5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Invisible Ink (Kindle Edition)
This book is fantastic. It points out a number of key story elements that may seem so simple and obvious when he first mentions them, but are so integral to making the story work as a whole that you cannot begin to imagine why you left them out. Even if you haven't left them out, then it's interesting to hear it explained in such a clear way.

Were the book written in the dry and dusty format of educational books, I doubt this would have been so useful to me. McDonald has a very engaging 'voice', and the way he eagerly points out examples in films, books, plays and real life, shows a passion that quickly becomes contagious. It becomes easy reading, and very enjoyable.

The greatest thing of all, though, is that this is a book for writing stories. Not novels, or TV scripts, or stage plays. It goes back to the core of all these types of entertainment - telling a good tale - and as such it almost transcends genre. For myself, I've recently used it to help write a short graphic novel and to bring life back into my short stories, and I think this ability to go across genres and platforms makes this book invaluable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Guidance/Reference Book, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Invisible Ink (Kindle Edition)
A great book for people who need more giudance on writing. Aimed mostly at screenplay writers, but also useful for novel writers (like me). Useful examples, and some of the films are my favourites, which increased my enjoyment of this book. It was interesting to see the interpretation of some aspect of their plot and how the author of this book found that particular film to be relevant. Easy to read. The only downside I saw was that I wished there was more directly related to writing a novel, and not a screenplay, but then, a scene is a scene and can sometimes be tweaked to fit a novel, after all, many stories are thought up as books first, and then bought to the big screen. I have the Kindle version of this, and it is a good reference book

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Invisible Ink (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me (often a great way of finding out about things) a quick read - very interesting and I shall recommend it to others who like creative writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Content great, but can be read on the authors blog, for free., 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Invisible Ink: A Practical Guide to Building Stories That Resonate (Paperback)
The book is great, no doubt about it. Brian McDonald i sharp, direct, and easy to understand. There's only one minus: 80% of the content written in his book can be read on his blog, for free. Some of the content is almost copy/paste work. Please, do not misunderstand me, the content is great, but if you buy something, you might expect that you'll get more value for the money, but you don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, 7 Dec 2012
I really enjoy reading this book, nothing in it is superfluous. Very useful tips I can immediately use for my own writing.

Invisible Ink: A Practical Guide to Building Stories That Resonate
Invisible Ink: A Practical Guide to Building Stories That Resonate by Brian McDonald (Paperback - 11 Jan 2010)
11.04