5.0 out of 5 stars Less Clutter, Less Stress
Published on 9 Jan 2011 by A Happier Person

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically a de-cluttering book
While it's true that there are four main sections of this book, the bulk of it is a room-by-room de-cluttering guide using the acronym STREAMLINE for each room. This made it feel really over-padded, which I thought ironic considering it was a book about minimizing things.

Published on 31 May 2011 by Dr. K. E. Patrick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Less Clutter, Less Stress, 9 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life (Paperback)
I am a fairly relaxed person who has always had lots of "stuff." I found it difficult to let go of things," they might be useful", "it s a waste to get rid of it as it hasn t been used!" So things piled up around the house and when you wanted to find something it became a nightmare. I tried getting organised,boxes to store the stuff I didn t use appeared and then where to store the boxes..

This book is amazing-it has allowed me to clear clutter,store sensibly(modules- you can find what you want)but most importantly let go of things I don t need.Now when I walk into a room I see clear surfaces,everything in it own place (well, most of the time)and when I tidy I know where things "belong." I have given to charity "family" items, that were in storage, without guilt and the whole process has made me feel good.I still have a long way to go but I will continue.

If you want to get organised and feel in control of the stuff in your home,read this book.

Oct 30, 2011- Still getting rid of stuff, but life is so much easier- I cannot reccommend this book highly enough.

Buy it, it really will change your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 15 Feb 2011
This book is well written, easy to read and very useful. I have read many books about minimalism but I found this one to be outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A how-to guide for thriving with less, 29 Aug 2010
In these times of economic uncertainty, downsizing may bring an emotional upheaval when trying to get by on fewer things. Fortunately, Francine Jay makes this journey a trip to genuinely cherish in "The Joy of Less". She presents minimalism not as something barren and empty but as freedom and space that makes our lives more enjoyable. And where can this make more of a personal impact than our homes?

This book is in four parts: Philosophy, Streamline, Room by Room and Lifestyle. In Philosophy, she introduces the concept of minimalism and asks the reader to think about our possessions and the value we attach to them: Are we defined by what we own? How much is enough to possess and actually use? And how clutter keeps us back in several ways, not just physically but at the very core of our lifestyle.

In Streamline, she lays out a methodical and clear strategy of de-cluttering our homes. In fact, `Streamline' itself is a handy ten-word mnemonic to guide the process of, well, streamlining! Separating our possessions into Trash, Treasure or Transfer helps to identify what we need to keep and what we can let go - either to the dump or to sell or donate to charity. And everything we keep must make a strong case to remain and have a place it can stay. Which is not on a surface like a table or even the floor, that must remain clear of objects lest it attracts stray items like a magnet. Her concept of storage cuts across three realms: Inner circle, outer circle and deep storage for items used often, sometimes and rarely respectively. `Room by Room' takes the streamline concept and applies it to each room in your home, taking into account the different and unique purpose of them all. She goes into detail how each space can be overhauled into peaceful, calm and de-cluttered oasises.

She closes in her `Lifestyle' section with a homily to expanding minimalism from de-cluttering to saving time from our busy schedules and even to a concept of `minsumerism', a means of reducing our consumption by the Three Rs of reduce, re-use and recycle. This is not an eco-rant on the sly but an instructive exploration of how a life of `enough' can pay dividends on the resources of the planet. She sums this up by comparing an ever-seeking, never-satisfied hunger for material acquisition as akin to a bull in a china shop, when in fact a more considerate approach is more like a butterfly, moving gracefully and lightly without leaving nary a footprint behind!

This is a great book from the writer of the `Miss Minimalist' blog (and NOT a reprint of what appears online). As we all face potentially stark choices of doing more with less in these trying times, we could all embrace `The Joy of Less'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best decluttering book I've read, 18 Dec 2012
Being a pack-rat, I have come to the point where I have to declutter, big time! Since it's all about the mindset, I decided to read some books on the matter. This book, by far, is the best one I've read on the topic.

To be honest, the word 'minimalist' in the title, did put me off. I mean, going from pack-rat to minimalist is a tall order, and it's highly unlikely to happen. And while I'll never live in a space with only one or two things, I feel this book has transformed the way I see space (i.e. it has a value!) and whether the things in it, are worth more than the space it takes up.

Essentially, this book takes you on a journey that teaches you exactly how to clear your space, so that you're only left with the things you use or value most (your 'treasures'), and reminds you that you don't need 100 biro pens - 10 will do! The author's writing style is also a joy. Often funny, and definitely friendly, you feel that you have a friend on your side who's cheering you on by the sidelines.

Yes. If you have lots of stuff... too much in fact, I definitely recommend this book. :0)

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear, instructional and informative., 10 Jan 2012
May Kasahara (Central London) - See all my reviews
The book is a very thorough instructional guide on how to de-clutter your home, minimise your possessions and live a simple and more meaningful existence. The structure is clear - the author starts by explaining different reasons for and benefits of adopting a minimalist lifestyle, she then goes on to give thorough instructions on how to clear each room in your home. Because she gives a chapter for each room, at times it seems repetitive but the plus side is you can dip in and out of the book and some of the advice she gives is very specific and useful - particularly for the kitchen and bathroom. The book ends with useful and concise final chapters to help simplify your life. I would recommend Leo Babuata's book The Power of Less along with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically a de-cluttering book, 31 May 2011
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

To my mind, Aslett's Clutter's Last Stand does a better job of motivating a major de-cluttering blitz, and Payne's Simplicity Parenting does a better job of explaining how to live a simpler life, not just in terms of stuff, but in terms of routine and meal-planning and a whole lot of other areas of our lives where we have become over-committed and over-stressed.

That said, there were still some useful tips in this book. The STREAMLINE acronym helped a lot (though I really only needed to see it in action in one room to get the hand of it), and I enjoyed the first section about the minimalist philosophy.

2.0 out of 5 stars repetitive, 30 May 2014
This book is OK. I wanted to read something about minimalism and this served its purpose. However, it's really just chapter after chapter of this: go to a room in your house, take out all the stuff, put back what you really want, get rid of the rest, organise the stuff you do keep, don't get more stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, inspiring book!, 31 May 2011
I especially liked the first part of the book. In the second part, where Francine explains decluttering room by room, she sometimes repeats herself. But over all this is a great book on minimalism and why you should want to be a minimalist. I had already started decluttering 2 years ago (slowly, room by room, little by little), but this book helped me speed up the process. My house looks so much nicer now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 30 Dec 2013
Have several friends who are on the declutter path so have lent this book out several times. We collect all this stuff having got caught up in a materialistic world. i.e. my friend had five ways of making a cup of coffee -now she has one! If you do a big declutter it lifts your mood and frees your mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Conceptually good, but repetitive, 4 Jun 2012
I've read this lady's blog, and I enjoy her writing and approach to modern minimalism.
I was really looking forward to reading the book, especially because of the good reviews. I appreciate the concepts that this book introduces, and I would love to follow through on all the advice within my life.

However I have to admit that I started to read the book and gave up half way through due to boredom. It's repetitive, and although that may be useful to drive the message home, it feels to me like it's been drawn out to create a book. Let's just put this down to me being a quick learner, and having absorbed the lessons in the introductory part of the book, without having to go through the principles on a room by room basis.

The price was good, and I do not feel like I have wasted my money. Furthermore, I will be loaning this book to my mother, who I think will benefit from the book immeasurably!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›