Format: PaperbackChange

on 20 September 2012
While there are authorative works on low carb approach in general (see Gary Taubes and Loren Cordain in particular), this book fills an important gap for athletes. It is written in an engaging style, with enough science to be convincing but without being too long. It explains why a low-carb approach makes perfect sense even for those undertaking endurance effort, particularly why carbs are not necessary during or after exercise in those adapted to this type of diet. Much advice for athletes in the past advocated switching to carbohydrates in training while reducing their intake in other times. Authors provide practical advice, including specific recipes, on how to personalise a low card diet and ensure adequate intake of micronutrients. A very good read and an invaluable short practical reference.
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2013
I've been eating a ketogenic diet/LCHF (≤ 5 E% carbs, 15-20 E% protein and 75-80 E% fat) for appr. 15 months now and haven't been in a better physical shape in my entire adult life. I'm 45 yo. From the beginning (jan 2012) it was an experiment and I didn't know much about low carb until a friend of mine told me ha was on a LCHF diet/lifestyle and felt so good. The first few days on LCHF my body just calmed down and my cravings for snacks disappeared, after five days my IBS-problems (since appr. 15 years) disappeared and after five months I had lost 10 kg (22 lbs) from my original 68 kg (150 lbs) to 58 kg (128 lbs), without hunger. After six months I coldn't sit still anylonger and took up running for the first time in 13 years. Slowly but surely I got back my fitness and strength and now I run 12-15 km comfortably. At that time I didn't know much about a ketogenic diet but felt great even during longer runnig sessions. I've read a lot of books (by Gary Taubes and others) and blogs on the internet (mostly Peter Attias [... and primalnorth.blogspot.ca) and have been building on my "knowledge database". A month ago I started training CrossFit and was a little worried that my very low carb diet wouldn't be enough (too little carbs) to let my muscles and body recover, but boy was I wrong. I'm doing three to four WODs a week and I feel great. I bought and read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" to understand how the body works in a ketogenic state and when doing hard workouts. The book is an easy read but will challange your beliefs if you've been living with the dogma that a lot of carbs are necessary to keep your body going for a long time or to do hard workouts. Volek and Phinney explains why and how low carb performance works, and if you have an open mind and try it out yourself you will never go back to carb loading and filling your body with junk. Read and learn, and have the body and fittness of a healthy 20 yo. It's absolutely possible!
0Comment40 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2013
I have been following a ketogenic diet for about two years to maintain my 4 stone weight loss but my marathon training was difficult. Many of the things this book has taught me made so much sense to me, I have improved my diet and I hope my endurance will improve. Fantastic book, I read it in one evening, very factual with great sources, helped me trust what I was being told was based in science and not just some faddy diet being sold to the masses.
on 30 October 2013
Lots of science here, which I like, but not to everybody's taste. Howerver, the implications for the nation's eating habits are massive. The conclusions are inescapable, and I can vouch for them personally. Reduce your carbohydrate intake, increase good fat and you lose weight - yes, you really do! - and your performance levels go up. It's counter-intuitive and extraordinary. The research is of a very high quality and well described, but is sufficiently measured and hypeless to generate real gravitas. If you need scientific proof that a low carbohydrate lifestyle is the way to go, this is for you. It has improved my performance on the bike markedly.
on 19 September 2012
This book is a must for anyone interested in low carbohydrate dieting. No,it is a absolute must read for anyone interested in nutrition.
on 15 March 2013
There are quite a few good books on low carb diets and their benefits for the general population, reducing metabolic syndrome etc. I'd been given the Taubes book (also highly recommended) by a friend, but wondered if this would be useful to me, as a keen long-distance/marathon runner. I am lucky enough not to hit the wall as long as I stay well-fuelled, and don't tend to suffer from the digestive side-effects of the gels etc. But I'm interested in lowering body fat, and decreasing the inflammatory response to exercise too.....
So, this book is very well written. I'm a doctor, with a personal interest in nutrition, and the science is both well explained for non-medics and well-referenced etc for those with a scientifically critical approach. The science does make sense as a stand alone, but if you want lots of detail then go back to the Taubes or the first Art&Science book in support.
If you think that low carb for endurance is rubbish, then read this to challenge your thinking and if you are interested in any aspect of endurance training, then have a read and think about it...... go on...............
on 22 July 2013
I bought this after reading numerous reviews. I am familiar with the works of Volek and so anticipated a comprehensive guide to low carb nutrition for athletes and/or those interested in body comp training. Although it delivers in part, I felt it was a bit light in the crucial areas (almost designed for those with no concept of low carb eating, which is a bit strange considering most weekend warriors could explain the basis of ketogenic dieting) and padded out by recipes and some anecdotes from none too recognisable endurance athletes. I also thought it was clearly geared towards endurance pursuits, marathons, triathlons, etc, and not towards explosive sports or body composition training. That said, there is enough information here for anyone considering experimenting with ketogenic dieting to equip them for the project and for this reason, and Volek’s use of science-backed research, I would recommend this.
on 13 May 2015
A thoughtful, evidence based approach to eating that is rare amongst the low fat rhetoric we are exposed to these days. I am a good level age group cyclist whose strength and endurance has increased over the last few months as well as an improvement in body composition. On a recent training camp in Majorca I was able to complete 3-4 hour rides on a low carb breakfast and a few almonds, while other riders were inhaling carb drink, gels and energy bars and still running out of energy. Although my doctor says I'm likely to have a heart attack any minute, he is 30 kilos overweight whereas my body fat is under 15%. My health markers, BP, cholesterol and triglycerides are also excellent. Give this a couple of months and experiment on yourself as I have and you'll feel better than you ever thought you could.
on 26 January 2014
Perfect companion to The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable!

I can only repeat what I've said about the book listed above.
Having been interested in the topic of "how does food intake relate to physical health and optimum body chemistry" for more than a quarter of a century now (Yes! 28 years+ to date, to be precise!) both my husband Gordon Kay and I would without hesitation recommend this book (and its twin!) since following the preachings and lessons therein has led to a total change of our eating habits with amazing results to both of us. We thought we were already in "pretty good nick" (something which was confirmed by a full medical with full blood works during the summer of 2013) but we decided to switch to the "ketogenic Diet" for at least 6 months to see what it would do to our bodies and our wellbeing in general. All we can say from a personal point of view - and I do speak for my husband too - is that we have never felt healthier! Considering that we were already on top of the world before, I suppose that's put us now out there, in the stratosphere-of-good-health!

Although perhaps a trifle "scientific" for the ordinary lay-person, the book perfectly complements its companion, and for anybody who is interested in a more technical explanation behind it all, the book will be a didactic eye-opener.

With all the material that is nowadays availabe to help us on the way to optimum health, the teachings in these books have most certainly had a tremendous impact on our wellbeing and anyone seriously considering a change of lifestyle toward improved wellbeing can only benefit from them.

Smiles, Emm :) :)
Illustrator of Provost: The Unfinished Manuscript
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2013
The book describes in some detail how and why endurance athletes might want to go ketogenic
I had expected more info relevant for strength and power athletes - which is the main reason I haven't given it five stars