VINE VOICEon 30 November 2012
This book has all the information you will need to start on a low carb diet. Wether it's for weight loss, to cure conditions you may have or to prevent yourself from becoming overweight and ill, Dr's Volek and Phinney go through all aspects of the low carb lifestyle with all the backup information you'd expect from interested healthcare professionals.
This book also addresses the concerns that family doctors may have about low carb and so would be a useful learning tool for them to educate themselves so they can be of more help to those who choose this diet.
on 16 March 2015
Solid information based on medical research and which explains why the "Low fat, wholegrain, sunflower oil" people are seeing their waistlines expand by the day. I would say that up to 25% of the book may not mean too much to the layman, as it was written with the medical profession in mind, but the rest of it is so informative and convincing that it's a gem and ought to be read by anyone who is concerned about what modern food is doing to their body. The title says it all: it's the art and the science.
on 10 August 2013
I found this book helpful to understand much more about low carb living. There are things you need to understand to be able to do it properly and this book helped me. It's not a light read, it's very informative and that's what I wanted.
on 17 November 2015
I have changed my diet radically since reading this book and I have never felt better. As a result of making dietary changes, I lost 10Kg in 4 months and thanks to now having an understanding of the science behind what I out in my mouth, it's staying off. Recommended reading.
on 17 February 2013
I read the Barry Groves book before this. i wanted a book which is a bit more balanced and less 'manic' in its opinions (not that I didn't think Barry's book is a good read and certainly changed my views on food science and the food industry). It's a good reference book and well written.
on 28 January 2015
Reading this book helped me make a major change in my life.
I feel better for it and have lost weight. I've also gained other benefits (BP has come down, which could be due to multiple factors but these were triggered by the change in my diet).

I'm now buying some smaller trousers.....
on 6 February 2013
It was the explanation and instruction I needed to get started with the ketone-thing. I feel empowered throughout the whole day and I no longer feel tired in the midafternoon.
on 27 March 2013
At the time of purchasing this book I was a protein diet convert (I have since slightly altered my position, believing there are certain cases when carbohydrate reduction rather than elimination is better). However having read two other books on heavily reducing carbohydrate consumption and a lot on the internet, I felt I was ready to understand some of the history, science and theory behind why this works. Unfortunately I found this book quite heavy going, like walking through treacle. I personally did not find any unique guidance on how to healthily adapt this diet to your lifestyle. I do think I am probably more focussed on tips and on how to get results, rather than the explanations. But for those who like the theory, this may be a good choice.
on 25 February 2015
This has to be a must read for anyone interested in their health but particularly if you have T2D. Type 2 Diabetes.
I found it scientific but easy to follow and to understand. The information is presented in a very user friendly fashion and succinctly.
It the one book to give to your GP or Family Doctor.
on 2 January 2014
A thorough insight into Low Carb living, weighing the pros and cons scientifically but presented in a way that is easy to understand. It is also a credible piece of evidence to shove under the nose of your doctor before he has you embark on a life of dietary advice that is built on shaky foundations and pills you don't need.

Also recommend "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by the same authors for those who want to pursue a low carb approach to sport.