5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Pill
Published on 8 Jan. 2012 by Amaryllis

3.0 out of 5 stars Workbook for first draft of novel
Written in a friendly approachable style, THE 90-DAY NOVEL takes an unusual approach in that it makes a good effort at explaining the unconscious aspects of writing. Combining tips and secrets, quotes and writing exercise, Watt encourages the reader through the dynamic process of completing a first draft of a novel within a 90-day period.

His explanation of...
Published on 2 Feb. 2012 by Judy Croome

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Pill, 8 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within (Paperback)
I've always dreamed of finding the one book that will change everything. So far, Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft has been my writer's bible, the book I turn to in times of doubt and trouble. But lately there has been big trouble. After several novel starts and abandonments I finally, with the King book by my side, allowed myself to start writing the novel I really wanted to write. I loved it. I wrote every day, bum on seat, and realised that 1200 words a day was comfortable and achievable for me. Then, at around 50600 words, I hit a wall. A massive, unscalable wall. I kept writing. But it was so... DUMB. And I had literally lost my plot. And I was no longer in love with my main character. And I realised I had no facility with the English language at all. The writing tailed off, broke up, and dissipated into a few messy sentences.

In despair I turned to Amazon, as I usually do, searching for The Book (I think it was Freud who said you can learn more about yourself from reading a menu than a book... maybe I need to read more Freud) and found The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the Story Within, with one 5-star review. I guess it was a very convincing review because I bought it. Scanned the intro. Okay. Sat at my laptop and did the first very short, very simple exercise. WHAM! KAPOW! Did the second, very short, very simple exercise. BAM! And the third; well, I tell you, it was like the stars came out and exploded. With even those first few simple exercises (which honestly seemed quite like ones I'd heard before, in all those other writing books I've read), my entire novel, and my entire way of thinking about it was transformed. Ideas and understanding came pouring in. I couldn't keep up with the revelations. It sounds hyperbolic, and admittedly I love a bit of hyperbole, but it really was amazing. It's the meaning Watt gives to the exercises, and the meaning you give to them, which is the key to their power. Joking aside, this is powerful stuff.

So now my writing First Aid kit contains Stephen King for the 'do it, do it now, and keep doing it' kick-start, and the Alan Watt for revelations and revivication along the way. Maybe it won't work for everyone. But it's been a wonder drug for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Workbook for first draft of novel, 2 Feb. 2012

His explanation of showing versus telling to add life to a story was very good, as were many of the writing secrets he revealed. At last I feel comfortable being a writer who prefers to write with only the vaguest sense of where the story is leading me!

While repetition is a good teaching technique in a live workshop environment, encouraging students to remember core concepts, there was a lot of repetition in this book. At times this was annoying.

I'm also not a fan of writing books that have writing exercises as an integral part of reading the book - my only reading time is late at night, in bed, which makes doing writing exercises difficult. Other readers who like doing practical exercises to help them understand may find the book easier to read than I did.

I did pick up many useful tips on writing a novel quickly, the main one being to trust my own writing process and not to fear writing the forbidden.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, 27 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within (Paperback)
I cant give a full review of this book yet, but at the moment it is massively helping me get out my first novel. It gives a clear plan of how to structure your time, the first four weeks or so are focusing on your idea and getting your plot sorted and every aspect of the book covered, from your characters desires and drives to what motivates them. It then leads you on to writing the book itself. Im currently on day 30 and at the writing stage.

Its definitely a must have book for anyone struggling on how they get their 'great novel' out on actual paper. I know I've been trying over a year to get my idea down into some sort of structure and its only now through using this book I actually know what my plot is, and can start to write with the knowledge I may actually finish.

Alan Watt also writes incredibly nice, always reassuring you throughout the process, giving you exercises, examples and basic plot structures to follow. Also the challenge itself of writing the whole first draft in 90 days really makes you want to keep writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, practical and inspiring, 9 Jan. 2013
This is a real treasure. Lots of books are available on writing but this one makes such good sense and supports great personal insight as well as offering many practical tips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within (Paperback)
Great very informative and easy to follow

The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within
The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within by Alan Watt (Paperback - 10 Oct. 2010)