1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 11 Aug 2009
lynsey adams "Kanga" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There isn't much information about paperclay out there for those who want to try it, and I bought this on the strength of the small but interesting looking colour illustrations on the cover, and because I already have the Ceramics Handbook 'Paper Clay' second edition, by the same author.

I expected an update and addition of techniques with, as the blurb promises, '150 photos, illustrations and charts. I was sadly disappointed.

For a start, if this book is meant to be a 'studio companion', I can't think of any studio where it would last five minutes. One would have expected the book to be ring bound, or at least more sturdy. Instead the cover is very flimsy, the book is small - smaller than the ceramics handbooks, and they are small enough, the paper although nice and white, is thin and uncoated. It would damage very easily.

The '150 photos' etc, are without exception black and white, very small, with a good number of very badly drawn and difficult to understand, again very small line illustrations. The only colour illustrations are on the cover. It looks and reads like a text book, dry and old fashioned apart from the typeface, which is modern.

The text in the final chapter, 'More from my Notebooks', changes from a just about readable sans serif typeface to a smaller - sometimes very small indeed, serif face - no doubt to try and make it look as though it did come 'out of a notebook'. Some parts would necessitate the use of a magnifying glass and the line drawings get even worse.

It is written in a 'question and answer' format, so if your question isn't there - hard luck. We get, 'What is Paper Clay?', 'What is so special about it?', and the one that mystifies me:

'What new forms in ceramic can now be realised with simple and economical paper clay?' The answer to that, is: 'THIS QUESTION CAN ONLY BE ANSWERED BY AN ARTIST WHOSE IMAGINATION WOULD BE WELL SERVED WITH SUCH A MEDIUM IN HIS OR HER HAND'. Is it me, or is this what is commonly known as a load of old rubbish?

We go through pinch pots, coil making, etc, etc, but by then I was losing the will to live. There may well be some interesting information in this book, but its format and appearance are so boring, that you will be asleep before you reach the end, or find the answer to your question.

There is nothing much here that cannot be gleaned from the Ceramic Handbook by the same author, which also has a wealth of inspiring coloured photos, and none of the incredibly bad line drawings which are so frustrating and look very amateurish.

I see that the 'recommended price' is said to be over £18 - I am struggling to believe it is worth even the Amazon price of £12.03.

As there is already available a far superior book by the same author, I can only question whether or not this is a cynical ploy by the publisher and maybe the author to cash in on the popularity of the first book. I can't imagine anybody wanting to keep this if they already have the earlier publication.

Don't be fooled by the illustrations on the cover, the contents just don't live up to expectations. I started off by giving the book two stars, but it is so awful - particularly the photographs and drawings, that it only deserves one - for the illustrations on the cover, assuming you can see them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic instructions, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Paperclay for Ceramic Sculptors: A Studio Companion (Perfect Paperback)
The book has some good basic instructions. I found all I needed to get started!
If you never sculpt before you will find all the basic techniques.

Paperclay for Ceramic Sculptors: A Studio Companion
Paperclay for Ceramic Sculptors: A Studio Companion by Rosette Gault (Perfect Paperback - 9 Sep 2010)