5.0 out of 5 stars ..
briliant book couldnt put it down. the use of imagery made me feel like i was there. i would definetly recommend this book.
Published 12 months ago by jay

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much of interest here for me....
Whilst I found the story and the concept interesting i didn't enjoy reading the book that much. There's not a great deal of BJJ in the book - instead we are treated with the authors various tedious insecurities and self-centred world view. it is basically an autobiography of someone who is not particularly interesting!
I wouldn't read it again.
Published 18 months ago by redearth

5.0 out of 5 stars .., 1 July 2013
This review is from: The Cauliflower Chronicles: A Grappler's Tale of Self-Discovery and Island Living (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it, 5 Jun 2013
Pleasant enough read with some good insights into Hawaiian life and the grievances that Hawaiians feel about the treatment they have received.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much of interest here for me...., 23 Dec 2012
I wouldn't read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grappling with life...., 18 Sep 2012
I've been wanting to write a review of Marshall D Carper's book 'The Cauliflower Chronicles' since finishing it earlier this year, following a recent re-reading I'm finally getting round to it.

I've heard it said before that what makes a good travelogue is that the author puts as much of themselves in to it as they do the place that they're writing about. Norman Mailer wrote that a good memoir allows the reader to put themselves in the shoes of the writer even though they may never have been in similar circumstances. With 'The Cauliflower Chronicles' Carper does both these things and more.

The book begins with Carper having broken up with a serious girlfriend and moving to Hawaii to study, heal his heartbreak and most importantly, for the book and for me, to train with Jiu Jitsu/MMA legend BJ Penn and earn his Blue Belt from the man himself.

Joined by a colourful cast of supporting characters - fellow students, grapplers, locals and others - Carper falls in love with the island rather than a girl and by the end of the book it's difficult to imagine a Hawaii that's anything other than the one he describes. Visiting some of the most notable spots on The Big Island, lava flows, waterfalls, cliffs, beaches Carper takes us to the idyllic side of Hawaii. In the background, however, Carper is always cognisant of the tension that exists, with good reason, between indigenous Hawaiians and 'Haoles' or White people, giving the reader a useful potted history of Hawaii and it's exploitation/colonisation/oppression by the USA that nicely contextualises some of the sentiments that he encounters.

It's Carper's personal journey that makes this book though - his quest for the Blue Belt, falling in love with the Big Island and it's people, struggling (with himself as much as with others) for acceptance at BJ's gym and trying to get to roll with the man himself. All told with good pace and in self deprecating entertaining language that stops the right side of maudlin and betrays the insight that the author has in to himself and his own life.

For the Jits player or MMA fighter there's plenty of training insights. Particularly nice are the descriptions and appreciations of how the others in the gym fight, their style, strengths or how they teach. This is especially interesting when Carper talks about rolling with Charuto or Gunnar Nelson or any of the Penn brothers (this makes a particularly intriguing comparison).

Best of all for me it gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get back on to the mat after an absence of over two years. Did it re-ignite my love of grappling? Let's just say that the first session in nearly three years back at the gym was a submission grappling class.......

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding read!, 25 Jun 2012
excellent book. this guy lived the life every grappler would wish for. if interested in grappling, bjj or hawaii its worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars We need more grappling books!, 11 Dec 2010
I read this book over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is fast paced and the author keeps the story moving. This book is one of many stories out there that shows how BJJ or submission grappling can change, cause us to alter or even disrupt our lives so we can train.

Carper's adventure took place in a colorful setting but a lot of it reminds me of the experiences and thoughts we all share as grapplers. We need more stories like these and as a grappling fanatic I know that I will purchase every book that comes out.

Posted by Bakari Akil II, Ph.D., (Jiujitsu365), author ofThe Lazy Man's Guide to Grappling
Grappling for Newbies: What every new BJJ and Submission Grappler should know!
Pop Psychology: The psychology of pop culture and everyday life!

5.0 out of 5 stars the cauliflower chronicles, 13 May 2011
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a personal travel log.You don't have to be into grappling,but you will get even more out of it if you are.If you are lucky enough to be going to Hawaii this would be a perfect,street level guide.
It is written with great modesty and humour and tells a story of a great modern day adventure.
Buy this book now!