5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to understand the FODMAPs diet
Published 11 months ago by rachelcreative

Published 5 months ago by I Read, Therefore I Blog

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to understand the FODMAPs diet, 24 April 2014
rachelcreative (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: IBS - Free at Last! Second Edition: Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet (Paperback)
I particularly appreciate the style in which this is written making it accessible and easy to implement the FODMAPs diet. She explains everything well and goes into detail about the Challenge Phase of the diet which I found sketchy in the other book I've read on FODMAPs diet (The Complete Low-Fodmap Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing Ibs and Other Digestive Disorders).

She has a good Q&A section and goes also into the science of FODMAPs. I also recommend Patsy's blog where she publishes new findings which have allowed me to update a few things on the allowed/not allowed food lists - new testing is happening all the time and it's impossible for a published book to be absolutely up to date on FODMAPs.

The only thing missing, for which I'd point you to Sue Shepherd's book instead, is a detailed look at bowel function, although this is touched on. I think Patsy wants to keep the book accessible and for me it's like someone talking it over with me, whereas Sue's book feels much more technical and formal. Over the two I think, despite the title which I'm not a big fan of, the IBS Free At Last would be my go to book to get you started quickly and easily on the FODMAPs diet. I have done quite a bit of reading about this diet on the internet but found the book essential to having the confidence and strategy to implement it. There's also conflicting information about some foods, so having Patsy's blog to suppliment gives me faith in using her information for this diet transforming process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful and Clear, 27 April 2014
I had IBS some years ago but thought I had it under control by eliminating yeast products.. After a stressful house move, my symptoms flared up worse than ever, so I bought this book to try and work out what to do. The advice was clear, helpful and practical, and made me completely re-think what I eat and what might be causing my problems. It also explained the complexity of the issue and why I was suddenly having problems. As soon as I started on the recommendations my symptoms subsided and then disappeared within a week. On top of that I've lost weight and my stomach looks so much flatter. I would recommend this book for anyone with IBS.

As a result of what I read and the results I got, I have since read The Paleo Solution by Rob Wolf and am now 21 days into his 30 day challenge. I feel fab, with loads of energy, no IBS symptoms and have lost 10 lbs.

3.0 out of 5 stars The US market focus makes it tough to comply with but there's useful information here as a starting place, 30 Oct. 2014
Patsy Catsos is a registered dietician. This book sets out the FODMAP diet, which is an elimination diet that sufferers of IBS can use to identify specific food groups that aggravate irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms and thus eliminate them to improve their condition. FODMAP stands for Fermentable Oligo-Di and Mono-saccharides And Polyols, essentially foods that are high in lactose, fructose and gluten. Catsos explains that these types of food can be poorly absorbed in the intestine, create a lot of gas and hold excess fluid in the gut, all of which can aggravate IBS. The diet itself is simple – you go 2 weeks without eating any FODMAP products and then reintroduce each of lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols, and galactans for one week each, noting down reactions to work out the effects.

The book sets out suggested menus together with shopping lists, label reading tips and lists of foods that are high in FODMAP ingredients. Unfortunately this is a US-focused book so some products and food types aren’t widely available in the UK (although it’s not impossible if you go to a big supermarket) and British food labelling is different to that in the US, which can make it difficult to comply with the diet (although not impossible). There’s also a very good reader question section, which helps to bring out some of the nuances of the diet and addresses some things that look like inconsistencies (e.g. why spelt isn’t permitted during the elimination phase of the diet but is permitted in a low FODMAP diet). However there is no explanation for other inconsistencies, e.g. why soy sauce is allowed but soy milk and soy beans are not.

I found it very difficult to keep to the elimination phase of the diet, not least because eliminating all of those foods aggravated my symptoms to an unbearable level. It wasn’t a complete bust as I did find some foods that aggravated my condition but I can’t say that the book itself changed my life, as the title promises. There’s a lot of evidence that food impacts on IBS but my personal feeling is that if you want to go down this route then while the book is a good starting point, you should also consult with a nutritionist to make sure you have something tailored to the UK food market and thereby make it easier to comply with.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far so good, 24 Nov. 2012
am only into the 2nd week of the elimination phase,havent felt this well for a long time,fingers crossed.its looking promising

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 5 May 2013
This book was a revelation it broken down the different types of carbs which can aggravate IBS in a simple and clear manner. I have already recommended this books to my friends. The book was delivered within days and was in very good condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anyone with digestive problems?, 11 Sept. 2013
I chose this rating as I thought the book was informative to my needs. The FODMAP diet is a diet that I have always been interested in and the book is extremely educative in foods that are high in FODMAPs and foods that are low. The books also talks about eliminating and introducing certain foods at certain times. I would recommend this book to anyone that has digestive issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive source of advice and information., 30 Nov. 2013
As someone recently diagnosed with IBS and following a FODMAP diet, this book has been an essential purchase.
Lots of explanation in a way that I can understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the book, not the Kindle version, 23 Nov. 2012
It's a bit techy but you can sift through that to the practical bits. I would recommend getting the paper version over the Kindle as the Kindle version is a bit hard to refer back to.

5.0 out of 5 stars IBS Book, 29 April 2013
G. N. Howells - See all my reviews
I am a sufferer and bought this book to read elimination diets ie FODMAP. I have tried some of the reccommended foods and have noticed a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant clear information try it, 29 Mar. 2014
I haven't finished reading it yet but already it has helped me identify foods that for so many years have caused me great discomfort.It is easy reading but so informative. If you IBS you have got to read this book it has changed my life. At last I know what my triggers are.