5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
This is a great book. I don't think a similar book exists which comes close.

Published on 1 Oct 2009 by SimonHastins876

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, but could do with an editor...
Working in Upstream for the past 6 years as a service provider, I felt the need to deepen my knowledge of the entire hydrocarbon value chain. I picked up enough knowledge from this book to be dangerous, but obviously with such a vast topic, there is only so much one author can accomplish in 360 pages. Nevertheless, as the title clearly states this is a starting point, but...
Published on 3 Aug 2012 by Bob Spence

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
This is a great book. I don't think a similar book exists which comes close.

I liked Oil 101 so much that I bought a copy for my sister (she is a chemist outside the oil industry) and she tells me that she likes it very much also. So, I heartily recommend the book to those like myself that are in the oil industry as well as anyone outside the industry interested in oil. There are no other books I could make a similar recommendation about.

Oil 101 is a neither a non-technical book nor a technical book. It is a summary of the entire industry with enough meat on each part to keep it engaging and enlightening. It is a book which can be read several ways and this is what it so useful about it: you can read it knowing nothing about the oil industry or use it to fill in the gaps around the area you know particularly well.

Oil 101 describes each part of the oil business at a brisk pace with few wasted words. Every area is covered, from how oil is found, extracted, refined, stored and transported to how it is finally priced at the pump. Even though I am familiar with most of the technical aspects of how oil is found, I still learned a lot of interesting and useful information.

The first chapter is the best brief history of oil I have ever seen. It moves at a rapid pace and every single sentence is jammed with information. I learned more about the oil industry in the first twenty pages than I could ever have imagined. Although the book is dense with information, it is presented clearly and is highly readable.

I read a few chapters in the sequence presented and then jumped to various other chapters such as Exploration and Production, Transporting Oil, and Oil Prices. I have found myself keeping the book on my desk and opening a random page and refreshing my learning about something interesting. The index is excellent also for looking up oil market terms.

The financial markets side of oil was something I was not familiar with and it amazed me how oil prices and oil markets work. This was the piece of the oil puzzle most valuable to me.

In summary, I highly recommend the book Oil 101 as it has conquered the job of simplifying the elaborate puzzle of oil in a most interesting and entertaining way. It is a great read and reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oil guide for everyone, not just dummies, 31 Mar 2009
Serene Gardiner (UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
If you are just starting out, this is by far the best starter pack. Easy to read and follow. It covers every facet of the industry and hence, brilliant for those who want to impress. I wish I had this when I started.

If you are like me and I have been in the oil industry for a while, you will find this an invaluable reference guide. Whenever my brain fails me, I'd flip through for answer as it is well laid out and covers nearly everything. Not bogged down by excessive formula and chemistry, but just enough details to jog my brain back into action.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I've been waiting for, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
Oil 101 does an excellent job of explaining the mysterious workings of the oil industry. You must read this book in order to gain a thorough understanding of how our oil is produced. As part of my job I have dealt in the financial side of oil, so I am familiar with many of the concepts. Having had to discover many of the things that are simply laid out and explained in this book on my own through exhaustive research and years of experience really emphasizes the quality of the work. I wish I had something like this when I started out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect starting book for a career in Oil trading, 16 April 2009
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
With very limited knowledge of the oil industry, this becomes an encyclopaedia of knowledge. The attention to detail is impeccable whilst still keeping the content easy to understand for starters. I think in particular, there is a really good focus on fundamentals e.g. how oil is produced. It has helped me find all the information in one concise book as opposed to gathering information from several websites.

5.0 out of 5 stars The story of oil, 23 July 2009
Mr. D. Hickey "dkh" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
I was very pleased with my purchase of this book. I wanted to learn more about where oil comes from, how it is processed and how a price is achieved. It thoroughly covered these things. I learned many new facts about oil (too numerous to go into). I do have a background in geology and chemistry though have not worked in these areas. This background knowledge was of enormous help in reading the book. However if you have no science background yet are determined to find out more about oil then don't be discouraged. Merely skip to the areas you are most interested in or use the book as an opportunity to learn a little organic chemistry (you won't need much beyond the basics of organic chemistry -easy- to understand what is being said). To finish, if you are interested in how the entire oil industry operates this book will educate you in a no nonsense factual way. Don't continue to make do with the dross written in the press about what is making oil prices move. Stop listening to people go on about the oil industry and prices as if they knew what they were on about. Be an educated voice that calmly and sensibly informs.
Chapters
A brief history of oil, A crude assay, components of oil liquids, chemistry of oil, industry overview, exploration and production, refining, standards, finished products, petrochemicals, transporting oil, storage, seasonality, reserves, environmental regulations, new engine technologies (brief), Oil prices, forward oil markets -futures and swaps, forward oil markets - options, managing oil price risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Trader should have this!, 8 Nov 2011
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
Oil trading fascinates many people, and they long to get into it. However, it is one of those catch-22 situations, you can't get a foot in without experience, and yet you can't get experience without being in the business. Again, many people delude themselves into thinking they can get into it, without knowing so much about it, a fatal assumption in most cases.
This book gives a well-rounded picture of the product, the industry, its history and how to trade the product. It is the most comprehensive intro in this secretive industry I have ever read. If you want to get into physical oil and refined products trading, this book will be an invaluable companion. It may also help those in paper trading (futures, etc) to get a better understanding of the underlying physical product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, very interesting., 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
I recently dived into the world of oil and gas stocks and was looking for some background knowledge and specific details of the complete E&P process.

This book didn't disappoint. Despite being very informative describing very intricate details of the world of oil, I found the book a very interesting read.

Oil 101 was written by an investor, although offers no advise on investing in the business, it gives you the knowledge and tools to aid you in your quest for big profits in the most lucrative business in the world.

So weather you have similar goals to, myself or weather you are simply interested in the world of oil, this book covers the whole process from surveying to selling.

This book is the cheapest I have seen of its kind and from many reviews I have read seems to be the best.

Excellent buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive masterpiece, 3 Mar 2010
MartinRG "martinrg" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
In basic terms, the life cycle of oil is that you dig a hole, find crude, boil it and get products. This book takes you to the next level and way beyond, starting out with the industry itself and how it developed (as a way of replacing whale oil for lighting), through to exploration and refining and a great, kitchen-sink chapter on product types, which is incredible in its detail. Great use of diagrams and tables add to the narrative, the style is informative. There is a bit of repetition between chapters but this only emphasises the points being made and the information being given.

I've been in an oil company for a number of years and found the book enlightening, interesting and absolutely vital to anyone with even a passing interest in the industry, either Oil or Gas (which is also covered).

The data is bang up to date, encompassing biofuels and the latest developments.

I can't recommend this enough, it is a bargain at the RRP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
The first book I have bothered to review - an excellent overview of the oil industry from history through production, standards, transport and touching on the financial aspects. Very efficient to read - no fluffy stories - a concise guide. A good level of detail for somebody unfamiliar with the physical oil market. Would recommend for anybody junior involved in commodity trading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oil 101, 13 Jun 2009
Amin Bilal (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oil 101 (Hardcover)
I usually never bother to do reviews but this book is so exceptionally good that I had to find the time. It gives a non-industry person an excellent "macro" view of the industry which one can then use as a basis for further research and study. The lucidity of the explanations and the choice of concise, easy-to-understand language is truly exceptional. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Oil 101
Oil 101 by Morgan Downey (Hardcover - 1 Jan 2009)