5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fundamental game approach
Now if your the type of person that wants book on ultra cool, super flying armbar and other assorted flashy submissions and techniques, you might not want to read this book. Nor is it an MMA manual.

Published on 19 Dec 2008 by Mr. C. Bishop

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to other reviews!
Read brilliant reviews about this but this book did not live up to them. V. disappointing. Very limited amount of things shown. I thought it was designed for beginner Jiu Jitsu but only small section is for white belt
Published 1 month ago by laura

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fundamental game approach, 19 Dec 2008
Mr. C. Bishop (Isle of Man, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)

This is not a 'technique' book, it is a work book laying the foundations of a fundamental and functional BJJ game. What impressed me most is his attitude towards training and the mentality the athlete/practitioner/student should have towards their training (it's all just a game, loose the ego!!). Saulo then goes into what he believes the person should be focusing on during their progression through the belt ranks, and how you'll be on your black belt for the rest of your life so you need to set a solid foundation through the ranks.

It is well explained and Saulo presents a rational for everything he demonstrates in a concise and easy to assimilate language. What really impressed me was that he shows you what happens when you do other variations or poor escapes/techniques which reinforces what he demonstrates and improves you level of understanding of the game.

I've read books by other authors, which can be a bit more technique orientated rather than attempt to improve your understanding, and while I have enjoyed some of them, this is the first 'complete' workbook that I've come across.

Thoroughly recommended, and not a bad word to say about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 10 April 2009
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
Wow, this book is simply amazing. Ive read and own a small library of martial arts books and I must say that this one is possibly the best of them all.
The book is made up of varios sections that make sense to all students. From survival to passing the guard everything is in this book. Sure it is a sport BJJ book but this is what the BJJ is evolving into, a modern day sport. If yopu are more interested in the pure mma use of bjj then stay away from this book. It is for serious BJJ students. Im a Judo player who has tried and enjoyed BJJ and when i get my black belt in Judo ill go back to BJJ. This book has already helped me and it is essential reading for any bjj or Judo player wanting to get better regardless of their current level. Buy it and soon and you will see your game improve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mission-centric book., 2 Dec 2010
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
I'm on a beginner on Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, but a dan grade on traditional Ju-Jitsu. Great book. Highly detailed. Very accurate and includes plenty of helpful tips. Great detailed photos, clear and big, clearly illustrating the text. As for the text, seems its my intructor talking at some points!
Get something out of the way: the only one issue i've found: from the closed book you can see where white/blue/brown/black belt areas are, which is great. However, the purple belt area is within the blue (seems it was an editorial mistake), still, its blue and then purple chapters :) and as each page has the chapter indication on the top corner, its easy to see the given area.
The books seems to aim at helping you learn the lessons at the various levels, in fact it brings you down to 'learn the misson lessons for each belt and let time do the rest'.
It won't have all the techniques under the sun, it does a good job of what it wants to transmit and certainly has enough to keep you interested and busy I think.
Very pleased indeed. If all authors/publisers wouldbring material of this quality!!... Certainly, one of the best books I've ever bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book! Very well explained! Ideal for all levels!, 29 Sep 2011
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
I'm a beginner to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and needed a book that teaches fundamentals not super flashy submissions techniques that you see on the UFC. The book does teach these submissions but does not have an emphasis on them. I found that it is no use jumping into learning these flashy submissions before you know the basics, like how not get triangled or arm barred.

Each chapter is broken up into belt rankings, it also explains the philosophy on BJJ and explains what each belt ranking should be looking to achieve. In the white chapter Saulo explains that you should be looking to survive as opposed to trying to carry out submissions. He also shows in great detail what you shouldn't be doing. This is great for a beginner when you are rolling with someone alot more advanced than you. I have only had this book for a couple of weeks and my game has improved alot.

I highly recommend this book for anyone doing BJJ as it will increase your game and skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you have this one!, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
I am sure there isn't much i can say about this book that hasn't already been said so I will just give my own experience of it. I love martial arts books so i have quiet a few... In truth this is by far the best one i own. It is so easy and simple to understand, the pictures show you everything so clearly and from different angles (sometimes i just review the pictures without reading it to remember techniques). Saulo Ribeiro is a true MASTER not only of jujitsu but of `teaching' jujitsu as well. His approach to teaching is so clear and methodical something that tends to be uncommon in jujitsu i think. Anyway I brought this book after getting my butt kicked over and over again by a mate in my dojo. I read the whole section for "white belts" in the first week i had it. My next lesson was totally different.... don't get me wrong i wasn't rickson gracie but my friend was getting very annoyed that he couldn't tap me and that was a big step for me :) and its all thanks to this book. It gave me the foundation i needed to grow. It goes up throw the belts so its a book i will always use and love. This book has helped me more than anything ells to learn jujitsu so i could go on about it for ages but im sure it's all been said already. Whatever your level make sure you have this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic BJJ book, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
I can't praise this book enough.
As a BJJ novice I have been looking for any source of information which could aid my development and this book became my bible.

The way the book is written, the way techniques are explained and demonstrated is pretty much perfect as far as I am concerned. I was able to read, learn and take away with me so much from this book it was immediately gratifying.

I can only offer my own personal opinion on this book but for anyone who is going to start learning BJJ or is early on in their development then this book is a must.

I have previously read books written by the Gracie's, Andre Galvao and Eddie Bravo and this one comes out on top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginner, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
Excellent book for beginners, teaching basic defences that work. Breaks down the pitfalls and offers Lil tips. Would recommend to anyone

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bible in the making, 1 May 2011
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
I've had this about a month now, and have referred to it numerous times. It's a great reference book for the basics. It is by no means an exhaustive BJJ technique library but places emphasis on getting all the fundamentals down. If this could include some more advandced techniques in an updated addition or even a part 2 it would certainly become a Bible in the making.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you need, 9 Jun 2010
S. CHARMLEY "cHaRMo" (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
Fantastic Jiu Jitsu manual, highly recommended to all levels especially beginners, GI or no Gi. Allthough the book is ment for Gi, 90% makes no difference. Really good useful guide on levelling through your belts too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 21 Jan 2010
J. A. Boler (Chesterfield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jiu-jitsu University (Paperback)
A really well put together book that explains the grading system as it goes through them in order. It wo'nt work miracles but if you have somewhere to practice it gives some excellent techniques to work on and is really well explained an demonstrated in the many photographs>

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Jiu-jitsu University
Jiu-jitsu University by Kevin Howell (Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)
30.00