1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable! Absolutely Remarkable!, 23 Oct 2009
This review is from: Tarot Dynamics -- Learn to Read Any Spread (Paperback)
Several years ago when I became interested in reading the Tarot, I (like most beginners) purchased a large number of Tarot books and cards -in the hope of discovering new and better techniques and definitions. Yet, time after time I came away feeling disappointed (as well as confused) by the ongoing similarities and tedium between one book and another. I soon learned that "if I'd read one, I'd read them all" until the curious title Tarot Dynamics, caught my attention. Clever play on words!

I was surprised and pleased to discover that Tarot Dynamics shares some similarities with the book that I credit with having first taught me the Tarot, "It's All In The Cards" by John Mangiapane. Although each book presents the reader with a unique numerical break-down for the Minor Arcana Subject Cards (two through ten) Tarot Dynamics definitions are less cryptic enabling the reader to immediately understand and identify with the authors meaning. Curiously enough, both books also cite what Mr. Mangiapane refers to as a, Chart of Correspondences and Ms. Cook calls "basic keywords" for all five suits. Yet, where Tarot Dynamics simply reinforces it's " five basic keywords" throughout the book, It's All in the Cards, promotes the memorisation of 156 upright and reversed definitions! With Tarot Dynamics (aside from the expected necessity of memorising the name and number of all seventy-eight cards) in my opinion, even the most serious student needs only to memorise 13 keywords (the 5 basic plus 8 more for Subject Cards two through ten and 5 universal character traits to explain all twenty Court Cards!)

Clever layout too! Tarot Dynamics delivers upon it's promise that you'll soon be reading from whatever Tarot deck you fancy by inviting you to place the same Tarot Card, (from the 78 card Tarot deck) of your choice atop their illustration. Although Ms. Cook neglected to mention it, I discovered that her Tarot Dynamics definitions are also more than suitable for those of us who sometimes enjoy reading from any 22 card deck of Major Arcana Tarot Cards!

Best of all, Tarot Dynamics individual definition for each of the 78 cards Tarot Dynamics are second to none. The Right Pages provide a detailed definition (that shouldn't be missed!) the left pages consist of an illustration as well as a shorter definition thus enabling the more experienced reader (or those with more curiosity than patience) to immediately begin reading.

Whether you already know the Tarot, or, you're simply interested in learning the Tarot I strongly recommend that you invite Tarot Dynamics to be the next, (or first) Tarot Book you purchase!!

S, London

Tarot Dynamics -- Learn to Read Any Spread
Tarot Dynamics -- Learn to Read Any Spread by Anna Burroughs Cook (Paperback - 30 July 2009)
11.48