‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Build Your Own ASP.NET Website, 3 May 2005
Mr. J. P. Russell "JohnR" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I can thoroughly recommend this book for all those who are new to ASP.NET. The book covers a lot of ground whilst developing an intranet site which can form the basis for a more comprehensive site of your own. I used the book in conjunction with Web Matrix (not necessary, but useful) and was able to complete all the exercises without too many problems. There is a lively forum on the publisher's website which should be able to andle any problems that you face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to follow and extremely useful, 9 Dec 2005
Mr JM Chadwick (Warrington, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
I was brand new to ASP.net and VB programming and this book has helped me build a solid database driven website. Ideal for the novice as its all explained assuming you know very little (which I did).

5.0 out of 5 stars Slap on the wrist, 13 Mar 2008
Michael Ayers (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I titled this as 'Slap on the wrist' NOT for the book, but for MYSELF!
After buying this book in early 2006, it was left out of sight amongst my many programming books little read.

Having recently started a new job, I needed to convert from VB.NET to C# and pulled this book off my shelf for another look.

What a pleasant surprise to see everything you need to construct a well driven website, laid out very simply, with good examples in both VB and C#.
I SHOULD HAVE READ THIS BOOK SOONER!

An ideal start for anyone new to intermediate level in ASP.NET with good explanations and no geeky stuff.

It includes configuration of IIS, SQL Server Instances and the Web server,
View and Session states, Control events, Validation controls, Database design, SQL, ADO.NET, Data lists, Datagrids and Details view.

Also included is advanced data access, Security, User authentication and Roles, Working with Files and Email.

Well worth the money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST, 19 July 2005
Hi, I work in the IT industry, not programming but a network administrator. I would just like to say this book is by far the BEST! I have bought a number of books in the past to break into ASP.NET but this one by far helps you out the most. Id rate this book above the 'Beginning' books from WROX and also abovce the SAMS range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Jun 2005
I would definitely recommend this book...it helped me out so much when I had to create an interactive website for my final year project...and only had a month left to do it!
Right from the start, the book has a warm and friendly feel to it, explaining everything in such detail that it's not too overbearing for a beginner (like me) and not too patronising to someone who already has experience in web designing.
All the examples within the book are shown in both V.B and C# coding. Their content are then explained to help the reader understand why it's written in such a way - making it much easier for you to remember the coding and easier to program in that coding! Another advantage to the book is that all the examples are available online. So if you're having trouble typing (I got lazy!) you can download the coding and see a working version of what your website should look like.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must own for newbies and pros alike., 11 Mar 2008
Dave Johnston (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this book SO much. I hate reading techie books, I find it difficult to learn from a book without being able to produce something "real" at the end. Most techie books provide snippets that are hard to understand in relation to the rest of the code you might have. This book starts a project in the early chapters and uses the things learned throught out each chapter to improve the project.

This book takes you from nothing to something without the authors trying to prove to you that they know what they are writing about. What I mean by this is that they are able to explain the concepts in a nice clear and concise way that make it the first techie book I have not wanted to put down. They do this without using terms and examples that just make them look geeky and you feel stupid.

Buy this book, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars On the Whole a Good Book, 25 May 2007
G. Ian Hope "GI" (South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read this entire book in a weekend prior to carrying out an ASP.NET 2.0 development project for a client, as my web experience is in developing in other languages.

On the whole this was a good book, and certainly for the amateur developer, this will definitely get you up and started and building quality websites.

However, the book uses ASP.NET 2.0 in a scripting fashion. There are no examples of object orientation or encapsulation of coding at all. It therefore left me completely high and dry when writing an object orientated designed site.

I still occasionally refer to it though for scripting scenarios. I would advise a professional developer to buy a professional book instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best on gettting Started with ASP.NET 2.0, 16 Feb 2007
Dougydoe "dougash" (Witham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been playing with classic asp for sometime and more recently with asp.net and I must say this is by far the BEST book that have put all the pieces together and I'm very confident I can take my knowledge and skill to the next level.

Most of the books I have read so far, though very good in highlighting the arsenals available in asp.net 2.0 don't put it together in a coherent manner like the writers of this one did. The ability to explain the concepts and practicalize them in the on-going project and build on them from Chapter to Chapter really helped me to understand how most of the controls can actually be put to use.

Though my favorite language was VB, I have picked up C#(which is quite similar to javacript in terms of the syntax) just because of how thy explained the code in both languages.

Will definitely recommend this book to anyone starting out on ASP.NET and Sitepoint books in general. They are well written and highlight standards as well.

EXCELLENT product!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book you won't regret it!, 23 July 2009
Edgardo Agno (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is worth the read, the money and the time. What any beginner needs is a very good book, otherwise you will just be disheartened and frustrated if the writing style is boring, too technical or littered with erroneous code. And this is a very good book for beginners! This is the first book I have read about ASP.NET and I have no regrets whatsoever investing on this book. Although it will not make you an expert, I still feel like an expert because what it successfully accomplish is it gives you enough confidence to build from the solid foundation you have learnt. And what you will learn are the building blocks of web development using ASP.NET which includes the controls like GridView and DetailsView which you need to know in rendering your data, ADO.NET which you need to know to fetch the data from the datastore, and SQL Server Management which maintains your database. All of these components are vital in web development and everything in between from installation to the SQL script to creating your database. The author has an unassuming narrative style of writing with a highly cohesive theme, central to the title of the book, which makes you read more after every chapter you finish. The level of detail is well balanced between hardcore ie. too much detail your head hurts every page you read and what is necessary in building a functional database driven website. Hence in my opinion the writing style is exceptional. Many technical books are too technical, the level of detail become reference like, you lose interest in the material. This book is on the contrary. Also other authors assume a lot of important details such as installation and database concepts. Although mundane for example database concepts and SQL, depending on your level of experience, the writing style is never taxing. It is also worth noting the downloadable sample code simply work flawlessly for .Net 2.0 framework. The next book for me to read is the next step up: Pro ASP.NET MVC Framework. Because what this book does not talk about is the methodology in building sustainable and scalable web applications. I think I am now ready to read a more advanced book about using MVC on ASP.NET 3.5. Nice one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Book - Excellent, 28 Mar 2007
I bought this book just looking at the title and thought that it would be one of the book, which would be on my book shelf and i would never read it. But I was wrong. This is the excellent book on ASP.Net 2.0 for a complete beginner like me. This is first book which I read fully and enjoy it thoroughtly. I learnt this book in 3 weeks time. I recommed it to everyone. If someone wants to be a good ECommerce developer "quickly", all he/she needs this book together with the author other book "Beginning ECommerce with ASP.NET 2.0 from Novice to professional". In the end, I would say thanks to the author for writing such Excellent book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Build Your Own ASP.NET 3.5 Website Using C# & VB
Build Your Own ASP.NET 3.5 Website Using C# & VB by Wyatt Barnett (Paperback - 4 Oct 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01