4.0 out of 5 stars Feel-good romance - brilliant
Published on 12 Sept. 2008 by v.G

2.0 out of 5 stars Too sloppy...
Published on 6 Feb. 2008 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Too sloppy..., 6 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Caught Running (Paperback)
This is the usual "jock" falls for the "nerd" story. I'm very fond of those, maybe it's something to do with She's All That but I find the theme both charming and alluring (if done right). Now I'm a sports nut, meaning I like my football, hockey, basketball etc. Hell I can even stomach American football. But baseball is the one sport that makes me roll my eyes (Jesus it's rounders). So the fact this book was heavily surrounded by the theme of baseball, literally bored me to tears.

So the story is about two teachers, both teaching at the high school they attended as students. Jake was the "jock" and Brandon was the so-called "nerd". One good things the authors did do, was they didn't make Brandon out to be the skinny geek. Throughout the story, the authors made sure they mentioned that Brandon was just as manly as Jake (in regards to physical shape). So they got a point there.

However, the story started off very slowly and it didn't help when the story was filled with typos either. Concentration is not spelled with an "s" and for is not spelled "fir". The publisher is small, but as a business you cannot get away with obvious mistakes. As a paying customer, I do not want to see your editors sloppy mistakes. If these editors are working for free, you need to buckle up and pay someone whose job is along those lines. Run a business, like a business.

The story in itself wasn't so bad, once the characters starting merging together. Brandon and Jake together were cute, but the writing was very fan-fiction like. Both men didn't really have any arguments or anything angst worthy, but I can forgive because their relationship was something like 7 weeks (so really how much can you argue?). In the end was book was alright, the typos annoyed me, and the story was decent enough. But if I were given the chance, I'd return the book. It was still very under-par in both writing and characterisation.

However the characters of Troy (Jake's best friend) and Jonathan (assistant coach) were both very adorable. If the authors ever want to write a story about these two, I'd be more than happy to read it. As long as they structure their story more, polish up their plot and stop being cheesy. Though the authors claim that these two guys are "straight" - I don't know, but these two scream queer to me.

Since amazon has listed the publisher "unknown" the publisher is Dreamspinner Press.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel-good romance - brilliant, 12 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Caught Running (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters were adorable and well characterised and in contrast to the previous review I found that it wasn't "typical jock and nerd" - the characters were more individual and deeper than that. Jake the 'jock' has brains and Brandon the 'nerd' is athletic. Although, there were some cliches and it's true the main characters characterise themselves under those stereotypes but the plotline and characters are not that shallow. The supporting characters too had their own personalities and each added to the story; Troy and Jonathan were fun and the female teachers that were after Jake made me laugh.

The main characters coach baseball so you have to expect a bit about it but it doesn't take over the story and isn't talked about in great depth (as in lots of technical stuff) - I know nothing about baseball and still understood.

The characters did have some tense moments and there was some insecurity in the relationships - enough to add that essential bit of tension, but seeing as the relationship only just started in the book and hadn't been going that long you can't expect a lot of arguments and such.
I agree with dotz that there were typos and that is just sloppy but it did not take away my enjoyment of the plotline, just made me irritated at the publishers.

This story, to me, is very much a feel good romance and I enjoyed that it wasn't riddled with angst every other page like many gay-themed novels I have come across. All in all a brilliant read if you want something with a happy ending, hot romance and that warm feel-good feeling after reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best..., 6 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Caught Running (Paperback)
.. gay romance novels I've ever read. Not too 'mushy' but touching and down to earth. No cliché's as you would expect, just a good story. Would recommend it to anyone who's after a feel good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little read but...., 8 Nov. 2012
BevS (East Anglia, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caught Running (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely love the author's 'Cut & Run' series, and much prefer that, it's wonderful!. I have to agree with one of the other reviews in that it is a little bit sloppy in parts, and don't forget everybody, we are talking about baseball, the male version of rounders (hated that at school)! A lot of the technical jargon meant absolutely nothing to me I'm afraid. That being said, Brandon was a nice character, and Jake improved as the story went on. Considering that this story was only published a year ahead of the start of Cut & Run series, the improvement in the author's characterisations and overall plot lines was immense!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Caught Running (Kindle Edition)
... so much, when I got to the end, I went back to the beginning and started it again!
I have NO idea about US sports so that little element added an additional level of interest for me. The characters were well thought out, human and likeable. And you know what? It's a gentle story of two people getting to know each other in an imperfect world. I thought it was great :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow burn, 24 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Caught Running (Kindle Edition)
Loved the slow burn as the characters slide into new roles and learn the truth about each other. I may not know a lot aout baseball but I loved learning a bit about it and the coaches who keep the teams at this High School thriving. I like my characters with a limp and a few issues so this suits me down to the ground LOL.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Caught Running (Kindle Edition)
Well glad I bought this book. Was a little unsure of what to do reading some of the reviews but in the end thought sod it.
Glad I did. A really sweet story enjoyed it a lot Would of like to have seen a bit more drama that I thought it kept building too. But on the hole a good easy read

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps one of my favorite m/m stories, 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Caught Running (Kindle Edition)
Perhaps one of my favorite m/m stories, next to shelter, I loved it, I saved it and will probably read it again in future. Would definitely recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 13 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Caught Running (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable read, could have been longer but well written with interesting characters. I will always be happy to read anything by Abigail Roux.

Caught Running
Caught Running by Madeleine Urban (Paperback - 1 Dec. 2007)