5.0 out of 5 stars An indepth and powerful post-apocalyptic tale.
Originally started as an online fiction journal, ‘Day by Day Armageddon’ is written in a diary form from the perspective of a lone survivor in a post-apocalyptic world that is overrun by the living dead. The author, John Bourne has been writing this ongoing zombie saga in between serving as a U.S. Naval officer. His knowledge of tactical survival and...
Published on 20 Feb. 2006 by Chris Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars An average story with poor editing
Overall it's really quite an enjoyable, easy read but it feel like it hasn't been proofread. Every few pages there are errors like "to" being used instead of "too" or "pear" instead of "pair", "poll" instead of "pole". It occasionally has helpful diagrams - for example showing the layout of his street, but it was thrown in seemingly at random a dozen pages after the...
Published 18 months ago by AndrewP

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Edition, 23 Oct. 2008
Ursula K. Raphael "AstraDaemon of The Zombiep... (USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
Max Brook's two zombie books raised my standards for zombie reading, so I wasn't sure if Bourne could match my expectations...turned out to be better than anything I could have wished for in a zombie book.

I don't like discussing the plot because I don't want to ruin it for other readers, but I love the twist he alluded to in the last few entries of the "journal." I'm just disappointed he ended with such a wicked cliffhanger...if I had known the scond book wasn't out yet, I might have waited to read this...

Now I'll be wondering what has happened to the main characters - especially the little girl...(I liked that Bourne included a family trying to survive)...

there is also a new version available; Permuted Press picked up this author, and did a much better editing job.

2.0 out of 5 stars Passionate but poor, 19 Jan. 2007
M. Walshe "Spets" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
Day By Day Armageddon is not a well-written book. That said, to a lot of people that won't matter.

Casting aside the somewhat lacklustre approach to grammar - which we can all agree only gets in the way if you aren't too happy with the book to begin with (unless of course the spelling and format of a book is outstandingly bad, which this is not) - this is an interesting but shallow depiction of the authors long nights thinking through the reality of a zombie-based apocalypse. It's not particularly boring, as some reviewers have said; but then, I share the mindset of most 'hardcore' zombie fiction fans and know a little about guns and tactics myself. Anyone who got interested in this book based on its subject - I can't imagine may others bothering with this book - already has some idea how they'd react, what they would do, and how they would behave in times of long-term corpse-combat. This is part of the experience of the book - for the most part, you're merely reading how J. L. Bourne would do it.

It's like having a discussion with a friend. An interesting friend, who has genuinely thought through his plan, but then you could easily have friends like that already. In my opinion this book adds nothing to the genre - there is no character development (indeed, several characters appear to be just there to make up numbers), and the emotional impact of such a massive catastrophe is only touched upon.

The style of the book doesn't contradict this. From the very beginning, you are aware of the mindset of the author/narrator; military minded, focusing on action and details rather than philosophy or hideous emotional trauma. To be honest, it's what you'd expect, and what most zombie fans are after. It's filler, in my opinion - just another story about another guy with a who can make a headshot - but that's about as good as zombie fiction gets.

There is some photo art in the book, but this is left unexplained, undeveloped and irrelevant. A shame, as in context it could have really added to the finished product.

Overall this has the definite feel of an online journal that has been put into a book format without much thought. As a free ebook, I'd welcome it; but only buy it if you have a serious devotion to the genre. Fortunately for Bourne and his contemporaries, almost everyone involved in zombie fiction consumption is an addict, and if you're reading this, you probably are too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Aug. 2014
Excellent book great story

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good stuff, 22 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
This is an interesting and well written piece of zombie fiction, and i do not agree with anyone who thinks that it is boring, most zombie fans will enjoy this book, the characters are 'real', they are brought to life during the story, and i cannot wait for the follow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read Zombie Novel, 5 Mar. 2010
P. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Day by Day Armageddon (Paperback)
Okay J have a confession to make I am a Zombie nut. I just can't get enough of Zombie films, zombie books and zombie boardgames.

As soon as I picked this book up I could not put it down. I read it in 2 days flat. The author rights the book as a diary from the start of the zombie outbreak. The authors military service is well used to help in the writing.

I can't wait for the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 24 Nov. 2011
N. Offer (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Day By Day Armageddon (Paperback)
Easily the best Zombie book I have read for story, atmosphere, pace. It's everything I wanted in a Zombie book. Unfortunately I have not found one other author who can compare in this genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love zombie books!, 3 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Day By Day Armageddon (Paperback)
I just love zombie books so for me this was going to be a no brainer really...

What made this different was the fact that this book is written as a journal or a diary. It starts off before the zombie outbreak but the action kicks in very quickly and it carries on through the book until the very end. I liked the detailed writing as I could visualize everything pretty well, all the characters were believable and likeable. After finishing the book there were many unanswered questions such as how much, if any, of the goverment was still left after the outbreak, why did some of the zomnbies move slightly faster than others and are they going to develope and also will the group of survivors find a safe haven. I was relieved to find out that there was a sequel! Can't wait to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the kinda zombie book i've been dying to read for a long time, 22 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Day By Day Armageddon (Paperback)
Absolutely loved Day by Day Armageddon, J.L Bourne really knows his s**t when it comes to
the whole zombie outbreak. You will easily get into this title and not be able to put it
down, I'm already hungry for the sequel and hear theres a third in the works. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Zombie Book, 12 Sept. 2010
I have to say that I really, really enjoyed this novel. Plenty of zombies, plenty of action and you never knew what's coming next.

As described by other reviewers you really get a sense for how the main character has this short-term view of the world that surrounds him - when is the next meal? Where will I get my next gallon of get water from? How do I get from A to B without dying? etc etc. And the zombie-ridden world is described so well which just adds to the experience. And on top of all that there is a little bit of comedy and a lot of action - how can go wrong?

I also just finished the next novel in this series "Day by Day: Beyond Exile" and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's clear that a third novel is due to follow and I can't wait to read that also.

Nice work by J.L.Bourne - keep it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you can't put down, 9 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Day By Day Armageddon (Paperback)
Loved it. 10 out of 10 I could not put it down. You just have to keep turning the pages. Every day brings a new problem, for the survivors of a Zombie infestation.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Day by Day Armageddon (A Zombie Novel)
Day by Day Armageddon (A Zombie Novel) by J.L. Bourne (Paperback - 1 Nov. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.19