5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Times : )
Based on a really good metaphor - the book tells us how people carry around buckets, when the bucket is full people feel good, when empty, it feels sad -
Published on 3 Mar 2009 by creuynni

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as hoped
My son has been testing the boundaries recently so I had been looking for some books that sensitively tried to influence his behaviour. Whilst the idea of this book seemed great it did strike a cord and my son hasn't asked for it since. I think that it is an American book and therefore not all of the phrases make sense. I have had to adapt bits so that they do.
Published on 29 Jun 2012 by Loobylou

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Times : ), 3 Mar 2009
This review is from: Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids (Paperback)
my young son really understands it well, and can talk to him about how he's feeling- how full his bucket is!, and filling peoples buckets (i.e. making someone happy by saying doing nice stuff to/for em), and about emptying peoples buckets (i.e. making them sad by being mean etc),
in the book its also shown how filling someone else's bucket also fills your own - though i suppose it could create a more selfish wish to fill the bucket, the end result is still good- and it is so true- i've so often found that willingly doing good for other people does feel good- as does people doin good for you : )
It also shows bullies may have empty buckets - and says they try to take from other peoples buckets to fill their own, but it doesn't work- emptying someone else's bucket empties, not fills their buckets..........

And theres a really sweet bit, where it suggest different ways of filling buckets, such as letting your grandad you like spending time with him, and suggesting they fill a bucket now - to tell your mum or dad you love them, and why you love them, and watch them smile as it fills your bucket :) (it works : ) .
This means this book is also good for teaching communication of feelings, appreciations which so many of us sometimes forget to do-(and how often does this cause problems in various relationships?,) as well as encouraging focusing on and appreciating the good in life which can also result in feeling happier.
I do change one thing when reading tho, instead of saying `you need others to fill your bucket and others need you to fill theirs', I say `other people can fill your bucket, and you can fill theirs', as surely we can fill our own buckets too if we have the right mindset??.... but apart from that, the book is pretty much spot on I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars have you filled a bucket today?, 19 May 2013
I am a teaching assistant/ELSA and this book is brilliant. My children totally understood the concept of the story. It has made a difference for them to understand their actions towards others and express their own emotions. Would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Aug 2013
I love this book - is a really great way to help children think about how they are making others feel. A lovely way of thinking of how you effect others. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bucket, 29 May 2013
Mr. K. J. Grant (uk) - See all my reviews
This is a very original way of explaining things and applies to every day things very similar to a glass half empty but with a different twist that children can relate to great book and gives loads os ideas

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 May 2013
My two sons (7 and 9) "got" the message straight away. They absolutely loved the pictures and the meaning. My eldest son came home from school the day after we read it and said "someone filled my bucket today Mummy!". Lovely! I would definitely recommend this to all. A very uplifting and positive message which explains how our behaviour can impact on others and vice versa. Particularly good for children on the autistic spectrum.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is SO good!, 4 Feb 2013
working with children with additional needs I need really good stories to help them think about behaviour and social aspects of life! And this has done it!
All I have to say now is ' is this a bucket-filling situation or not?' and there are apologies etc as appropriate!
Just recommended it to a group of young teachers I was working with this evening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple ideas are the best!, 12 Jan 2013
This book is quite well known,particularly in schools. It has a bit of an American slant to it but not to it's detriment.It makes an excellent stimulus for assemblies or PSHE lessons but equally would be great for sharing as a family. Children quickly latch on to the idea but watch out for comments everytime you pick up a real bucket!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books for children & adults, 1 Nov 2011
My son (aged 46) visited a friend with young children who had this book, he insisted I buy it although i have no young children, I found it a most beautifully written book that I would buy for any children, it has a way of life I think we should all live by,filling our bucket each day by helping others and helping them to fill their buckets with love and care. Having never heard of it before I would highly recommend every parent to buy for their children and too read themselves and to not have a beautiful feeling inside after reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sickly but effective!, 9 Oct 2013
Wow - I read this and nearly filled a bucket myself and not in the way that the author intends! As an adult it does come across as extremely saccharine and 'American'.

HOWEVER, my 6 year old absolutely loves it - he'd heard it in school and begged me to buy it. It puts across in a visual and easy to understand way some pretty tricky concepts i.e if you are kind you make someone feel good and 'fill' their bucket, if you are unkind you become a 'bucket dipper' and empty the other person's bucket.

My son's class now discuss who has behaved well or poorly using the concepts from this book. I've also used this book in my own school with some children who have behaviour/social/friendship issues and it has proved to be extremely successful.

One issue I have, which has been picked up by another reviewer, is the page which says, 'You need other people to fill your bucket'. If we are trying to teach children emotional resilience and self-reliance, I think it's important that they can understand they can change their own feelings or 'fill their own bucket' too. Although this subject could probably be a whole book by itself.

As an adult this book doesn't have the 'cross generation' appeal of many others, however it clearly appeals to children greatly. In my opinion any book that encourages children to explore and understand their feelings and relationships with others is a valuable resource. I would definitely purchase again. It works equally well on a one to one basis at home as with a class or within a whole school assembly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book., 12 Jun 2014
Super book. Drawings are clear and the story is lovely. Used in a reception class and then throughout the school.

Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids