VINE VOICEon 24 August 2008
In the introductory biography which precedes Haanel's work, the publishers highlight at least one reason why you might want to read this book:

"It is Silicon Valley's secret that almost every entrepreneur who made a fortune in recent years did so by studying the words Mr Haanel penned over eighty years ago....Since this book was no longer in print until recently, copies of The Master Key System became a hot commodity in the Valley".

Now I've no way of knowing if this statement is true, but such is the power of Haanel's system that it seems eminently plausible. I would not for a moment want anyone to think that Haanel presents some kind of 'cosmic ordering'-type, 'get-rich-quick' system, and neither is it a book about Law of Attraction. It is far deeper, and more important, than that. Haanel claims that his system can revolutionise your life. I've been working with this kind of system for years, and am emphatically convinced that it works.

At the heart of Haanel's approach is an analytical thesis that was pioneered by Thomas Troward (to whom Haanel refers in this book). Essentially, this thesis is that the universe is governed by an overarching creative process.

Haanel calls this "Universal Consciousness"; Troward called it "Spirit". Neither refers to "God", because the Universal Mind that they describe is an essentially impersonal, 'subjective' force, equivalent to the subconscious rather than the conscious in the human mind. It is more akin to a highest law of nature - a law of creativity - than to a deity. It is impersonal. You do not worship it, but you align your approach with it. Haanel's term "Universal Consciousness" is probably more apt than Troward's "Spirit" because the latter might carry connotations of the occult (though that was certainly not what Troward meant).

Haanel argues that everyone's subconscious is a part of the Universal Consciousness. This gives the individual access to great creative power, in any aspect of life. Anything that manifests in your external world, Haanel argues, has been manifested first in the inner world of your mind. The trick, therefore, is to learn how to discipline your inner world - in other words, to channel your thinking - so that inner creation is positive.

His method, originally published as a part-work, is to set out twenty-four stages of study, each including a mental exercise. Each chapter contains a list of numbered, very precise propositions. This is a very effective, very focused approach.

If you are sceptical about the idea of a universal creative process - and do not believe that thought drives the material - you are not going to like The Master Key System. But if you accept a Troward/Haanel-type analysis of cause and effect, you will find The Master Key System an extremely powerful and effective tool.
88 comments157 of 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2009
I have read this book 4 times and it is the best book on personal self development I have come accross. The exercises really do work. I can truly say, this book changed my life. It set me on the path to spirituality, positivity and enlightenment.
11 comment32 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2008
The wonderful thing about The Master Key is it's concise dialogue. I have read many books in this genre and most seem rather drawn-out. Haanel's approach is to the point. 24 chapters, each of less than a dozen or so pages. Each chapter commences with a summary of what we can expect from it, with the next few pages explaining the exercise in easy to apply detail. A summary of what we have learnt ends each chapter and we are advised to read that chapter several times before moving onto the next. There isn't a superflous word in it. Hits the mark 100%. If this book was the only book in a schoolchild's desk they could go straight to the top in life!
11 comment63 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 February 2009
I first ventured into this type of reading almost a year ago when I first read 'the secret'. If you are interested in having a life full with optimism and joy then The Master Key System is for you.

It is mainly a meditation guide but it is so much more than that. In the book Charles F Hanaal goes deep into the theory of thought and control over our every day thoughts to bring about your best life.

I would highly reccommend this book for anyone wishing to gain full control of their life.
11 comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2013
After seeing the number of positive reviews, I got this for my Kindle at the cost of a few pennies.
I want to review it because some aspects of the book weren't well explained by many of the other reviewers.

Firstly, the great points of the book:
It's clear that Haanel was a master of positive thinking. Some of the topics that he covers very well include:
- Mindfulness, meditation and directed concentration
- The importance of optimism and courage
- The power of the subconscious and how to prime it with the right thoughts
- Promoting good self-worth, for example by daily rituals of self-encouragement
- Making detailed visualisation of future achievements
- Taking responsibility to improve ones life
In these matters Haanel comes across as always sensitive and inspiring, especially considering how we sometimes regard the early 20th century as being a stiff and conservative era.

What I had trouble with is Haanel's metaphysics: Although not expounding any particular religion, he attributes a kind of holy life-force to all matter. In itself this is fine - everyone is entitled to their beliefs - however he then proposes these beliefs as foundations for ones optimism and power.
A thought system like Haanel's appears to gain much of its effectiveness from faith. I don't mean religious faith here, rather faith in the world; in oneself; in ones teacher and the validity of what they say. So when the teacher comes out with things like "every atom is continually striving to manifest more life; all are intelligent..." then for the more materially minded amongst us, that feels a bit of a bridge too far. Especially when Haanel misuses scientific concepts : "The way to health is founded on the law of vibration, which is the basis of all science, and this law is brought into operation by the mind..."
But perhaps this apparent misuse is just a symptom of the book's age. Today we have specific meanings for certain terms, but back then perhaps things weren't so clear-cut.

What I wish is that someone would re-write this book, keeping all the good tools and encouragement, but replacing the metaphysical foundation with a more humanistic and existential one. Then it could engage much better with a secular audience. It still has much to teach us.
on 9 April 2013
I was seeking a slightly different course of reading when I came across this ebook.

Considering a change of financial direction what with the economic climate we are living in I came across this book.

I was drawn to learn more of this man and his methodology in business, becoming in his time one of the most successful business men in America. I was further moved to purchase it when I realized that one of my 'heroes' in business - Bill Gates followed this man's 'teachings'. To think what Bill Gates has achieved in his life time and how he is using his resources to the betterment of mankind is inspiration enough to say read this book.
on 9 November 2010
This is a wonderful book and was written by a "Warren Buffet" of his time - Charles Francis Haanel; an incredibly successful business man and author. In very clear terms he states that the majority of our thoughts must at all times be concentrated on the things we desire; it is by this persistent mental attitude that eventually what we give attention to manifests. On the subject of faith, he explains that faith is like a muscled and must be exercised into action to make it stronger; when you faith in your ability to create is as stronger as the Master's you can speak with the authority of a God and manifest results more quickly.I know this to be true by personal experience.
11 comment13 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2010
This is a study in how the mind works and how best to apply it to fullfill one's dream. For best result, one chapter should be studies each week. It could also be seen as an introdution to meditation, as each chapter suggest a different kind of meditation at the end, which strengthens the minds ability to focus on one thing. It is a book to be studies for all kinds of fulfillment, to reach a happy state of mind, for getting a better job or to go from rags to riches. It warns against certain kinds of negative thinking, which prevents one from getting exastly what it is one wants or where to be in life.

Master Key System ( 28 Part Complete Deluxe Edition)Think and Grow Rich: The Original ClassicThe Master Key to Riches
11 comment12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2010
Excellent book which really provides the insight behind how the universal laws of success actually truly work and how you can work with these laws to harness your own internal power to be who you want, do what you want and have what you want. The author blends metaphysics with science to provide a fascinating and insightful book of how the mind really works.It appears to be a forerunner to modern day NLP techniques and I'm surprised that it hasen't had the promotion that a book like 'The Secret' has. This is far better in my opinion.
on 31 August 2010
If I were stranded on an island and had the option of having only 2 books in the world with me, the 2 books would be 1.The Bible and 2.The Master Key System.

For those who have both their spirit and mind open and are willing to learn, change and evolve this book is definitely a must read for them. I think it is a great book. I am beginning to see results in my life.