5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book for the X and Butterfly Guards, 11 July 2008
This review is from: X-guard: For Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, No Gi Grappling, and Mixed Martial Arts (Paperback)
Like the other books by Victory Belt publishers, Marcelo Garcia's 'The X Guard' is fantastically detailed book covering the X guard and the butterfly guard positions. Initially I bought the book because of the Butterfly guard section, however Garcia's instructions of the X-Guard movements were so clear that when I tried them out with my training partner I was able to experience how efficient they were first hand. Now whenever I'm grappling and my opponent stands my first thought is 'Secure the X-Guard!'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight forward and useful advice that works!, 10 Mar 2009
Marcelo Garcia is one of greatest BJJ fighters in the world today. He has beaten the best of best, including some guys nearly twice his size, by utilizing the X-guard. Garcia doesn't claim to have created the x-guard but he pretty much did and he shows how to use it to full effect in this book. The book also displays some nice sweeps (which I have already started using after 1 week) from butterfly guard as well as submissions.

Overall the book is well presented and the pictures clearly show the progression of the moves through different angles. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve in BJJ but I would not advise complete novices to pin their hopes on it. It can be quite technical in some areas and basic BJJ should already be mastered to fully appreciate this book.

I would say this is one of the best books on BJJ I have read and I hope others find it as useful as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars i think its excellent, 29 Aug 2010
this books focus is butterfly and x guard defence and offence.

is an excellent book in detail and content. very clear pictures and instruction.

what i find particularly impressive is on the top of each move there is a thumb showing up or down for gi and no gi and not just a gi section and no gi section. this for me means i can practice moves that are possible for both deciplines and i really like that as i have some experience with gi but almost zero in no gi and stuggle a lot when it come to no gi sparring in class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marcelo is the man!, 18 Dec 2012
what can i say about marcelo. if your looking to learn about x-guard you are looking at the right book. very detailed techniques that will benefit anyone who plays X-guard!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it if you want to stand a chance on the mat, 28 Sep 2011
I'm a blue belt. The purple+ belts were all over me on the mat. Now I know why. Marcello explains each sweep so I now know what the experienced guys are doing and my game has improved a lot. The guard is such a hard position (for me anyway) to learn. This book has helped loads. BJJ an amazing sport and a fair bit can actually be learned from books. Keep reading this book and practice the moves with White belts, it'll prove itself on the higher grades!

X-guard: For Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, No Gi Grappling, and Mixed Martial Arts
19.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available