Published on 22 April 2010 by Miss P. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I found it challenging to follow as the story is wrapped up in the context
Published 7 months ago by A. W. Grattidge

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant - a must for everyone interested in yoga!, 22 April 2010
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
Whilst at BWY Congress in 2009 Swami Pragyamurti Saraswati recommended this book to us during one of her classes. It is the best book I have read - ever! It took me a long time to read as I am not really a reader but I had to think about the story and the meanings. But, now that I am in my 2nd year of the BWY Teacher Training it all makes so much sense - the penny has certainly dropped and it has made my understanding of why yoga does work so much easier. I really wish we were taught these things in our normal yoga classes rather than just going through a set of asanas! But then not everyone wants what I want!

I have just bought my second copy as my first copy is on permanent loan as the three people that have so far read it found it so useful and helpful. One of the ladies in the class I go to wishes she had found it 40 years ago she told me tonight. She is in her 60's and tells me that now when she is walking the dog, doing stuff in the house, shopping or whatever, things from the book come up and it is making her think about so many different things! A fellow trainee teacher reckons it has changed her life!

All I can say is that if everyone followed this story then the world would be a much happier, safer place! The story brings to life in a very simple way the very essence of what yoga is doing for us and it proves how we can all make a difference if we have the right seeds in place - for ourselves and others.

I love it! Cannot recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightened, 6 Nov. 2005
ciaran flanagan (Farnham, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
How yoga works
For those experienced with the way of yoga and those just beginning this book is a delight. Written as a novel, this story brings to life the practical applications of yoga. You are led through the process of yoga at all levels, it cannot fail to inspire, educate and entertain you.
The authors use the Yoga sutra of Patanjali as a framework to relay their commentary in a skillful way. This ancient wisdom comes to life with the breath of qualified teacher's in Geshe Micheal Roach and his spiritual partner Chistie McNally.
If you are lucky enough to have come across this book it will change you; It is the result of the most beautiful, precious, karmic seeds planted by you in your past, that ripen now.
The fruit that awaits inside this book will bring nourishment, wisdom and encouragement to you on your spiritual path.
Buy two copies and pass one on, then sit back and wait for the result to ripen.

5.0 out of 5 stars To get a brilliant you need to cut a diamond...this book helps you to do exactly that!, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
As I said, people found a diamond without realising it because it simply looks like an ordinary lump of rock but still people like it ...the same way as they do like "yoga", just not realising yet it's a real diamond they found. To get a brilliant out of it, you need to cut it...
Yes, it all makes so perfect sense...and not only for people doing yoga. Have read so many books on esoteric subjects, magic, quantum physics, mind control, self development, consciousness or sub consciousness, God, Angels and so on and on and on...simply I wanted to understand rather than accept things as "That's how it works-get over it"...and here, in this book, I really found answer to so many questions I had.
So if you really want to know HOW and WHY Yoga works, then this is the book. I f you want to know how the entire Universe works...then...this is the book... :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars I have become a better person since discovering this book, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
This book was one of many recommended by members of my Healing Therapy group and I have been blessed the day I commenced reading it. I have become a much happier and forgiving person because of it. Pain and anger that had been deep inside were finally released and I and now feeling balanced and connected.
Discovering this book has certainly changed my life for the better. I enjoyed reading "How Yoga Works" so much that I did not want it to come to and end, so I would only read a few pages at a time.
On it's completion I offered it to my son and was pleasantly surprised a few day later when he agreed with me that it is a fantastic book!!!
(Chicken soup for the spirit)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Story, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
A good story. I will read it again. It's inspiring and if your Yoga it slipping away it's a lovely delicate road back in. Lots of inspiration and reminders of why Yoga is so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 20 May 2011
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
first time I understand yoga !!!!!!!! thanks to this great book. very easy to read and follow. written in a smart and simple way. but how deep in the same time!!!!!! hugely I can recommend it !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and clear, 27 Dec. 2011
Kevin Lawlor (Carlisle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
You have probably arrived at this book because you have done a search on books related to yoga, which in turn suggests that you are already practicing yoga...

if, like me, you are a practicing yogi and have read books on the subject in order to gain a deeper understanding on the philosophy of yoga, then you may have read 'The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali'. Personally, I found that book a hard read and didn't really understand exactly what Patanjali was trying to say. 'How Yoga Works' is a truly wonderful story about how a young girl is incarcerated in prison and teaches her captors all about yoga using the teachings of Patanjali to change their lives forever. The philosophy may be deep, but the analogies and lessons are so very clear that I found myself time and again thinking, 'ahhh, that's what Patanjali meant'.

In its own right this is a wonderful Spiritual book, that even those who do not practice yoga are sure to love. I have many, many books on yoga, meditation and Spirituality and this book is one of the best!

4.0 out of 5 stars A true teaching, 20 July 2014
Ms. P. Khan "polly" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
Written as a narrative, the story is really a set of teachings on (parts of) Patanjali's Yoga sutra. On the teaching level, it works very well; the clearest outline of what yoga is about. In another time, it would have been almost impossible to find these very profound and transformative truths. There is a definite Tibetan slant to the themes, and owes more to Buddhism than Hunduism - if you're looking for a yoga sutra without any Hindu cultural references then you probably won't find better.
However, as a narrative it didn't work all that well for me - it's an ideal situation with teacher and student, where all problems are sorted out with yoga principles, so doesn't make for great fiction - but I had to realise that the book is not entertainment although it is easy to read. As a teaching it's a special book.
Not just a regurgitation of things you'll already know if you've studied yoga in any depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars The How and Why of Yoga, 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
An interesting take on Yoga, the more you read the more you understand, it all makes sense. I'm now on my second reading, one or two chapters at a time. You have to absorb it. Wish I had found this years ago

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 1 Oct. 2014
Kim (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
Inspirational book, having recently started practising yoga I wanted to understand more about the philosophy and many books I read were quite hard to get my head around but in this book many principles or yoga and the yoga sutras are explained in an easy to understand way with examples which can easily be related to. I often read extracts to my husband and he too is inspired by them and as he says 'It all makes sense'. A book that I'll definitely be reading more than once!

How Yoga Works
How Yoga Works by Geshe Michael Roach (Paperback - 30 Sept. 2005)