‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant - a must for everyone interested in yoga!, 22 April 2010
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
Whilst at BWY Congress in 2009 Swami Pragyamurti Saraswati recommended this book to us during one of her classes. It is the best book I have read - ever! It took me a long time to read as I am not really a reader but I had to think about the story and the meanings. But, now that I am in my 2nd year of the BWY Teacher Training it all makes so much sense - the penny has certainly dropped and it has made my understanding of why yoga does work so much easier. I really wish we were taught these things in our normal yoga classes rather than just going through a set of asanas! But then not everyone wants what I want!

I have just bought my second copy as my first copy is on permanent loan as the three people that have so far read it found it so useful and helpful. One of the ladies in the class I go to wishes she had found it 40 years ago she told me tonight. She is in her 60's and tells me that now when she is walking the dog, doing stuff in the house, shopping or whatever, things from the book come up and it is making her think about so many different things! A fellow trainee teacher reckons it has changed her life!

All I can say is that if everyone followed this story then the world would be a much happier, safer place! The story brings to life in a very simple way the very essence of what yoga is doing for us and it proves how we can all make a difference if we have the right seeds in place - for ourselves and others.

I love it! Cannot recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightened, 6 Nov 2005
ciaran flanagan (Farnham, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
How yoga works
For those experienced with the way of yoga and those just beginning this book is a delight. Written as a novel, this story brings to life the practical applications of yoga. You are led through the process of yoga at all levels, it cannot fail to inspire, educate and entertain you.
The authors use the Yoga sutra of Patanjali as a framework to relay their commentary in a skillful way. This ancient wisdom comes to life with the breath of qualified teacher's in Geshe Micheal Roach and his spiritual partner Chistie McNally.
If you are lucky enough to have come across this book it will change you; It is the result of the most beautiful, precious, karmic seeds planted by you in your past, that ripen now.
The fruit that awaits inside this book will bring nourishment, wisdom and encouragement to you on your spiritual path.
Buy two copies and pass one on, then sit back and wait for the result to ripen.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 20 May 2011
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
first time I understand yoga !!!!!!!! thanks to this great book. very easy to read and follow. written in a smart and simple way. but how deep in the same time!!!!!! hugely I can recommend it !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Story, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
A good story. I will read it again. It's inspiring and if your Yoga it slipping away it's a lovely delicate road back in. Lots of inspiration and reminders of why Yoga is so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and clear, 27 Dec 2011
Kevin Lawlor (Carlisle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
You have probably arrived at this book because you have done a search on books related to yoga, which in turn suggests that you are already practicing yoga...

if, like me, you are a practicing yogi and have read books on the subject in order to gain a deeper understanding on the philosophy of yoga, then you may have read 'The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali'. Personally, I found that book a hard read and didn't really understand exactly what Patanjali was trying to say. 'How Yoga Works' is a truly wonderful story about how a young girl is incarcerated in prison and teaches her captors all about yoga using the teachings of Patanjali to change their lives forever. The philosophy may be deep, but the analogies and lessons are so very clear that I found myself time and again thinking, 'ahhh, that's what Patanjali meant'.

In its own right this is a wonderful Spiritual book, that even those who do not practice yoga are sure to love. I have many, many books on yoga, meditation and Spirituality and this book is one of the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Aug 2008
Karen Pearce - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
This book makes Patanajali's yoga sutras so very accessible - a real find! Would recommend without hesitation and would be a book to read over and over again - it's hard to put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars A true teaching, 20 July 2014
Ms. P. Khan "polly" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
Written as a narrative, the story is really a set of teachings on (parts of) Patanjali's Yoga sutra. On the teaching level, it works very well; the clearest outline of what yoga is about. In another time, it would have been almost impossible to find these very profound and transformative truths. There is a definite Tibetan slant to the themes, and owes more to Buddhism than Hunduism - if you're looking for a yoga sutra without any Hindu cultural references then you probably won't find better.
However, as a narrative it didn't work all that well for me - it's an ideal situation with teacher and student, where all problems are sorted out with yoga principles, so doesn't make for great fiction - but I had to realise that the book is not entertainment although it is easy to read. As a teaching it's a special book.
Not just a regurgitation of things you'll already know if you've studied yoga in any depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding more, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
Recommended by my yoga teacher. Difficult to get into but worth the effort. A gentle and profound book.give it time

5.0 out of 5 stars How Yoga Works, 3 Feb 2010
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
This novel takes you through the philosophy of yoga in an easy to read and inspiring format, covering all elements from meditation to physical asana. I loved it. It is a 'must read'. You'll want to buy a copy for your friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gift!, 22 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: How Yoga Works (Paperback)
This book is changing my life! I know that sounds corny but I have never felt so moved to recommend a book as much as this. If I had enough cash I'd buy everyone I know a copy!
The philosophies contained in this lovely story have made me reflect upon my daily actions and have rejuvenated my desires to be a better person. Get your hands on this book if you can -- you won't regret it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How Yoga Works
How Yoga Works by Geshe Michael Roach (Paperback - 30 Sep 2005)
10.96