5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking
This book made me review my parenting style and look more closely at parenting for the long-term. It was refreshing to read a parenting book that puts the focus on the parent rather than the child - Hal's approach made a great deal of sense and has been fairly easy to implement.
Published on 4 Sep 2007 by Mrs. L. Scoresby

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i was expecting
A lot of reference to God in this book. Not what I was expecting. Would not recommend to another parent.
Published 23 months ago by frosty

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 4 Sep 2007
Mrs. L. Scoresby (uk) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Advice to Raise Responsible Children, 6 Mar 2006
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Screamfree Parenting: Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool (Screamfree Living) (Paperback)
When our youngest child went off to college, the school's president told us that many parents cannot let go. They call before, during and after every class. They help out with homework over the Internet. They want to hear about every stumble and bruise. The parents act like they are students in terms of how often they contact advisors and administrators on their children's behalf.
You can imagine what these kids are going to be like when their parents are ill or die. They'll feel like the world has ended. Is that any way to be a parent? I don't think so.
I like having children who become responsible, effective adults. I have four of them, and I'm happy with how it all turned out.
At the opposite end, you see parents going nuts because their two-year-old drops a spoon on the floor in a restaurant . . . again . . . and again . . . and again. We've all been there. We've all wanted to go nuts. But it's not good for anyone if you do.
ScreamFree Parenting gives you solid, realistic advice for how to handle those years from 2-18 so that your children end up the way you would like them to be . . . as themselves in a responsible life. . . and not as robots ordered around by you.
Hal Runkel does a good job of explaining how setting limits, letting children make mistakes and learn, and being calm make for a wonderful difference. I was reminded of the importance of calm last week when our local high school put on a one act play written by the students that described a 9 year-old girl being driven crazy by her parents' fights. Calm is good for children. They will eventually learn calmness from you . . . if you are a good role model.
So start to help your kids . . . by working on you!
I wish I had read this book when I was a new father. It would have saved lots of anxiety for everyone.
Nice going, Mr. Runkel

2.0 out of 5 stars not what i was expecting, 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: SCREAMFREE PARENTING (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Intentioned Book, But I Did Not Agree with Everything, 12 Dec 2008
The book has some good intentions and points. If you are a screamer, I think this definitely is a good book to read. The premise is that it's not your child that has a problem, so why scream at them to try to fix it. Look at yourself and your attitudes.

I disagreed with some of the boundary and limit setting examples, because it really felt as a disguised form a cruelty.

If you are not a screamer parenting, relatively calm and so forth, then you don't need this book.

Review is by Ramiel Nagel author of Healing Our Children: Because Your New Baby Matters! Sacred Wisdom for Preconception, Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting (ages 0-6) & Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition (First Edition).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read years ago, 3 Oct 2013
Excellent book and I've read a ton of parenting books. This one finally has the answers I have been looking for. 100% recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 18 Jun 2013
This book can teach you how to raise your children without losing your temper. Simple to read and has many good examples. Highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying., 9 Feb 2011
I bought this following the reviews and its rubbish. It's so annoying it doesn't actually tell you anything, no specifics, just waffles on. The whole book could be summed up in a chapter. The title explains the book, keep calm and carry on, and you don't need this book to tell you that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Parenting Style, 1 Oct 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
An insightful read, SCREAMFREE PARENTING progressed from humorous tone to a philosophical analysis on the subject of parenting, offering action plans to replace screaming voices with calming, peaceful & respectful one to raise children and grow well-rounded family members including parents themselves. As a family is born, growing up involves parents as well, Hal Runkel, the author and family therapist reminding us. There are real-life stories to read and ideas to put to good use, but most importantly, the book in its four parts on "Becoming Cool, Creating Space, Creating Place and Putting Yourself into Practice" will explain WHY we need to stay focused on screamfree parenting for our kids. This crucial understanding deepens the meaning and facilitates a calm and caring household.

Used & New from: 0.01