on 5 October 2013
This review is of the 2nd edition. I went into this one a little hesitantly as Lovecraft and I have not got along too well up to this point. I have only read a handful of his stories, here and there, as found in anthologies. This is actually the first time I've read a collection specifically of him. In the past I just really didn't "get" his stories, or really understand why he was so well-loved. I did read one recently that I loved, though. I had already discovered DC Comics homage to Lovecraft in the naming of their Asylum, Arkham Asylum, and here we find a collection of stories that all take place, if not in, then near, Arkham, Massachusetts. This is a fabulous collection of tales and just perfect for the Lovecraftian newcomer as I can attest. I loved every one of them. None of the illustrations particularly jumped out at me to be of particular note; however, they are all well done and by artists from "Graphic Classics" usual stable: Matt Howarth, Lisa K. Weber, Onsmith Jeremi, etc. and Rick Geary even puts in a short piece. A fantastic read and a great introduction to Lovecraft.
on 25 January 2009
Yet another impulse purchase I made because I felt sorry for the comic book shop owner. Stick to Cthulhu Tales. I'm being Captain Buzz killer because Shadow over Innsmouth is such a mess and the cover art is straight from a kids maths book.
on 15 February 2013
In comparison to the case of Charles Dexter Ward, at the mountains of madness etc, it is a rather poor effort, crappy art and mediocre adaptations of Lovecrafts stories. Herbert West Re-animator had the potential of being good but was let down by there being too little comic art alongside the tracts of written storyline.
It is an example of how inferior American adaptations are compared to their British counterparts
on 13 April 2008
Matt Howarth, best known for Those Annoying Post Bros comic book series, in which the mythical being Cthulhu (you can see another version of him on the cover of this book) makes a regular appearance, has turned his warped and brilliant creativity towards graphic adaptations of stories by Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft. This graphic novel, containing Howarth's take on a Lovecraft story, may be a good introduction to his wayward genius, for those who have yet to discover it.