on 4 May 2006
D Travers Scott proved his exceptional talent with his debut novel, 'Execution, Texas: 1987'. With this second novel, 'One of These Things is Not Like the Other', he has further established his position as an arresting new author who is capable of hijacking his readers with the fluidity of his writing and its tantalisingly surreal qualities.

The Amazon synopsis is comprehensive, but nothing can convey the force of this novel, other than reading it for oneself. It is unique. It is fast-paced. It is intense. An absolute - genuine - page-turner. Although a reasonably short work that can be read in a day, it is something that deserves time and attention. Personally, I was so captivated by the energy of the writing that I just flew through the final chapters, anxious to discover the 'truth' about the four brothers. Consequently, upon reaching the last page, I confess to being completely baffled. I sat, stunned, trying to make sense of the myriad of ideas that were flowing through my different levels of consciousness. It wasn't until I took a breath and read the book again - slowly - that I began to store up clues to help explain what happened. Even then, many questions still present themselves.

'One of These Things is Not Like the Other' is an absolute masterpiece of suspense and originality. It is a book that lures you into another world and leaves you gasping for oxygen. It's complexity (of concept, rather than expression) means that one read could never be sufficient. I've read it three times thus far, and am still picking up nuances. I await D Travers Scott's next work with great anticipation.

Buy this novel now (and order his excellent debut novel while you're at it). This is a phenomenal work of fiction that will penetrate your mind for days...
on 6 May 2007
I had to review this one to give a little bit of balance to the other review here.

I loved the title of this book and the cover, which hinted at dark deeds, but after a very promising start the book just dissolved into confusion. Of course, if you're setting out to write a book about 5 identical men (4 quadruplet brothers and a father) then it's going to be hard separating them out. Giving them all the same name doesn't help either. I have no idea what the book was actually about or how it ended. I never did get how the quads could be utterly identical but then find one wasn't their brother at all.

It started with some excellent gay themes, too - lonely country sheriff taking more than a liking to one of the brothers, but this too fizzled out when all the identity confusion began. Shame.

Not worth bothering with.