4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-Moving, Complex Action Plot with Weak Characters
Published on 26 July 2004 by Donald Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars Like a bad movie
Im sorry but how on earth do people rate this book so highly?

If this was a movie it would go straight to video, totally predicatable and I couldnt even be bothered to finish it.

Published on 10 Aug 2007 by T. Michaels

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-Moving, Complex Action Plot with Weak Characters, 26 July 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
A Tourist in the Yucatan is a book that was recommended to me by one of my Amazon Friends, and I am delighted that I followed up on the suggestion. This book has a much more complex plot than most thrillers that kept me wondering about the full dimensions of who did what to whom and when until 2/3s of the book was done. The plot is spiced up by many realistic tourist and archeological details of Yucatan that provided a more than typically interesting context for the story. My only disappointment was that the book didn't develop the characters beyond the minimum. In part that's because there were so many of them, but the number of characters also made the plot more interesting. Although the book shows some signs of being self-published (such as typos), I thought that the overall quality is better than most best-selling thrillers I have read from major publishers.
The opening of the story promises lots of action as a drug buy is set up on a ferry. But soon there are unexpected complications. Next, we find ourselves meeting two young American tourists, Jack and Jo Phillips, who are in Yucatan to work on their marriage. They are looking forward to meeting an old friend who is an archeologist as well as seeing many of the main Mayan sites. A chance meeting with a stranger helps them enjoy their visit more. As they move peacefully forward, their lives are about to be shattered in unimaginable ways. Will they have the courage and perseverance to prevail?
As you read the story, I'm sure you will be impressed that the book is filled with intriguing subplots. There are enough ideas in this book to fill four thriller volumes.
I'm sure you will never look at travel in a foreign country in the same way after enjoying A Tourist in the Yucatan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping beach read, 31 May 2006
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
I had never heard of this author or book until a couple of weeks ago. I was actually reading some reviews on another book on amazon and one of them said "if you enjoyed this you will love A Tourist in the Yucatan" so I decided to order the book just in time for my hols.

I'm not normally one for adventure / Indiana Jones type thrillers yet I couldnt put this book down. There is never a dull moment and I thouroughly enjoyed it; I was gripped from the first chapter. The characters were believable and the plot fast paced and there are more than a few twists and turns to keep you turning those pages well into the night.

I hope you enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like a bad movie, 10 Aug 2007
T. Michaels (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
Im sorry but how on earth do people rate this book so highly?

Please dont waste your money on this book, by all means borrow it from someone dumb enough to spend money on it but dont waste your own hard earned cash on this pile of nonsense.

1.0 out of 5 stars badly written nonsense, 28 Nov 2008
Tweedy (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
While it is difficult to admire any of the writing skills here in what is a flat and poorly delivered bit of nonsense - you have to admire the viral publicity. Lots of planted references in reviews of other books "if you loved this book by Lee Child, then you should try the brilliant Tourist in the"...type of thing).
But this is best avoided at all costs, it is very poor indeed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 27 April 2008
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
Poorly written novel subject to a clever viral campaign. The reality is a slow, badly constructed book with paper thin characterisation. Challenging to get through and best avoided.

1.0 out of 5 stars A beach read - at best., 16 Jan 2006
MrChance (Surrey, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
If you enjoyed The Da Vinci Code then this one is ok, however I found each book very irritating and couldn't finish either; both are cliched, corny and contrived. I had read an earlier review that placed this book in the same genre as the writing of Cormac McCarthy, so my expectations were high but I was sadly let down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but entertaining, 30 Aug 2007
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
A couple holidaying in Mexico's Yucatan area gets indirectly caught up in the Mexican/American drug trade and a host of nasty things happen, including the disappearance of the wife. Also in the mix we have good and bad cops/agents in both countries, as well as high-level political influences.

But we also have references to Mayan culture and archaeological finds in a seemingly rich jungle and coastline setting. I think it was this twist which kept a lot of the interest up for me. Cops and robbers stories abound but few use such a novel backdrop.

Brumfield is not a literary giant and he didn't do enough, in my view, to develop his characters. He could also have paid more attention to proof-reading. (I should also say that small-print versions with long paragraphs can be a real challenge to readers!)

Nonetheless, he did write a book with an engaging plot, in a very interesting setting, which is different from the norm and not too over the top. 9/10

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling!, 18 Nov 2006
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
This is one of the worst written books I've ever read. It makes Jeffrey Archer and Dan Brown look like Marcel Proust or Shakespeare. Avoid unless you enjoy cliched drivel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great holiday book, 4 Aug 2005
Duke (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
My comments are similar to most peoples reviews. A great read, with interesting characters, interesting description of a country and it's archaeology that i have never seen.
I really enjoyed this book and would happily recommend it it to other people. I would compare the style to that of Harlan Coben. The plot moves along quite quickly and the characters are people that you both warm to and hate, depending on which side they are on.
If you are looking for a good plot, easy read, but most of all, a book that you will find hard to put down, then this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Thriller!, 14 May 2004
This review is from: A Tourist in the Yucatan (Paperback)
This is a fun little thriller that is worth waiting for! It took two months for my copy to arrive but it was well worth the wait. Its the story of a couple of Yanks who get in trouble in the Jungles of Mexico. the young married couple befreind a mysterous stranger while traveling in the Yucatan Outback, when the wife dissapears, leaving the husband to try and find out what happende to her. The Settings of Mayan Pyramids, colonial cities, and beautiful beaches make for a great back drop. buy this book you will not be disapointed!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa5bd3ee8)

A Tourist in the Yucatan
A Tourist in the Yucatan by James McNay Brumfield (Paperback - 1 May 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01