A Tourist in the Yucatan is a book that was recommended to me by one of my Amazon Friends, and I am delighted that I followed up on the suggestion. This book has a much more complex plot than most thrillers that kept me wondering about the full dimensions of who did what to whom and when until 2/3s of the book was done. The plot is spiced up by many realistic tourist and archeological details of Yucatan that provided a more than typically interesting context for the story. My only disappointment was that the book didn't develop the characters beyond the minimum. In part that's because there were so many of them, but the number of characters also made the plot more interesting. Although the book shows some signs of being self-published (such as typos), I thought that the overall quality is better than most best-selling thrillers I have read from major publishers.
The opening of the story promises lots of action as a drug buy is set up on a ferry. But soon there are unexpected complications. Next, we find ourselves meeting two young American tourists, Jack and Jo Phillips, who are in Yucatan to work on their marriage. They are looking forward to meeting an old friend who is an archeologist as well as seeing many of the main Mayan sites. A chance meeting with a stranger helps them enjoy their visit more. As they move peacefully forward, their lives are about to be shattered in unimaginable ways. Will they have the courage and perseverance to prevail?
As you read the story, I'm sure you will be impressed that the book is filled with intriguing subplots. There are enough ideas in this book to fill four thriller volumes.
I'm sure you will never look at travel in a foreign country in the same way after enjoying A Tourist in the Yucatan.
VINE VOICEon 31 May 2006
I had never heard of this author or book until a couple of weeks ago. I was actually reading some reviews on another book on amazon and one of them said "if you enjoyed this you will love A Tourist in the Yucatan" so I decided to order the book just in time for my hols.

I'm not normally one for adventure / Indiana Jones type thrillers yet I couldnt put this book down. There is never a dull moment and I thouroughly enjoyed it; I was gripped from the first chapter. The characters were believable and the plot fast paced and there are more than a few twists and turns to keep you turning those pages well into the night.

I hope you enjoy.
on 10 August 2007
Im sorry but how on earth do people rate this book so highly?

If this was a movie it would go straight to video, totally predicatable and I couldnt even be bothered to finish it.

Please dont waste your money on this book, by all means borrow it from someone dumb enough to spend money on it but dont waste your own hard earned cash on this pile of nonsense.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2008
While it is difficult to admire any of the writing skills here in what is a flat and poorly delivered bit of nonsense - you have to admire the viral publicity. Lots of planted references in reviews of other books "if you loved this book by Lee Child, then you should try the brilliant Tourist in the"...type of thing).
But this is best avoided at all costs, it is very poor indeed.
on 30 August 2007
A couple holidaying in Mexico's Yucatan area gets indirectly caught up in the Mexican/American drug trade and a host of nasty things happen, including the disappearance of the wife. Also in the mix we have good and bad cops/agents in both countries, as well as high-level political influences.

But we also have references to Mayan culture and archaeological finds in a seemingly rich jungle and coastline setting. I think it was this twist which kept a lot of the interest up for me. Cops and robbers stories abound but few use such a novel backdrop.

Brumfield is not a literary giant and he didn't do enough, in my view, to develop his characters. He could also have paid more attention to proof-reading. (I should also say that small-print versions with long paragraphs can be a real challenge to readers!)

Nonetheless, he did write a book with an engaging plot, in a very interesting setting, which is different from the norm and not too over the top. 9/10
on 16 January 2006
If you enjoyed The Da Vinci Code then this one is ok, however I found each book very irritating and couldn't finish either; both are cliched, corny and contrived. I had read an earlier review that placed this book in the same genre as the writing of Cormac McCarthy, so my expectations were high but I was sadly let down.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Poorly written novel subject to a clever viral campaign. The reality is a slow, badly constructed book with paper thin characterisation. Challenging to get through and best avoided.
on 18 November 2006
This is one of the worst written books I've ever read. It makes Jeffrey Archer and Dan Brown look like Marcel Proust or Shakespeare. Avoid unless you enjoy cliched drivel.
on 4 August 2005
My comments are similar to most peoples reviews. A great read, with interesting characters, interesting description of a country and it's archaeology that i have never seen.
I really enjoyed this book and would happily recommend it it to other people. I would compare the style to that of Harlan Coben. The plot moves along quite quickly and the characters are people that you both warm to and hate, depending on which side they are on.
If you are looking for a good plot, easy read, but most of all, a book that you will find hard to put down, then this is the one.
on 14 May 2004
This is a fun little thriller that is worth waiting for! It took two months for my copy to arrive but it was well worth the wait. Its the story of a couple of Yanks who get in trouble in the Jungles of Mexico. the young married couple befreind a mysterous stranger while traveling in the Yucatan Outback, when the wife dissapears, leaving the husband to try and find out what happende to her. The Settings of Mayan Pyramids, colonial cities, and beautiful beaches make for a great back drop. buy this book you will not be disapointed!