5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Help to younger children
Published on 5 Jan 2006 by chobson2033

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing
Published 17 months ago by Amyb

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Help to younger children, 5 Jan 2006
This review is from: We Were Gonna Have a Baby, But We Had an Angel Instead (Paperback)
I found this book exeptionally helpful for my 2 1/2 year old daughter after her baby brother was stillborn in August it was worded in a way she would understand and the pitures also helped her understand also after the loss of the baby in this story it was nice to see a little angel on every page in different places to show that even though the baby was no longer with them it was still there watching over them.
A must have for anyone with small children who otherwise cant really understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 7 Feb 2010
Mrs. T. A. James (Cambs, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after having a miscarriage myself. My youngest daughter aged 6 was OK to begin with but then was obviously affected. The book is simple and written from the perspective of a child who was going to be a big brother. After the baby dies in the story it is depicted as an angel in every picture which my daughter liked (I hadn't even noticed when I read it through first!) The story gives children permission to feel cheated by the death - they were all excited about having a baby to play with, share with and help look after and now it has been snatched away. My own daughter had said to me that she thought I must be m ost sad as it was in my body and I tried to explain to her that it was ok for her to be sad too but I think she still felt she didn't have the right and that confused her. She took the book to school and I was amazed that the teacher shared it with the whole class! She also slept with it under her pillow for a few nights.
At the back are a couple of pages for parents with advice on helping children cope with the loss.
All in all I would thoroughly recommend this for any age child.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully moving book for younger children, 30 Oct 2006
Ms. Emma C. Soares "emma91101" (West Country, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my children aged 6,4 and 3 after the death of their baby brother eleven hours after his birth three months ago. We have read it several times (my now 5 year old especially asks for it). It is sensitively written and beautifully illustrated from the point of view of a little boy whose baby sibling dies (clearly either at or around the point of birth as you see the mummy's big tummy). It helps children to know that adults are sad and that it's o.k. for them to feel sad too and also that it's o.k. to remember the baby and have reminders of him around. The book is not religious except that, once the baby has died, each page has a little angel (a little in the Usborne 'find the duck' vein) to show that the baby is still with us but in our hearts. I would really recommend this for anyone who has lost a baby around birth and who has children up to about 6.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, 6 April 2013
Whilst the book is nice visually it is very brief. The book only says and shows what we had already said to our 3 year old. I was hoping the book would have a little more answers within it to help with the questions from a 3 year old that arrive out of left field. I guess every child is unique and there are no set answers a children's book could cover exactly. The book may be helpful in the future to encourage discussion but at the moment would not add to our 3 year old's understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful in sad times, 15 April 2011
We bought this book for our 3.5 year old daughter after the sudden unexplained death of our 3 month old son. It helped us to talk about our feelings. Lovely pictures, easy to read, little text. Our daughter asks for it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked perfectly for us., 27 April 2009
Mrs. J. L. Somers "bumwipes" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
When their little sister was stillborn at 38wks this book really helped my 3yr old and 5 yr old. No adult can read it without crying -it's very tender and beautifully illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars so helpful and sensitive., 21 Nov 2013
Bought this to help explain a stillbirth to a five year old sibling. Beautifully written at exactly the right level. Sensitive and helpful when trying to deal with such a difficult topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for work, 23 July 2013
This book is so lovely with its pictures and it makes such a heart breaking situation much clearer for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, if you don't expect too much, 3 July 2013
Lubee (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This wasn't given to me by a member of staff at my daughter's school, over a year after we lost our son at birth. I didn't expect much, but this really was a wonderful book.

It doesn't give you any answers, it doesn't try and make it better or aim to be anything other than a story book about the loss of a baby. But it is well written, beautifully illustrated and does include some advise to parents. When we read it to our daughter, it did prompt a few questions, and it did re-iterate that it's ok to be sad. It is a good starting point and so is most useful for children over age 4 I would think.

If you don't expect a magic book, this really is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and compassionate, 23 Feb 2013
It's aimed really at young children dealing with loss but has something for to adults too. Sensitively written with a touching and heart-felt( young or old) ending.

We Were Gonna Have a Baby, But We Had an Angel Instead
We Were Gonna Have a Baby, But We Had an Angel Instead by Pat Schwiebert (Paperback - 1 Jan 2003)
5.26