5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver - literally!
I tested positive for Lyme disease but was told it was rare and so I couldn't possibly have it by an infectious diseases consultant - then a second different test came back positive so I was given two weeks of antibotics. No change if anything I felt worse.

Published on 11 Oct 2012 by HH

3.0 out of 5 stars doesn't always work
I've written 5 star reviews for several of Buhner's books and rank him very high generally. Unfortunately, these recommendations don't always work.

Published 7 months ago by D&D

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver - literally!, 11 Oct 2012
This review is from: Healing Lyme: Natural Prevention and Treatment of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections (Paperback)

So how ill was I? Well over five years I got gradually worse and by 2009 I was bedridden could hardly walk more than a couple of steps - the initial diagnosis had been ME - I had so many different symptoms life really wasn't worth living. Despite being told there was nothing I could do - I persevered when I had a bit of energy I would look for information to help me.

As I read this book and one by James Schaller (a paragraph at a time as my brain was so fogged) I realised it was very likely I had Babesia as a co-infection as well as chronic Lyme disease. The symptoms just fitted so closely. After trying artemisinin unsuccessfully I found the web forums for an up to date treatment protocol for Babesia and took four months of cryptolepsis which allowed my blood cells to all be replaced without re-infection. I am now able to function a million times better than I could - I can drive for two hours - have energy to do things - and each day my stamina is increasing. So many symptoms are just resolving themselves. It has been like a miracle cure for me.

I still have to deal with the chronic lyme disease - and will be following a herbal treatment protocol again once my improvement plateaus from dealing with the Babesia. But now I have hope and a life waiting for me - which means so much - so many thanks to the author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good information, 12 Mar 2009
I have un-knowingly had Lyme's Disease for many years. Finally, about 9 years ago I had to give up work due to being diagnosed with M.E. Since then I have been tested privately to confirm I have Borrelia.

I have read much about Lyme on the web, but never bought a book. I have read this cover to cover and just ordered some Andrographis and some Samento from the Nutri Centre on the back of it to use alongside current antibiotics (which I intend to phase out and replace with the herbs in this book). I was previously being treated with Borrelia Nosodes from a Homeopath which did absolutely nothing for me, but that is not to say it won't work for someone else. Borrelia feed on sugar and I was still having small amounts of sugar when I had the treatment, plus my Immune System was at rock bottom. I then tried Samento on it's own (recommended by a Lyme's Doctor in the U.K.) which was very potent. I had to give up due to fallout.

This book has been very enlightening. I haven't yet started taking the protocol herbs, but am taking the suggested vitamins and minerals to boost my immune system - which is working. The book tells you that you need to boost your CD57 count to successfully treat. I also find out how I can counteract the problems I had with Samento by taking a simple vitamin.

Either before or after you've bought the book, do a search on the web for Buhner Protocol Forums to see how other sufferers are getting on with the suggested treatment.

I found the book very helpful and would recommend buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars doesn't always work, 18 May 2014
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Over the last few years a friend with Lyme and these coinfections (plus Babesia) got rid of them twice - once using Buhner's recommendations- but they all came back, showing they had not been completely eliminated. Eventually we discovered that true cinnamon leaf oil has powerful healing qualities: 2 drops a day for 105 days eliminates all infections, including bacteria, virus, fungus and parasite. Try it for yourself, it's both cheap and easy - but make sure to dilute it in some juice or oil, otherwise it will burn your mouth. Also, many other supplements will work against it - visit lyme-symptoms[dot]com for the full protocol.

You need to look for a products that states it is true cinnamon (zeylanicum or verum) and leaf (it's the oil from the leaves of the cinnamon bush that has the necessary eugenol as the main component) and also "steam distilled"; in my experience, the NuKira brand worked.

Cinnamon bark oil gives the true cinnamon smell and flavor, while leaf does not, it smells like cloves. So it depends on what you want the oil for - smell and flavor or healing...

Also, avoid cassia, or any bottle that does NOT say cinnamon zeylanicum or cinnamon verum AND "steam distilled". They taste and smell somewhat similar but do not work the same way. Cassia is legally allowed to be called "cinnamon" so it's easy to get the wrong kind, which I did initially.

The few alternative oils for this healing protocol are:
- Marjoram (Origanum majorana) aka sweet marjoram
- Thymus Mastichina also known as Wild Marjoram, Mastic Thyme and Marjoram Spanish
- Mandarin (Citrus reticulata) from South Africa

It must say "steam distilled" on the label, not just the website

Within an hour of taking the first drop of true cinnamon leaf oil in some juice my breathing became easier (for over a decade I had Babesia, a cousin of Malaria which eats red blood cells - these cells carry oxygen throughout the body; unfortunately, there are lab tests for only a few of the many types of babesia, so rely on a distinctive pair of symptoms: air starvation plus recurring low grade fever, usually afternoon or evening). Ugh, the juice failed to mask the taste, just as strong and as bitter as clove oil and oregano oil.

However, after a couple of months several of us (around the same time, some with Lyme and also several coinfections - by then we were all free of symptoms) doing the essential oil protocol together became intolerant of the cinnamon leaf oil - as we had with oil of oregano that we'd been using some years ago for tooth abscesses. As one of us also has a citrus intolerance, we all changed to thymus mastichina from Spain, steam distilled from the leaves and flowers, for the remainder of the 105 days.

I was then left with a dental abscess and checking back on the lyme-symptoms saw new information that this protocol does not eradicate

- parasites for which afterwards try Wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) - 1 teaspoon twice daily (but work up slowly to this amount). Caution should be used as wormwood contains thujone, a chemical that can be toxic in high doses. Also, wormwood can eliminate all bacteria in the digestive system, both good and bad, so take a good probiotic about an hour later.

- amoebas (one-celled protozoas - these are free-living amoebae that can cause rare but devastating disease) for which try Goldthread (Coptis chinensis) has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries to treat all types of infections, including bacterial, parasitic, yeast, and protozoan. It contains a substance called berberine, shown to increase bile secretion. Berberine is responsible for the broad spectrum antimicrobial properties found in goldthread. In the April 2007 edition of "Alternative Medicine Review", a review of the herb stated that its main uses included bacterial diarrhea, intestinal parasite infections, and ocular trachoma infections. It's also been used to treat Blastocystis hominis infections.

- treponemas (a spirochete type of bacteria, including those that cause abscesses in teeth/gums). Spirochetes include several species: Spirochaeta, Treponema, Borrelia, and Leptospira. Treponemas are a different species from the Lymes' spirochete bacteria which is one of the Borrelia spirochetes - all Borrelia (including Lymes) and the other spirochetes are eliminated by this protocol except the Treponema spirochete-bacteria for which you can afterwards try Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) - 1 teaspoon 3 times daily for about 50 days (but work up slowly to this amount).

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyme's, 12 April 2012
A complementary book might be Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko - green smoothies all the cellulose and raw greens to help the body help itself. Perhaps heated just a little to help the digestion?

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, full of information and help!, 23 Jan 2012
This is an excellent book. It is full of information on Borrellia and the author has done tremendous work writing this book. It gives a very comprehensive understanding about this bacteria and how it causes so many wide and varied symptoms in the human body. It is a must read for anyone who suffers with Lyme Disease and who wants to know more about how they can help themselves. My advice to anyone with Lyme Disease is to get involved in your own treatment. There are numerous ways that you can help yourself using the protocol described in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing Lyme naturally, 8 Aug 2011
Excellent book,if you want to avoid firstly antibiotics which don't seem to work well in Lyme Disease particularly if Chronic and secondly Doctors who are not Lyme literate. There seems to be practically no Lyme literate Doctors in the UK so you are up the river without a paddle if you have Lyme Disease. This book is a life-line. Lynda

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazingly useful book, 4 Aug 2010
The dedication of the book sums up why you might be looking at it: "For those people whose doctors told them it was all in their heads".

Not the sort of book you'd buy on an impulse expecting a good read (obviously), but if you have long term unexplained illness and think you might be at risk from Lyme this book is well worth the cost. It sets out clearly how the infection travels and what it does when it arrives in language the layman can understand, and describes both the orthodox and a herbal protocol for treatment.

From reading it, it has become clear that my 15+ years of apparently disconected episodes of ill health are most likely the result of a Lyme (or other spirochete) infection and as a result my new doc is at last doing something about it. Possibly the best £15 I've ever spent?

5.0 out of 5 stars an important book on Lyme disease, 23 May 2013
This is an extremely well thought out, well written, interesting and informative book re Lyme disease. A must for anyone who is dealing with it, personally or via someone they know.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had severe Lyme Borelliosis in 2005 for ten months ..., 9 Oct 2014
I had severe Lyme Borelliosis in 2005 for ten months before diagnosis. Long enough for it to be well established and put me into extreme chronic fatigue with worsening neurological symptoms. I used the core protocol in this book over a period of 18 months, and artemesinin for 1 month, followed by a lyme liver flush based on P Kanes "detox" book (specialises in neurotoxins). I started very gently with the protocol in this book. It got me completely well. Repeat: completely well. No "post lyme syndrome" (ongoing infection as far as i'm concerned). I am still completely well and have never had any relapse. I was being pressured to have antibiotics (I'm not anti them, I just didn't think my body would cope with a long period of them, plus there is a 35% relapse after a/bs) . One practitioner encouraged me not to take them, so i didn't. Basically, this book got me well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Sep 2006
S. Baker (UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best books I have read on Lyme Borreliosis. It has loads of recommendations on Herbs and supplements which can be useful for Lyme. It has tons of information and I highly recommend it.