Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 May 2010
I found this book excellent - it is set out almost as a handbook for behaviourists but at the same time very easy for the general person/pet owner to understand too. Having had food guarding issues with my own pup, I was told all sorts of things by different trainers and people on how to deal with this problem. Jean Donaldson is a very well respected expert on dogs and dog behaviour/psychology and I found her very straightforward and step-by-step approach to this issue invaluable. Definitely one to add to the collection if you have this issue with your dog or are a trainer and want to further understand guarding behaviour.
on 19 July 2015
This is a great book, and proved invaluable to me and my family when trying to understand and correct the behaviour of our shih tzu. Yes it is a very detailed book which requires significant effort to work through, but if you love your dog you will be prepared to put the time in to help your little furry friend correct his little 'issues'. Even the first few paragraphs of the first chapter give such insight, and it is all so obvious when poured out to you! We were able to recognise the behaviour of our dog immediately from the author's observations, and from there we have implemented a program of retraining based on her recommendations. We are not there yet; I only bought the book a few days ago, but early signs suggest that we will make progress if we persevere. I highly recommend this book.
on 27 March 2011
Ok, so I'm a fan of Jean Donaldson and I like her bite size guides. Her approach to resource guarding is pretty much part and parcel of classical and operant conditioning and desensitization and counter conditioning. Her intervention guides are likely to put off novice dog owners as the task ahead is made pretty daunting with the processes split into some 120 hierarchies. The author does make it clear that the interventions should initially and subsequently be under the supervision of a trained behaviourist, which is good advice. I also like the fact that she points out that there will be stumbling points along the way and gives some examples of how to overcome these.
My one criticism is that I often need to keep a dictionary beside me when reading her literature, it seems she goes out her way to include obscure words that I reckon have to be looked for in a Thesaurus!
A previous review mentioned lack of instruction in multi dog households. This is true. If the reader requires more knowledge on this, then perhaps read in conjunction with "Fight" by Jean Donaldson.
on 24 September 2013
As an average dog owner I found it hard to understand, have to read carefully and study as it includes the psychology. The techniques described are good and work, but don't expect quick fixes with dogs you do have to work at it. it's really aimed at the professional trainer
on 26 January 2014
This book is an effective guide on how to deal with resource guarding, including food, toys, locations and people. We have an English Springer Spaniel who growls (sometimes) when he's in his bed and growls 'about' his toys (but will let you take them without snapping). The book has effective step by step guidance based on rewarding good behaviour. This works particularly well if your dog is motivated by food and even better if your dog is clicker trained. Our dog isn't a typical resource guarder but I have been able to use some of the methodology described in this book to make some positive steps.
on 15 November 2010
I purchased this book as I have a dog which resource guards, but its towards another dog in the pack. This book deals with guarding against the human in the main, so is helpful if you are needing help with this problem.

There was little mention of guarding of food and dealing with the pack..

So didn't help me in any way
on 6 May 2012
This book has everything you ever wanted to know about how to deal with resource guarding in dogs. Easy to read and you don't need to be an expert to understand it.I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has a dog with this behaviour problem.
on 13 May 2012
This book gives excellent insight into Dog resource guarding and dog behaviour, however , I would not advise its use by itself, but with advice from a qualified dog behavourist. Although my dog was by no means as bad as some described in the book, he was at times a snarling monster ,after only a few days using the book , a change of diet and advice from a behavourist he is a changed animal and once more a pleasure to own. This book is certainly worth the cover price.
on 7 March 2012
This a good book for people who have a dog that is very food, toy/objects or location guarding and very aggressive with it. My dog is food focussed but he is not the worse case senario and although it is a very helpful book, "Me or the dog" by Victoria Stilwell or "The perfect puppy" by Gwen Bailey was just as helpful to me in particular.

I would recommend it to anyone who's dog has a serious problem with guarding.....
on 8 March 2016
A brilliant product by a well respected dog trainer, Explains guarding behaviours and clear guidance on how to modify it and manage it in the home setting, Aimed more at trainers etc but also great for any switched on dog owners willing to try and tackle the issue themselves, Tried and tested and made a big improvement for us, Just remember dogs that guard will never be fixed, they will always need 'top up' training.