5.0 out of 5 stars A New Way to See
Published on 29 Sept. 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars A Curate's Egg
Published on 28 April 2013 by Tony C (London)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Way to See, 29 Sept. 1998
By A Customer
This book gives each of us a whole new way of seeing life. Using Radical Forgiveness, we can begin to let go of the barriers we have all created. Using this wisdom and insight, we stop blaming others for our situations. As a result, things actually change around us. For me, this masterpiece has been transformational. I hope everyone will be able to experience this. Thank-you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A freeing, healing and transformational book, 8 Dec. 2010
Niki Collins-queen, Author "author" (Forsyth, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
God does not make mistakes! When we awaken to the Truth of a divine purpose we understand the meaning of suffering, adopt a way of living based not on fear and control but forgiveness, unconditional love and peace. Colin Tipping's "Radical Forgiveness: A Revolutionary Five-Stage Process to Heal Relationships, Let Go of Anger and Blame and Find Peace in Any Situation" can help us make this transition. He says victim consciousness is the conviction someone else has done something to us and as a result THEY are responsible for our lack of peace and happiness.
Radical Forgiveness challenges us to shift our perceptions of the world and our interpretation of what happens so we can stop being victims. "Jill's Story" in the first chapter is particularly effective in helping us understand how radical forgiveness works. We need to experience victim-hood fully to transform it. There is no short cut!
Tipping says there is not a person on the planet who has not been victimized. For most of us blame is simply a way of life. For eons we have convinced ourselves victim consciousness is fundamental to the human condition. If we want to transform our victim archetype we need to stop seeing people as victims and their perpetrators as villains and realize the people in the story are living out a divine plan. We therefore need situations to feel victimized so we can transform the energy through Radical Forgiveness.
Traditional forgiveness says something wrong has happened. Radical forgiveness takes the position that nothing wrong happened so there is nothing to forgive. We are not separated from God and the energies of fear, death, and duality are an illusion. The decisions about our mission on earth are not made on a human but soul level. No one can feel their soul's journey is over until the entire human species has completed the mission we created for ourselves. Whether we know it or not we are all on a spiritual path. As with all missions it may not look like an opportunity for healing. We created "earth school" to give us clues about what we might need to heal (forgive) within ourselves so we can come to the realization we are all one. For example the mission of the soul who came to become Adolf Hitler may have done so to transform the victim consciousness of the Jewish race and the superiority of the German Race. The soul who came in as Nelson Mandala collapsed the energy of violence when he refused to take revenge against the people who created South Africa's Apartheid. He transformed the victim archetype when he forgave their abuse and became president of the country after being imprisoned for twenty six years.
Jesus' unconditional love is a powerful demonstration of transforming the victim archetype but we ignored the lesson. We attempt to forgive while staying firmly committed to being victims. We even made Jesus the ultimate victim. True forgiveness is letting go of victim consciousness. It is affirming there is no right and wrong or good or bad when we see the spiritual big-picture from the World of Divine Truth. Radical Forgiveness is the willingness to drop judgments and develop the part of our consciousness known as the observer. To see how the abuser and the abused created the situation to learn a lesson at the soul level and how the mission is to transform the situation on behalf of all the abused people. The final step is to affirm that we are willing to experience Radical Forgiveness and tap into love by turning the remainder of the process over to Higher Power. Since we project onto others the things we like and don't like about ourselves we need to look for the good qualities in others and claim them as your own.
What is happening is the unfolding of a divine plan. Since it was called by our Higher Self for our spiritual growth in truth nothing wrong really happened.
As a long time therapist and spiritual seeker I found the information in Tipping's book and the Radical Forgiveness Worksheet freeing, healing and transformational. It shattered many of my existing ideas of reality and challenged my current world view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accepting this truth will set you free!, 31 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
Mr. Tipping has done an excellent job of presenting the Truth about ourselves, others, and God. Unfortunately those who are insecure about themselves may judge this book as a reader from Boston Mass. has done in an effort to make themselves 'better'. This is the way of Ego. In his book Mr Tipping talks about the Ego and why it causes so much of the unhappiness in our lives. The same reader from Boston Mass. judges this book to be written in poor grammer. This book is not about english grammer. This book is about a more universal grammer; Love. Truth is universal. Regardless of who first writes the Truth, it is still Truth. This book teaches that God gives us free will to attract to ourselves the situations and people best suited to grow from. We ourselves decide what our lives will be. Mr Tipping's book explains this, and presents a life style for realizing this gift, and properly benefiting from it. If you want to continue your life with the inevitable suffering which society teaches us to accept and propagate, than Radical Forgiveness is not for you. But if you want to learn how to use God's gift and bring peace to yourself and the world, Read this book. The Truth here can change your life. It can change to world. The choice is yours. God will not interfere; It is His gift He has given to you. Reading this book begins the choice to be happy. The Lord's prayer asks God to forgive us our trespasses as we forgive our trespassers. This means that as we forgive ourselves and others, we receive God's forgiveness for doing so. But do you really know how to do this? Read this book and you will know. And remember: you are not alone, We are All One. Now is the time!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Curate's Egg, 28 April 2013
I only know this through the audio CD. The first section is perhaps intended to clear the way, and gives an intellectual context for his approach that could be skipped. The main point he makes, in various ways, is very useful -- we attract negative experiences (he would query the use of the word negative, because he sees such experiences as useful) that connect with spiritual lessons we need to learn. He distinguishes spiritual from real world -- again, very useful, because it means that we can forgive because of the spiritual lesson we learn, even though in the real world we can still recognise the behaviour of someone who victimises us as appalling. We don't have to like the perpetrator, no matter what the spiritual value of the lesson! His approach partly connects with that of M Scott Peck in "The Road Less Travelled" (highly recommended -- at least, the first part -- later in the book Scott Peck also goes off on a rather idiosyncratic spiritual tangent). Scott Peck famously begins Chapter 1 with the words "Life is difficult" and argues that by extension life presents us with a series of problem solving opportunities which allow for individual spiritual growth. Finally, I don't know of any book that does quite what Topping's book does, and that earns it 4 rather than 3 stars.

However... I am deeply suspicious of the 5 star reviews here from A Customer and A Reader. Why the need for anonymity? Are they Topping's mates, or his publisher? That earns it 3 rather than 4 stars. I wish Amazon would quash anonymous reviews, because there is too much scope for abuse of the review system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended and very timely!, 14 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
As with all great books, it is not so much what is written, but where it leads you. And this book leads the reader(if they are ready)on the first steps of a wonderful journey where one can lovingly let go of what is holding us back from being who we really are.In that discovery we can find out the answers to those elusive questions,"Who am I?" "What am I here for?" Believe me this journey can be a little confronting in the beginning and if one is not ready to let go of one's garbage I can see where some people may react negatively. I was so impressed with the results in my life, I hired the author to come up to our company and do the two day workshop with all our staff. It was the best thing we could have done. The changes in over 50 people have been genuine and positively impacted our business.Personally I would recommend the workshop, the book is great but I feel the opportunity for spiritual growth is limited in reading a book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be a useful metaphor, but ultimately unsatisfying, 27 Aug. 2012
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is based on the principles in "A Course in Miracles", the basic premise of which is: the world is an illusion that we created from heaven because we wanted to experience separateness (there is no separateness in heaven). Somehow we have got lost in the illusion and are afraid to go back, so we create "forgiveness opportunities" in the form of painful relationships and life situations. The key to getting past these is to realise that everything originates in love, and that whoever we might be perceiving as hurting us is actually acting in our highest interests. Eventually, after we have gathered the lessons offered from the "forgiveness opportunities", we will wake up from the illusion and return to Heaven.

This book goes a bit further and says that we actually sign up for a certain amount of pain before we incarnate in this physical existence, and this is our "soul journey". So, the people who hurt us are just different manifestations of ourselves, who are beneficently helping us along in our soul journey. Since every act is in effect an act of kindness and intended to help us grow, there are never any wrongs perpetrated, and rather than forgive, we should thank the person or situation for the learning opportunity it provides.

Well, okay... I try to keep an open mind, because sometimes even in the most unlikely ideas, you can find something useful. So I applied their theory and tried to see the learning/growth opportunity in a given situation. I think it's a useful tool actually - when things upset you, the upset is often rooted in unhelpful beliefs, and viewing a problem in this way can help you to identify them.

Still, I'm not really that taken with the concept overall (I know, followers of ACIM will say that it's just my ego trying to exert its control, but that seems a weak argument for so many reasons that it would double the length of this review were I to go through them all). The main problem I have with it is this: we are told that we must relive painful situations over and over again, and that this gives us the opportunity to learn that the beliefs associated with them are not true. For example, if you believe that all men are unfaithful and that no one will ever love you enough to be faithful, then you will attract an unfaithful partner so that this belief is played out to you again and again, apparently to give you the opportunity to realise that it is not true.

This, frankly, seems a really stupid way of learning / teaching to me. I learn best when people explain things clearly and unambiguously, and then carry out actions which demonstrate the truth of the principle. So, in the example above, the best way to learn that men can be faithful and love you for a lifetime would seem to me to be to find love with a man who is faithful and loves you all his life, and reassures you in your fears when they crop up. (this kind of thinking the books dismisses as world-based rather than spiritually based, and so therefore irrelevant).

The other thing I'm not keen on is the frequent reference to quantum physics. I have no problem with people demostrating that science and spirituality need not contradict one another, or even arguing that a particular output from science is incorrect - but here he is using science to validate his conclusions, and he frequently gets the science wrong. For example, he says things like "quantum physicists have actually proven that emotions condense as energy particles...". Quantum physicists (by which i mean the ones who publish in peer-reviewed journals) have never shown anything like that - quantum physicists have shown some really wacky common-sense defying things, but stuff like this is not part of the (already very wacky) mainstream, and it's a bit annoying when non-scientists repeatedly claim that it is (aha! Obviously a "forgiveness opportunity" for me! ;) ).

So, I think this one is like the parson's egg, and perhaps worth reading for the good parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book that you will either love or not understand, 16 Aug. 2011
Viv (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radical Forgiveness: Making Room for the Miracle (Paperback)
I found this book amazing and it has helped me on the way to completing a journey that other incidents in my life had already started.

However, it is a book that you have to read "at the right time". The author himself says, part way through the book, that if you have started reading it at the wrong time for you, you will have already thrown it against the nearest wall and stopped reading. If I had read this book 6 months ago, I almost certainly would have done just that and would be writing a very different review on it - a negative one. If you feel like this, I would recommend that rather than throwing the book away, you just put it back on the bookshelf and come back to it later on. In fact, I did not deliberately go out and buy this book. I am watering a friends garden for them while they are away and they left me a note saying that I could borrow any of their books that I was interested in reading - this was the one I found and chose - probably because it was the right time for me to read it.

I would not comment on how well written the book is - that actually doesn't matter. It is the key messages in it that are important. If you are ready to understand them, it will help you see what is happening in your life in a totally new and much more constructive, positive way. It helps you to recognise that you yourself may be perpetuating what seems like a never ending cycle of "bad things happening to you" and others around you. I would also like to say that I am not religious or a follower of any "New Age" philosophies. But, I don't think you need to be, to read this book and learn some great lessons from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and effective, 5 Sept. 2010
I have been working through the radical forgiveness worksheets and found they have helped me switch off that critical voice in my head, confront my emotions and move out of that victim/ blame mentality. This book could be summed up in three words: be the change. It is highly practical and helps us answer the question: "Do you want to be right or happy?".
Thank you, Colin.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very practical self-help book, 21 Jan. 2014
I can't praise this book enough. I've used the worksheet many times, always unwillingly at first, and I'm constantly amazed how it clears my mind, rids me of those nagging and unnecessary thoughts and teaches me something about myself. It's like taking a pill and hey presto! your ailment is gone. Compared to some other self-help books, which only make you think "Well, yeah, that's right", this one gives you an actual tool and makes you transform yourself without going into lengthy and complicated psychological processes.

A word of advice though - it's quite important to genuinly feel your emotions. A friend of mine once tried doing it at her desk at work - that's not the way to go about it! You need total privacy, preferably an empty house for it to work. And also, it's quite good to know that although the title is "Radical Forgiveness", this book doesn't show you how to deal with other people at all - it's all about sorting out your very own issues. Doing the worksheet is like having a mental shower when before you felt like you'd been rolling in mud. Also, once you're done with a particular issue, it's gone. You don't really need to re-run the same topic more than once, unless it's something quite serious, so in time you'll use the worksheet less and less, as it really clears your path very effectively.

I'm very greatful to the author - you've done an amazing job, Colin, I can't thank you enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Course In Miracles in practice!, 28 Jun. 1998
By A Customer
Tipping redefines 'forgiveness' into the definition needed for healing. The only thing better than the book is his 3-day workshop!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Radical Forgiveness: Making Room for the Miracle
Radical Forgiveness: Making Room for the Miracle by Colin C. Tipping (Paperback - 1 Dec. 2002)
Used & New from: £0.11