Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 December 2013
After re reading the Demon Trapper series I was pleased to find this novella had just been released. It allowed me to stay in Riley's world a little longer. Fans of the series won't be disappointed. You're drawn straight back into the story and emotions, as ever, will run high. Enjoy!
Riley and Beck have been apart for months while Beck is in Scotland studying to become a Grand Master but they're finally about to see each other again now that Riley is travelling to join him to celebrate her eighteenth birthday. Unfortunately their reunion doesn't go smoothly thanks to a shocking betrayal by one of the other demon trappers.

I absolutely loved this series so I was excited to get the chance to spend more time with Riley and Beck. It was also nice to see the couple outside of their usual hunting ground in Atlanta spending time together in Scotland. I'll admit that I didn't like seeing their relationship on rocky ground though, they've been through so much together that I had hoped they would be stronger than that. Thankfully they soon work through their differences and band together to stop their enemies though.

Grave Matters is a fairly short novella but I enjoyed every minute of it and my main complaint was just that I wanted more. The book also includes four illustrations by Mark Helwig of some of the different demons we've encountered throughout the series and two other demon trappers short stories written by Jana Oliver. You may have already read Retro Demonology which is a story about Riley's first solo attempt at trapping a demon and is already available as a free ebook but it's nice to now have this story available in print for the first time. The other story is called Personal Demons and it's another prequel to the series this time from Beck's point of view when he's hunting with Riley's father. Both of these short stories give us glimpses into younger versions of the characters we know and love from the series and were a great addition to the book.

This book isn't a good starting point for people who are new to the series but I'm sure Demon Trappers fans will love Grave Matters as much as I did. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that Jana Oliver decides to revisit these characters again in the future but in the meantime I feel a series reread coming on.
on 7 January 2014
Riley goes to Scotland for her 18th birthday to meet up with Beck mid-training. As soon as she gets off the plane, she's in danger and then when she meets up with Beck - she's paranoid. They figure out what's wrong and aim to fix it - along with their relationship.

I was so upset when this series ended - especially as it came as a bit of a surprise to me, I never knew it was the last book until I was reading it! I love Riley and I love Beck. I love the world that Jana Oliver has built here and vaguely post-apocalyptic view on the world. So I was excited to get another wee (too wee) look at the world.

Also love that this is set in my homeland! Don't ask me why but I love reading a story with street names and places that I can actually picture, everything set elsewhere is a total blindside for me. Although as much as I love these books, this series and this author - I always hate reading Scottish characters written by non-Scots authors. The words don't read right for me, all the "ya" and "ta", I can't say that in my head - it sounds wrong. Of course, that may just be me - I am unaware of how other Scots feel on this manner but I feel this way about most Scottish characters I read. Our language is hard to write, especially if you don't speak it - considering the main differences in our language are all to do with pronunciation, it is hard to make it come across purely in the written word.

If you've read the other books in the series, read this. If you haven't read the rest of the books in the series they go Forsaken, Forbidden, Forgiven & Foretold - go buy them and you're welcome in advance.
on 17 February 2014
I really enjoyed this novella set after the last book in the series. It seems that Beck and Riley still don't get much peace in this story as Riley is kidnapped and a twisted necromancer tries to control and use her! It all worked out in the end although she and Beck had a couple of issues to contend with due to the fact his training and new role as a grand master mean he now has to keep some secrets from her which Riley doesn't like and to be honest Beck doesn't really like either! They are strong together though so I think they'll make it work!
on 26 July 2015
I have throughly enjoyed the entire series. This is a lovely way to tie up a few loose ends. Although there is still more that i feel requires an answer. Hopefully that means more books?
Much like the other series this book is beautifully written and well edited, making for an enjoyable read. Its witty and energetic and often dark in places. Each character has a well honed personality and back story. You fall in love with them. The research thats gone into make the trans continetal scenery realistic is impressive, although i pick fault with the discription of irn bru. Wrong flavour choice in my opinion! Its worth a read and in my opinion out does a large portion of teen literature on the market. This is one that i was more then happy to recommemd to my friends and family. I look forward to readong more under this author.
on 26 November 2014
As a person who lives just outsider Edinburgh, I have to say Jana got the city down to a tee (minus the demons). I knew all the places that were spoken of, anyway review Beck is in Scotland doing his Grand Masters thing Riley is visiting him in a hope he will propose to her on her birthday, but not everything goes to plan and someone kidnaps Riley. But after things between Riley an Beck aren't the same throw in necromancers and a few demons oh and Beck in a kilt . Loved this book but was left wanting more like did Riley and Beck get married? Does Riley become a master? Hope there is more on Riley and Beck in the future
on 9 April 2014
I loved the demon trapper books so to continue the story in this novella was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed it as I have all of the other Jana Oliver books
on 23 April 2014
If you have read the other demon trappers book this is a must! Absolutely loved it!

Received this item quickly with no problems. :-)
on 1 April 2016
It is no secret that I love this series. And to find out it didn't stop at book four, I was beyond thrilled. It was short, yes, but it presented some answers that I never thought I would get answered. Jana Oliver is a great storyteller, and being in the company of Beck and Riley again made my day. To fully appreciate this novella, you have to read the previous books (4) in the series but they are worth it.
on 2 August 2014
I loved this novella and hope we get more from stories from Beck and Riley! At parts I got very worried for the two of them but it all worked out brilliantly in the end leaving me a very happy reader! ;-) Really hope we get more from them in the future! I will say to anyone picking it up to read the Demon Trappers series first if you haven't already as it does give major spoilers for the series!