5.0 out of 5 stars It gave my life back
After years of suffering from UC and doctors cramming powerful drugs down my gullet this simple diet has given me my life back. I was told by Dr Lemming and friends that UC has nothing to do with diet. So they and some drugs co. just got richer. Symptoms are 90% gone in 6 months with very little medication with the SCD. Some people are going to go for early...
Published on 5 July 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars It won't work for everyone
The message of the book is an important one, and whilst I recommend anyone with these diseases to read it, I also caution them that it may not work for everyone.

There is a positive side, I do have a little more energy.
Published on 13 April 2003 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete cure, 30 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet (Paperback)
Have suffered with what is variously diagnosed as irritable bowel, colitis etc. All I know is that none of the consultant physicians I consulted even bothered to mention what I was eating! they were all very hapy to fill me full of steriods and other dangerous drugs though. I saw immediate improvements in my symptoms within one week, and have now been symptom free and off all medication for many months. I'm sure the medics will just say I'm in remission. Or maybe I've removed the causes of the damage to my intestines and miracle of miracles they just got better. It is a difficult diet to follow but it sure is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, it works, it works!, 12 Mar. 2012
Take a look at folk that have been advised to go on pils for life by their doctors and ask yourself if they look healthy? I decided that I would skip all doctor-recommended UC pills but the disease did not clear up and then I decided that I would trawl the internet for a cure for the disease. A heavily tattoed biker guy on youtube with no connections to any corporations recommended this book and said that he had been given the all-clear and that he was now free of UC. I bought the book from Amazon and I gradually gave up the illegal foods over a period of two months: it'll take you that long to get to grips with all of the recipes, source your ingredients and generally put the plan into action. You'll have to make SCD-legal muffins etc in advance for the week to snack on! By the time I gave up the last illegal food it was only 48 hours before i had the first non-bloody, non-mucousy "No.2" I had had in over 2.5 years. I was soooooo bloated from all the wind I had from UC (I thought that this was fat) the other pleasant side effect of the SCD diet was that I had to tighten my belt my three notches when the bloating completely disappeared almost overnight and now none of the pants that fitted me then fit me anymore: I've dropped 2" off of my waist without losing a pound within the first month. Lookin' trim as I was when I was a teenager, no wind, regular bowel movements which now only occur once a day. I feel like a million dollars. The feeling of being well is just as profound as the feeling of being well again after recovering from the flu or a bad cold: you really really appreciate it. The book mentions supporting websites and these fill in any advice gaps not covered by the book - such as what booze (if any) was legal etc.

Thankyou Elaine Gottschall where ever you are.

3.0 out of 5 stars It won't work for everyone, 13 April 2003

There is a positive side, I do have a little more energy.
After I read the book, I was left scratching my head wondering what on earth to have for lunch and dinner as the recipes are pretty dire (apart from the cakes). I decided to see a nutritionist who taught me a lot more than the book did. For example, food intolerances usually go with time after the food item has been removed for long enough and, sugar plays a fundamental role in affecting energy levels and emotions.
The tone of 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' is very matronly, it feels as though it's directed more at parents of sufferers than the sufferers themselves. The nature of addictions should be covered in the book, after all, a lot of us are addicted to high-starchy and sugary foods without knowing it. The fact that you go 'cold turkey' can have profound effects on your mental state, just like cutting loose from any addiction. I was almost psychotic in the first week!!
I would agree that cutting out the refined sugars and grains is a good idea, although with me, it seems to be taking an aeon to have any effect. I'm going to have food intolerance testing carried out, as the book also fails to suggest that Candidiasis is implicated in conditions such as UC, in which case, whilst the SCD says honey is ok, Candida sufferers have to avoid it. Rice is ok for Candida, whereas rice is a no-no on the SCD. You may have been diagnosed with UC, but you may be suffering from Candidiasis.
Confused? I know I am.... It's a mine-field....
The book that I derived more from is 'Cooking Without' (also 'Vegetarian Cooking Without') by Barbara Cousins. There's an excellent introduction which fills the gaps that 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' leaves. It's written in a much more caring and sympathetic way, and whilst many of the recipes aren't suitable for the SCD, the ones that are, are most definitely much more appestising!!
So to sum up: This book fails on emotional content, energy levels and blood sugar, decent recipe ideas, a sympathetic tone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good information but limited, 15 Aug. 2013
Much of the information in this book - which is very helpful - can be found online on the website (and various others). I actually bought it for the recipes as I was having a hard time figuring out what to eat for the early phases of the diet but unfortunately most seemed aimed at children and many frankly were not what I would call "recipes". I am unable to get quite a few of the ingredients locally either (I am in Asia). I am not knocking the book per se - it is clear Elaine put a lot of time and effort into it - it has much useful information in it and it is the forerunner and foundation of guides to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet - however it just didn't fulfil the function I purchased it for. I think there are probably better resources out there. I wish more were devoted to the early stages of the diet which is more limited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a miracle cure, seriously., 2 Oct. 2013
After seeing my boyfriend in so much pain waking up in the night and stuffing painkillers & steroids in his mouth like it was going out of fashion I searched the internet for natural treatments for Crohns Disease. Let me please state that he is under private healthcare and they had NEVER suggested a change to his diet, or that it could even be remotely related in the 14 years he has been suffering. (It got so bad at one point he almost died due to a split bowel.)
After coming across the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and reading so many people on various forums say it worked I bought this book for him.

It is difficult changing eating habits, and so I decided to do the diet with him.. (stick with it its WORTH IT).

Literally within days, no more flare-ups. That is it. Months later no more flare-ups. Within 2 weeks he was off all pain medication.

I cannot recommend this book and the diet enough to anyone suffering from any form of intestinal problems like Crohns disease. It is amazing.

So amazing that soon after, with his new lease of life, my boyfriend left me! haha

Hope it works for you! I've just recommended it to another friend :)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a relief!, 2 Dec. 2003
Goddaert Michael (Schoten, Antwerp Belgium) - See all my reviews
Just to confirm the other reviews. This book really breaks the vicious circle of feeling bad!
After 7 years of intestinal troubles, surgery, multiple diets and medication I finally found the answer thanks to this book!
Now I realise how I made myself ill and how to put myself back in control.
After a few days following the diet I noticed improvements. The hardest thing is to stick to the diet; the slightest misstep is punished. So to all Gotschalk dieters; Good Luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for Anyone with Crohns, Colitis, & IBD, 15 Jun. 2006
This popular book, written by a biochemist and cell biologist, got its start when Gottschall's daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at a young age. She developed the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet," a strict grain-free, lactose-free, and sucrose-free regimen, as an alternative to medication and surgery. The diet is intended to starve anaerobic bacteria in the intestinal tract, similar to the use of antibiotics for Crohn's. No clinical trials have been conducted on its effectiveness for IBD as far as I know, but if you are looking for alternative approaches you might try this dietary approach. Visit the IBD Book Store for other reviews on books related to Crohn's Disease, ulcerative colitis, and IBS. As for other books for proper nutrition and healthy lifestyle I strongly recommend Can We Live 150

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life Saver!, 24 Aug. 1998
By A Customer
What can I say! After eighteen months on this fantastic diet the misery of crohn's seems like a long lost nightmare. Not only did the pain dissipate so quickly, but my overall health has improved no end. This is not a diet for sceptics or the faint hearted (indeed there are some sacrifices to make) but the payoff is a new life. When this diet works for you you'll never look back.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a life saver, 31 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This book blows a hole right through modern eating habits. You don't have to have Crohn's Disease or any other intestinal problems to benefit from the wisdom that Elaine Gottschall imparts. It is the only book I have read that explains clearly and simply exactly what happens when we eat, and try to digest, the sugars and starches that dominate our diets. Simply by cutting out specific carbohydrates anyone can achieve improved health. It's a must for every doctor and medical student not to mention every household! Definitely 5 stars, if not 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book needs advertising to the world., 25 April 2014
I bought this book in despair of my intestinal problems, neurological disruption and heavy intake of medication which was not working. I could not eat or sleep and was wondering how much longer I could endure this. I would call this a new way of eating rather than I diet but believe me the boost of will power you will get from how good your body feels will push you through any doubts and keep you firmly on the rails. Elaine Gottschall has been my saviour and I only wish this wonderful lady could see how many lives she has transformed. My pill consumption dropped within 1 month, my sleepless nights and palpitations diminished also, I lost 2 1/2 stone and my high blood pressure 190/101 (kept normal with ramipril and atenonol) also returned to normal. At this point I would like to mention that I was a healthy 37 year old male 5'8" and 12 1/2 stone. Now weigh a bit less and have my life back. I have since led friends to this book and they too are getting better. I can not recommend this book enough, if you or your family have any form of IBS, then you have to try this out, this will change your life. God bless Elaine Gottschall.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet by Elaine Gloria Gottschall (Paperback - Aug. 1994)