5.0 out of 5 stars also for kids with autism
Published on 28 Jan 2003 by Marjan Hammink

3.0 out of 5 stars It won't work for everyone
The message of the book is an important one, and whilst I recommend anyone with these diseases to read it, I also caution them that it may not work for everyone.

There is a positive side, I do have a little more energy.
Published on 13 April 2003 by E. J. Bousseksou

5.0 out of 5 stars also for kids with autism, 28 Jan 2003
Marjan Hammink (Westerhaar Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet (Paperback)
My son (6 yrs) has autism. He has been on a gluten & casein free diet for two years. We saw huge improvements. We also saw yeast, parasites and other critters coming back however..., a common phenomenon in the autism world. After implementing this diet (not an easy one), my son's BM's improved immedeately, he has beter eye contact, he suddenly started asking wh-questions (a milestone if I may say so), and last but certainly not least, he has finally gained weight!
So this diet is not only for adults with digestive problems. Nearly 40% of children with autism suffer from intestinal problems (inflammation, diarrea, constipation, parasites, yeast overgrowth, etc).
Before the Nystatin, Diflucan or antibiotics, please consider this miraculous diet. I am from The Netherlands, usually people who do not 'rave' about something. This is different stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gave my life back, 5 July 2000
By A Customer
After years of suffering from UC and doctors cramming powerful drugs down my gullet this simple diet has given me my life back. I was told by Dr Lemming and friends that UC has nothing to do with diet. So they and some drugs co. just got richer. Symptoms are 90% gone in 6 months with very little medication with the SCD. Some people are going to go for early retirement,....... Doc!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't give up, help is at hand, 16 Nov 2011
This is a well-written book on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, a milder version of the low starch diet. Do not buy the book if you are not willing to commit to this diet, as it offers no simple solutions. Very limited intake of starch, disaccharides and polysaccharides are banned, so are soya and dairy products, chocolate, processed foods...It is no simple task to implement such a diet in western societies, so many changes are needed, be ready to invest in flasks/tupperwares: planning is key to succeeding. The diet is backed up by research, and accessible to most readers, however a little knowledge in medecine is preferable. Having said that, if like me your digestive tract has always been problematic, then you too would have done extensive research on the digestive system, so the language should not be a problem. I have yet to abide 100% by the diet, but I am working towards that goal. A food diary is helpful. I do not regret purchasing this book, it comes with tasty recipes too, a bonus - for all that, I am grateful for Elaine Gotschall's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars FIRST CLASS BOOK for bowel complaints., 28 April 2010
Mrs. S. Thornton-roe (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me by a Nutritional Lecturer who himself was diagnosed with a bowel complaint 13 yrs ago and has cured himself through diet. I was diagnosed in May '09 with Ulcerative Colitis, nothing settled it, even the Asacol wasn't helping much. I had a horrendous flare up in December '09 and after 12 wks off work and most of that on steroids I found out about this gentleman and this book......it is fantastic. All my symptoms died down within 2 wks, my stomach is no longer tender and all the other unpleasant symptoms of bowel problems have completely subsided. There are recipes in the back which are really tasty.

I HONESTLY CAN'T RECOMMEND THIS BOOK ENOUGH, IT'S EXCELLENT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book changed my life!, 28 May 1999
By A Customer
I have Celiac Disease and FMS and this book is the ONLY thing that has given me control over my health. I was on steroids and 8 other prescriptions for various symtoms related to the CD and FMS. This diet eliminated my digestive symtoms and reduced my pain levels by 85%. I am now off of most medication and am living a much more normal life with a lot less pain.
I would highly recommend this book for anyone who has GI problems. In my humble opinion, any doctor (especially a GI doctor) who tells you that diet isn't a major factor in GI disorders is on the verge of mal practice! I finally found a doctor who recommended this book and with his help I have regained my health. For those of you who suffer from Fibromyalgia -- this diet reduced my pain levels and other allergic tendencies more than any medication or the other MANY, MANY things I tried.
This is not the easiest diet to follow but it is worth what you gain and is maybe the only way people with major GI abnormalities can live a normal life. Before you try surgery -- try this diet!
I wish you good luck and good health!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver, 15 Feb 2009
A. Bamford (Wales) - See all my reviews
I bought this book nearly a year ago having found references to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and its success in helping many different health issues, not just digestive (most health issues are, without us realising, very much linked to our digestion and its ability - or inability - to work properly), and it has proved to be worth its weight in gold.

Although some may feel that the diet is very restricted, I would suggest that is only in terms of ones' imagination as there is a wealth of food still available to a disciplined diet follower and hundreds of extremely tasty and nourishing recipes available from this book, other SCD books and online.

My health has, and still is improving vastly compared to where I was a year ago. From years of dragging myself around through constant fatigue my energy has been gradually increasing, the unrelentless and totally uncontrollable restless legs are a distant memory as is the Irritable Bowel that I now realise was causing it, my sleep is sounder and more refreshing, I have been able to throw my blood pressure tablets away, I have waved goodbye to Candida issues, no longer suffer with peripheral neuropathy and they are just a few of well over 20 different problems that have either radically improved or gone completely as a result of this diet. I may not yet be well, but I am a lot better.

Ok, so maybe it is pretty basic and was not written by a professional author but Elaine Gottschall was more interested in getting the information 'out there' than how well it was presented.

Was this little book worth the investment? Need you ask?

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for Anyone with Crohns, Colitis, & IBD, 7 Mar 1997
By A Customer
Breaking the Vicious Cycle is a must read for anyone with Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative
Colitis, Diverticulitis, Celiac Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, and Chronic Diarrhea. Even if you do not
follow her plan, it is simply a book which is finally getting the recognition it deserves. Elaine
Gottschall's daughter had Crohn's Disease at a young age. She is now fine. The diet is one which
has no di or polysaccharides. Though this diet is tough, it seems to be right on the mark. The
concept is to starve anaerobic bacteria residing in the intestinal tract. It is quite interesting that
antibiotics are now being used more prevalently and effectively in the treatment of Crohn's,
Stomach Ulcers, and other digestive problems. Her approach is simply a healthier, cleaner one
which focuses solely on diet.

3.0 out of 5 stars It won't work for everyone, 13 April 2003

There is a positive side, I do have a little more energy.
After I read the book, I was left scratching my head wondering what on earth to have for lunch and dinner as the recipes are pretty dire (apart from the cakes). I decided to see a nutritionist who taught me a lot more than the book did. For example, food intolerances usually go with time after the food item has been removed for long enough and, sugar plays a fundamental role in affecting energy levels and emotions.
The tone of 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' is very matronly, it feels as though it's directed more at parents of sufferers than the sufferers themselves. The nature of addictions should be covered in the book, after all, a lot of us are addicted to high-starchy and sugary foods without knowing it. The fact that you go 'cold turkey' can have profound effects on your mental state, just like cutting loose from any addiction. I was almost psychotic in the first week!!
I would agree that cutting out the refined sugars and grains is a good idea, although with me, it seems to be taking an aeon to have any effect. I'm going to have food intolerance testing carried out, as the book also fails to suggest that Candidiasis is implicated in conditions such as UC, in which case, whilst the SCD says honey is ok, Candida sufferers have to avoid it. Rice is ok for Candida, whereas rice is a no-no on the SCD. You may have been diagnosed with UC, but you may be suffering from Candidiasis.
Confused? I know I am.... It's a mine-field....
The book that I derived more from is 'Cooking Without' (also 'Vegetarian Cooking Without') by Barbara Cousins. There's an excellent introduction which fills the gaps that 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' leaves. It's written in a much more caring and sympathetic way, and whilst many of the recipes aren't suitable for the SCD, the ones that are, are most definitely much more appestising!!
So to sum up: This book fails on emotional content, energy levels and blood sugar, decent recipe ideas, a sympathetic tone.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can regain your health, 25 May 1999
By A Customer
I've suffered from UC for many years. I've been on high doses of Pred (80mg) and my disease kept getting worse. I was faced with going on Cyclosporaine or having surgery. I decided to try this died as a last ditch effort even though my doctor swore that UC has nothing to do with diet. Well, he was wrong. My results were immediate. I've been on the diet for 7 weeks now. I stopped bleeding on the 4th day. I usually go to the bathroom once or twice a day. I'm not 100% yet but I'm getting there. I feel so health on this diet. I implore anyone with UC/CD to try this diet. The diet may not always be easy but it beats UC. When my symptoms are totally gone, I will stay on the diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars praise of a modest author, 11 April 1999
By A Customer
I know Elaine Gottschall personally; although I do not suffer from any digestive disorder, I know that her diet has had success among people I know. I suggested that she contribute to this site as the author, but she'd rather let her audience speak.
Not knowing a great deal about digestive disorders, I just wanted to write to say what I know about Elaine: she is one of the most devoted, sincere and compassionate people I have run across in my travels, and I can say nothing but good things about her.
That's it!

Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet by Elaine Gloria Gottschall (Paperback - Aug 1994)