Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 22 May 2001
This book is an absolute must for anybody who is confused by the plethora of diametrically opposed nutritional 'advice' that permeates our health-conscious society. Although it describes itself as a 'cookbook' there is actually a tremendous amount of material that points out how far removed we actually are from sound nutrition, in spite of what various 'Diet Dictocrats' would have us believe. Among the many pearls of wisdom that the author points out is the fact that animal fat - yes, that substance that we have been taught to revile - is actually necessary for good health, and that this fat has been sought after for centuries by primitive peoples free of degenerative diseases. Every one of her claims, many of which contradict 'conventional' nutrition dogma, is backed up by reputable scientific evidence, and the fallacies of conventional dogma are exposed for the lay reader.
The recipes are pretty fantastic, as well, although be warned! This is a book for those who are serious about improving their health. Good, health building food does not keep for 3 years in a cardboard box on the supermarket shelf, it can't be microwaved in 5 minutes, and it can't be replaced by a synthetic compound in a pill.....
This book will serve me as a lifetime companion. For anybody interested in sound nutrition, but confused by current information will find this book a most worthy addition to their library. Hopefully, the issues set forth in this book will encourage a grass-roots demand for real food.
To personalise your diet even more, I highly recommend 'The Metabolic Typing Diet' by William L. Wolcott and Trish Fahey. This book goes into more detail on customising your diet to meet your personal metabolic needs, whilst adhering to the principles of whole foods and sound preparation methods.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 1998
If my grandmother had written a cookbook, it would have been a lot like this. This book is about eating the kinds of real food that has nourished folks all over the world for centuries, combined with wonderful excerpts from a variety of doctors, nutritionists and other observers. The authors present an excellent introduction to the study of food and health. largely based on the work of Weston Price, a dentist who traveled the world 60 years ago studying what people traditionally ate. Dr. Price observed that those people who ate their traditional foods had good health and those that ate more of a "modern" diet, were exhibiting the signs of degenerative disease. The authors of this book then use that information and present wonderful recipes (try, especially, their stock recipes, the flavors they add are great). As one of the other reviewers mentioned, the wisdon and recipes in this book often contradict the current "wisdom" of observing a low-fat, high carb diet. But the current dietary wisdom is always changing, this year it's low-fat, high carb, next year something else will be the rage. End the confusion and do yourself a favor by returning to traditional food. This book will help you do just that.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2008
Having closely followed a similar diet for the past 10 years, and aged 77, I can confirm this book's dietary benefits and how it can restore health and the feel-good factor to one's life. Bruce Fife's book, 'Saturated Fat May Save Your Life' is complimentary to it. Anyone who fails to recognise the benefits of the recommendations in this book is speaking from ignorance. To anyone interested in long-term health benefits then it is a 'must read'! (Read too Dr Mary Enig's interesting article, 'The Oiling of America' which is on the Internet). At my advanced stage to life I am in excellent health without aches or pains, and can run as fast as my Norfolk terriers, still retain a healthy libido, and continue to believe that I have a future; does anyone require more reassurance? It is carbohydrates, especially of the grain variety that furrs arteries, and it is polyunsaturated fats, especially vegetable oils, that are potent immune suppressors, and the rest is propaganda!

Now where is my delicious streaky-bacon, fresh genuine free-ranging hen's eggs, and fried in dripping?
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2001
Fallon presents a masterpiece of intelligent and coherent research. It's a relief to read - absorbing, thought-provoking and well-structured. Fallon's layout and exerpts from other authors ensure captivation, and the recipes are good. It will inspire you, and here's the DANGER - you may become evangelical.
I've come back to buy another four copies for my friends. This is, indeed, a five-star read.
on 26 March 1998
Sally Fallon's book is large in size and in its implications, valiantly sweeping away all the fog and ignorance that is endemic in the field of nutrition today. The book, focussing as it does on traditional (pre-modern) food selection and preparation, is revolutionary in all its common sense, prompting the reader to nod and say, "Yes, that's really true." It seems increasingly baffling to me that, amidst the daily deluge of ideas criss-crossing the landscape of the nutrition frontier, very few people acknowledge the contribution of 50,000 years of human history in the creation and maintenance of health. Well, Sally Fallon does. This book takes the reader to the highest ground yet. I particularly appreciated the excerpts from other books and journals, which are included liberally in sidebars throughout the book. It is a lot like reading several books in one, such is the cumulative scope of Nourishing Traditions. Of course, the recipes, all 700 of them, are fabulous. The book also has an excellent resource section to aid the reader in applying the principles laid out in the text. Finally, one comment on the book's subtitle, "The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats": This book does not tip-toe around the issues. The introduction, besides revealing many frightening (and rarely realized) facts about the state of current nutrition, also issues a call to action for people to release themselves from the collective trance perpetuated through advertising, through the common rationale that "we eat pretty well already," and even through many of the currently popular trends today, including veganism. Prepare to be educated. Prepare to do some weeding. This is a big, bright, shout-from-the-rooftops cookbook that should be required reading for anyone who has the slightest doubt about what they eat. And for those, more likely, who have no doubts.
on 25 November 2008
This book rightly challenges politically correct nutrition, ie low fat is good (it's not, it'll make you depressed - what you need are good fats, like butter and olive oil), milk is bad for you (it's not, you just need to drink organic fermented/cultured products like yoghurt, buttermilk, creme fraiche etc). I have changed our diet (because what I eat, DH eats ) and our digestion has massively improved. I even have a pulse when I go to see the acpuncturist now - in chinese medicine the strength or lack of your pulse is an indicator of your health. Take a look at your tongue; if it's yellow and furry, has teeth marks down the sides and/or cracks in the tongue then you've got issues.

The key to health is your digestive system and this book unlocks the secrets to getting it right!

Buy it now and you'll be on the road to excellent health!
on 26 December 2005
The truth is that all the other reviews are true and accurate; and they still do not cover all the good points about this book - what type of person bothers to write a review about book they have bought on line(?) not me!
I have bought about 50 books in the past year and not felt compelled to review any of them although most were good. However, Sally Fallon and Mary Enig's Nourishing Traditions appeals and finds favour with my instincts it aligns and blends all those random tips, best practises, common sense ideas, and what I call my primaeval memory or instincts into one account without affectation, favour or prejudice.
And yes I bought both of my Sons and their wives the book as well, and no I am not a 'Fallon and Enig' marketing & PR agency they don't need one but they deserve all the help and support to write further material which is of optimal value and non - exploitative of the reader - I have other books on nutrition, cooking, sprouting, fermentation et al but I can't believe myself when each time I subconsciously reach for NT just to see whether it agrees or has some better recommendations on those subjects.
It contains recipes from the basic to the exotic if required, it contains vital information on nutrition and this dictates its approach ie "the nutritional value of foods" what is best and what our bodies need, with information and explanations on associated subjects - but beware, self discipline is required when you pick up the book - use an egg timer or you will easily wile away an enjoyable hour of so!
I must have saved the cost of the book several times over by following the advice and I have reduced my rubbish/garbage by about 75% by buying 'healthier' foods.
on 14 July 2002
I obtained a copy of this book through the local library and upon reading it placed an order with Amazon so that I could have a ready copy for reference purposes. It's a fascinating read and a very enlightening one too, and has, indeed, changed my methods of cooking and to the benefit of my health, aswell as my appetite. I've started on the soups, sprouting, and freshly grown raw foods and the benefits are showing in some rather interesting ways; for example, I've had a skin infection for a number of years which was resistant to medical treatment, but, within 2 weeks on this improved diet, it's gone, and that's not the only benefit. It must surely be boosting my immunity. It's truly an enjoyment cooking a meal in the traditional way and the smells are delicious!.
on 25 May 2009
Very highly recommended, informative, thorough and easy to understand. The added notes at the side of each recipe make for wonderful reading, as do the "Guess the product" by ingredients quizzes. Very thick book filled with a wealth of knowledge, for example about soaking grains etc although some of the recipes are time consuming.
on 28 May 2005
Bought this because my daughter couldn't stop talking about it. I was concerned that reading material like this would simply add confusion to the already conflicting and ever-changing information out there.
I needn't have worried. As I read, I found myself thinking "That makes sense" and it left me wondering how I could have been seduced by the slick sponsors of modern food production. The answer, of course, is repetition. Day in, day out we are bombarded by what we have come to accept as information. Enough of my rambling! Just read the book!