5.0 out of 5 stars The book that replaces many
Published on 22 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good things...but some glaring errors!!!!
The basic premise of this book, and its claims are good; it is interesting reading, and all good advice.
The recipes are a little simplistic for us, but some good ideas we will take.
However, the dreadful ignorance regarding infant nutrition is inexcusable.
No concocted formula comes even close to mothers milk - NOT CLOSE!!! Mothers' milk is a living food...
Published on 17 Dec. 2011 by Hypatia

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that replaces many, 22 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats (Paperback)
This book is an absolute must for anybody who is confused by the plethora of diametrically opposed nutritional 'advice' that permeates our health-conscious society. Although it describes itself as a 'cookbook' there is actually a tremendous amount of material that points out how far removed we actually are from sound nutrition, in spite of what various 'Diet Dictocrats' would have us believe. Among the many pearls of wisdom that the author points out is the fact that animal fat - yes, that substance that we have been taught to revile - is actually necessary for good health, and that this fat has been sought after for centuries by primitive peoples free of degenerative diseases. Every one of her claims, many of which contradict 'conventional' nutrition dogma, is backed up by reputable scientific evidence, and the fallacies of conventional dogma are exposed for the lay reader.
The recipes are pretty fantastic, as well, although be warned! This is a book for those who are serious about improving their health. Good, health building food does not keep for 3 years in a cardboard box on the supermarket shelf, it can't be microwaved in 5 minutes, and it can't be replaced by a synthetic compound in a pill.....
This book will serve me as a lifetime companion. For anybody interested in sound nutrition, but confused by current information will find this book a most worthy addition to their library. Hopefully, the issues set forth in this book will encourage a grass-roots demand for real food.
To personalise your diet even more, I highly recommend 'The Metabolic Typing Diet' by William L. Wolcott and Trish Fahey. This book goes into more detail on customising your diet to meet your personal metabolic needs, whilst adhering to the principles of whole foods and sound preparation methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 6 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions (Paperback)
If my grandmother had written a cookbook, it would have been a lot like this. This book is about eating the kinds of real food that has nourished folks all over the world for centuries, combined with wonderful excerpts from a variety of doctors, nutritionists and other observers. The authors present an excellent introduction to the study of food and health. largely based on the work of Weston Price, a dentist who traveled the world 60 years ago studying what people traditionally ate. Dr. Price observed that those people who ate their traditional foods had good health and those that ate more of a "modern" diet, were exhibiting the signs of degenerative disease. The authors of this book then use that information and present wonderful recipes (try, especially, their stock recipes, the flavors they add are great). As one of the other reviewers mentioned, the wisdon and recipes in this book often contradict the current "wisdom" of observing a low-fat, high carb diet. But the current dietary wisdom is always changing, this year it's low-fat, high carb, next year something else will be the rage. End the confusion and do yourself a favor by returning to traditional food. This book will help you do just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having followed a similar diet..., 10 Aug. 2008
Jennings (Kirriemuir, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
Having closely followed a similar diet for the past 10 years, and aged 77, I can confirm this book's dietary benefits and how it can restore health and the feel-good factor to one's life. Bruce Fife's book, 'Saturated Fat May Save Your Life' is complimentary to it. Anyone who fails to recognise the benefits of the recommendations in this book is speaking from ignorance. To anyone interested in long-term health benefits then it is a 'must read'! (Read too Dr Mary Enig's interesting article, 'The Oiling of America' which is on the Internet). At my advanced stage to life I am in excellent health without aches or pains, and can run as fast as my Norfolk terriers, still retain a healthy libido, and continue to believe that I have a future; does anyone require more reassurance? It is carbohydrates, especially of the grain variety that furrs arteries, and it is polyunsaturated fats, especially vegetable oils, that are potent immune suppressors, and the rest is propaganda!

Now where is my delicious streaky-bacon, fresh genuine free-ranging hen's eggs, and fried in dripping?

5.0 out of 5 stars awealth of information, 27 Jun. 2009
jenni (cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
This is the only cookbook you will need when you get fed up with all the other supposedly 'healthy', yet actually unnatural, cookbooks you have bought and been less than impressed with! It is full of common sense, truth, and undeniable scientific evidence to back up the claims of why the western world is so sick and unhealthy; - bad nutrition!! What you put in your body determines your health, and that is clearly explained throughout the book whenever a 'new' way of preparing a food is described; of course, it is not new at all, it's the way mankind has done it for thousands of years until heavy food processing took over and changed our way of eating and preparing food! Buy this book before any other if you want to understand how to prepare real food to restore/maintain your health; you won't be disappointed! The recipes are wholesome, delicious, and original, yet easy to follow and simple to do! ;o)

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for good health!, 6 Dec. 2013
Lady Vibart (north wales, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
I can't recommend this book enough! It's not just recipes, though of course 100 s are included. There is so much research and clear, well written chapters about what our modern, supposedly healthy diet has done to us and the disease resulting from this, and it just makes so much sense. The references are all there, and there are loads,- and Sally Fallon explains very clearly why cod liver oil, lacto fermented food, butter, raw milk and cheese from pasture fed cows, organic free range eggs, fresh,pesticide free vegetables etc etc are nourishing and full of essential vitamins, minerals and enzymes mankind has eaten in some form or other for million+ years in every culture and which has kept them healthy. She explains how modern marketing and share holder profits drive the huge food manufacturing interests and not the Consumers' health and well being . She uses many examples from both scientific research and anecdotal to illustrate exactly what is causing so many modern, life crippling diseases like cancer, heart problems, Alzheimer's and how we can help ourselves and our families to avoid them, and to a healthier way of living. It took me several months to decide to buy this book, but I have now given it as presents to friends , and even my sceptical husband is convinced of its truths! One of the most interesting, fascination and educational 'cook books' I have ever bought, and I have over 100. I was very happy to discover Sally Fallon is part of a world organisation called Wise Traditions that has yearly events in London and hopefully is a vital part of the much needed revolution we need to bring "nourishment as live giving " to the forefront of our culture. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another cranky book!, 28 May 2005
Stuart Clark (South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this because my daughter couldn't stop talking about it. I was concerned that reading material like this would simply add confusion to the already conflicting and ever-changing information out there.
I needn't have worried. As I read, I found myself thinking "That makes sense" and it left me wondering how I could have been seduced by the slick sponsors of modern food production. The answer, of course, is repetition. Day in, day out we are bombarded by what we have come to accept as information. Enough of my rambling! Just read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST !! A most lively and informative book on NUTRITION, 2 Mar. 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions (Paperback)
A most FASCINATING book on nutrition, based on extensive research and common sense. Sally Fallon brings us back to basics in a very lively and anecdotal way while basing her comments on medical research and observations as well as nutrition theories. She explains everything very simply and it all makes sense. Understanding the poor and even potentially nocif attributes of todays overly processed foods, the damaging effects microwave cooking has on our nutrients and the misconceptions of a number of "fade" diets, have revolutionized my kitchen and cooking habits! To my childrens' dismay, the microwave oven was discarded, organic foods appeared on the table and succanat has replaced white sugar and "fat" is no longer a dirty word!! Sally Fallon has gathered a number of easy to execute recipies, many that I recognize from my european upbringing.

Living in a world where quick, fast are synonymous with convenient, people have lost, forgotten the joys of cooking. Why are we all in such a hurry, what are we all running after??... Sally Fallon reminds us that healthy eating habits are essential for our well being as well as for our children. It never dawned on me that being ignorant on what I was feeding my children was an incredible diservice not only to them but also to my unborn grandchildren. THANK YOU Sally Fallon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A five-star read., 17 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
Fallon presents a masterpiece of intelligent and coherent research. It's a relief to read - absorbing, thought-provoking and well-structured. Fallon's layout and exerpts from other authors ensure captivation, and the recipes are good. It will inspire you, and here's the DANGER - you may become evangelical.
I've come back to buy another four copies for my friends. This is, indeed, a five-star read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 28 Mar. 2007
I cannot add much more than the previous reviewers did. So I will repeat a bit.
The book is really a must read for people who are interested in nutrition. Its been THE book that made sense to me on what is healthy and what is not. There is no confusing in it and no contradictions, at least not for me. It all makes sense, and my family is healthier by it as well. Its also loads of fun, making all the good stuff yrself.
In the meantime I have ordered wild fermentation as well, see what that is going to bring, lots more fun no doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sally Fallon will challenge your thinking, 26 April 2011
This book really challenged so many of the pre-conceptions I had about what is considered healthy. After reading this I've thrown out all vegetable oils and now almost exclusively cook with coconut oil (and you'd never know it or taste it). Its a real eye-opener and I'd say a must read for anyone that is looking to improve their general health and wellbeing. But be warned, there is no quick fix, it requires a lifestyle change in terms of your diet and more time buying /preparing/sourcing quality ingredients.