5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!
Published on 6 Mar 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good things...but some glaring errors!!!!
The basic premise of this book, and its claims are good; it is interesting reading, and all good advice.
The recipes are a little simplistic for us, but some good ideas we will take.
However, the dreadful ignorance regarding infant nutrition is inexcusable.
No concocted formula comes even close to mothers milk - NOT CLOSE!!! Mothers' milk is a living food...
Published on 17 Dec 2011 by Hypatia

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 6 Mar 1998
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions (Paperback)
If my grandmother had written a cookbook, it would have been a lot like this. This book is about eating the kinds of real food that has nourished folks all over the world for centuries, combined with wonderful excerpts from a variety of doctors, nutritionists and other observers. The authors present an excellent introduction to the study of food and health. largely based on the work of Weston Price, a dentist who traveled the world 60 years ago studying what people traditionally ate. Dr. Price observed that those people who ate their traditional foods had good health and those that ate more of a "modern" diet, were exhibiting the signs of degenerative disease. The authors of this book then use that information and present wonderful recipes (try, especially, their stock recipes, the flavors they add are great). As one of the other reviewers mentioned, the wisdon and recipes in this book often contradict the current "wisdom" of observing a low-fat, high carb diet. But the current dietary wisdom is always changing, this year it's low-fat, high carb, next year something else will be the rage. End the confusion and do yourself a favor by returning to traditional food. This book will help you do just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that replaces many, 22 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats (Paperback)
This book is an absolute must for anybody who is confused by the plethora of diametrically opposed nutritional 'advice' that permeates our health-conscious society. Although it describes itself as a 'cookbook' there is actually a tremendous amount of material that points out how far removed we actually are from sound nutrition, in spite of what various 'Diet Dictocrats' would have us believe. Among the many pearls of wisdom that the author points out is the fact that animal fat - yes, that substance that we have been taught to revile - is actually necessary for good health, and that this fat has been sought after for centuries by primitive peoples free of degenerative diseases. Every one of her claims, many of which contradict 'conventional' nutrition dogma, is backed up by reputable scientific evidence, and the fallacies of conventional dogma are exposed for the lay reader.
The recipes are pretty fantastic, as well, although be warned! This is a book for those who are serious about improving their health. Good, health building food does not keep for 3 years in a cardboard box on the supermarket shelf, it can't be microwaved in 5 minutes, and it can't be replaced by a synthetic compound in a pill.....
This book will serve me as a lifetime companion. For anybody interested in sound nutrition, but confused by current information will find this book a most worthy addition to their library. Hopefully, the issues set forth in this book will encourage a grass-roots demand for real food.
To personalise your diet even more, I highly recommend 'The Metabolic Typing Diet' by William L. Wolcott and Trish Fahey. This book goes into more detail on customising your diet to meet your personal metabolic needs, whilst adhering to the principles of whole foods and sound preparation methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Having followed a similar diet..., 10 Aug 2008
Robert Park (Kirriemuir, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
Having closely followed a similar diet for the past 10 years, and aged 77, I can confirm this book's dietary benefits and how it can restore health and the feel-good factor to one's life. Bruce Fife's book, 'Saturated Fat May Save Your Life' is complimentary to it. Anyone who fails to recognise the benefits of the recommendations in this book is speaking from ignorance. To anyone interested in long-term health benefits then it is a 'must read'! (Read too Dr Mary Enig's interesting article, 'The Oiling of America' which is on the Internet). At my advanced stage to life I am in excellent health without aches or pains, and can run as fast as my Norfolk terriers, still retain a healthy libido, and continue to believe that I have a future; does anyone require more reassurance? It is carbohydrates, especially of the grain variety that furrs arteries, and it is polyunsaturated fats, especially vegetable oils, that are potent immune suppressors, and the rest is propaganda!

Now where is my delicious streaky-bacon, fresh genuine free-ranging hen's eggs, and fried in dripping?

5.0 out of 5 stars Nourishing Traditions is a monument., 26 Mar 1998
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions (Paperback)
Sally Fallon's book is large in size and in its implications, valiantly sweeping away all the fog and ignorance that is endemic in the field of nutrition today. The book, focussing as it does on traditional (pre-modern) food selection and preparation, is revolutionary in all its common sense, prompting the reader to nod and say, "Yes, that's really true." It seems increasingly baffling to me that, amidst the daily deluge of ideas criss-crossing the landscape of the nutrition frontier, very few people acknowledge the contribution of 50,000 years of human history in the creation and maintenance of health. Well, Sally Fallon does. This book takes the reader to the highest ground yet. I particularly appreciated the excerpts from other books and journals, which are included liberally in sidebars throughout the book. It is a lot like reading several books in one, such is the cumulative scope of Nourishing Traditions. Of course, the recipes, all 700 of them, are fabulous. The book also has an excellent resource section to aid the reader in applying the principles laid out in the text. Finally, one comment on the book's subtitle, "The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats": This book does not tip-toe around the issues. The introduction, besides revealing many frightening (and rarely realized) facts about the state of current nutrition, also issues a call to action for people to release themselves from the collective trance perpetuated through advertising, through the common rationale that "we eat pretty well already," and even through many of the currently popular trends today, including veganism. Prepare to be educated. Prepare to do some weeding. This is a big, bright, shout-from-the-rooftops cookbook that should be required reading for anyone who has the slightest doubt about what they eat. And for those, more likely, who have no doubts.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point, 10 April 2009
This book is a great resource for changing your diet for the better. I use my copy almost daily to help me convert the recipes I have always used for the better and to try out new ones. Not all of the recipes work perfectly but I have yet to have one (other than beet kvass but I think it is supposed to taste like that ;0) ) be unpleasant.
There are problems with the book (the infant feeding advice is one glaring example) but overall I would recommend it to anyone interested in good health and good eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another cranky book!, 28 May 2005
Stuart Clark (South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this because my daughter couldn't stop talking about it. I was concerned that reading material like this would simply add confusion to the already conflicting and ever-changing information out there.
I needn't have worried. As I read, I found myself thinking "That makes sense" and it left me wondering how I could have been seduced by the slick sponsors of modern food production. The answer, of course, is repetition. Day in, day out we are bombarded by what we have come to accept as information. Enough of my rambling! Just read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST !! A most lively and informative book on NUTRITION, 2 Mar 1997
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions (Paperback)
A most FASCINATING book on nutrition, based on extensive research and common sense. Sally Fallon brings us back to basics in a very lively and anecdotal way while basing her comments on medical research and observations as well as nutrition theories. She explains everything very simply and it all makes sense. Understanding the poor and even potentially nocif attributes of todays overly processed foods, the damaging effects microwave cooking has on our nutrients and the misconceptions of a number of "fade" diets, have revolutionized my kitchen and cooking habits! To my childrens' dismay, the microwave oven was discarded, organic foods appeared on the table and succanat has replaced white sugar and "fat" is no longer a dirty word!! Sally Fallon has gathered a number of easy to execute recipies, many that I recognize from my european upbringing.

Living in a world where quick, fast are synonymous with convenient, people have lost, forgotten the joys of cooking. Why are we all in such a hurry, what are we all running after??... Sally Fallon reminds us that healthy eating habits are essential for our well being as well as for our children. It never dawned on me that being ignorant on what I was feeding my children was an incredible diservice not only to them but also to my unborn grandchildren. THANK YOU Sally Fallon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes .. interesting information that surprises!, 20 Sep 1998
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions (Paperback)
The fact that our ancestors only ever ate grain that was either fermented or sprouted was enough of a revelation to me to make it the sole reason I am glad I bought this book. I've subsequently experimented with fermenting my morning muesli and it IS GREAT ... truly ... not fizzy or weird tasting, not what you'd think at all. The idea behind this fermenting ... grains are very hard to digest and starting the digestive break-down process ahead of time by fermenting the grain allows your body's digestive powers to make full nutritional use of the grain ( well ... once you eventually do convince yourself to take the first mouthful that is!). This book presents many opposite opinions from currently held dietary advice with some very convincing evidence to back it up.
As a sobering 'other side to the dietary argument' with the addition of having great recipes from around the world and loads of related little bits of information alongside the recipes, I think this is a great buy and a great gift for a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A five-star read., 17 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Fallon presents a masterpiece of intelligent and coherent research. It's a relief to read - absorbing, thought-provoking and well-structured. Fallon's layout and exerpts from other authors ensure captivation, and the recipes are good. It will inspire you, and here's the DANGER - you may become evangelical.
I've come back to buy another four copies for my friends. This is, indeed, a five-star read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, 19 Mar 2010
S. Smith (London) - See all my reviews
I've been looking for ways to get my health back after a year and a half of chronic fatigue, and discovered instant results putting myself on the Selective Carbohydrate Diet with probiotics. This led me to the Weston A Price organisation, which recommends this book. It has a radically different approach from any books about health I have read ( and I've read a lot of them), and it's had a mesmeric effect on everyone I've shown it to, like a story book; they've been instantly absorbed. It isn't just informative, it's got atmosphere. When I speak to the older members of my family, and some friends from Europe about my "amazing discoveries", though, they just smile and say "of course"!
The best thing about it for me is the idea that what you like is not bad for you - it's just that the commercial versions of the tastes and textures you crave are harmful substitutes for the real health-giving foods; and here is everything you need to find that and make it.
It has many sections on different aspects of nutrition, together with dozens of recipes and intelligently written explanations for their inclusion.
So far I've made gorgeous Latin American sauerkraut, and amazing sour pickles.
Since I can't digest starches I'm very happy to find so much about how to prepare them so that they can be more easily digested and also enjoyable.It's also a good source of recipes using gluten alternatives.