5.0 out of 5 stars The other side of the Cholesterol debate, 4 Oct 2004
This review is from: The Cholestrol Myths: Exposing the Fallacy That Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease (Paperback)
Up until two years I believed that Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) was treatable illness that only killed people who were in certain high risk categories; i.e. people who ate lots of saturated fat, didn't excise, smoked etc etc etc - I think everybody has heard of these factors through one source or another. Two years ago my Dad died of a sudden Heart Attack at the age of 58, which stunned all of my family! It completely caught us unawares, because he didn't seem to be at risk at all. According to the heart disease risk factors he should have been fine, because he didn't fit into many of these categories; and most confusing of all he had a very low CHOLESTEROL level. This was the main thing that caught us all out, because we got sucked in by the misinformation that is continuously being pumped out by government bodies, health food producers and off course the drugs companies!!!
This started me looking for answers ... after a few web searches I came across this book.
Uffe Ravnskov definitely seems to be one of those rare people who can see past the hype and the pressure from his peers to accept the consensus. He has written a very comprehensive report re-analysing the CHD research over the last 50 years showing how most of it has very little link to Cholesterol and Saturated Fat. The problem with media and government advice is that it is usually one sided, they can't be seen to be confused, especially about something as big as CHD - but if the scientists are puzzled then shouldn't this advise be passed onto the public? A book like 'The Cholesterol Myths' attempts to even up this one sided debate, and I'd definitely recommend reading it just so that you - and not others with ulterior motives - can make up your own mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you take statins, eat 5 portions of fruit etc this book could save your life, 24 May 2008
This is the book the diet industry does not want you to read. I have bought three copies already: one for my son; one for my nephew; and one for myself. Here is my experience:

I am retired and had a health check. I was fit, into rowing, mountain hikes and other heavy excercise and very fit. I was told my cholesterol was "high" and this meant 5.8. My GP offered mea statin drug which was "what the government recommends." In a couple of months my cholesterol was 3.4. I was delighted. One day I discovered my thighs ached, I couldn't walk easily and I was depressed. My eyes were "blurry". At 67 I thought that age had at last got me. Then I read an article in The Sunday Times about the worries about statin drugs. My GP warned me about the dangers of stopping my statin "more dangerous than if you had never started" was the received wisdom. I researched the internet and found this book. The same day I stopped statins. A fortnight later I was feeling back to normal and soon on a daily diet of 3 or 4 eggs (our own hens), often a pint of full cream milk a day, cheese and all the stuff you shouldn't eat according to the received wisdom.
A relative who visited us was amazed at my diet and "thought I would have known better." He was 2 years younger than myself and could scarcely climb our stairs to his bedroom. I was walking for a few miles up into the hills most days. Sometimes I walked all day.
My wife heard a consultant on the radio advising on the benefits of statins and recorded the interview. She thought I should listen to it. My conclusion was that I would rather be dead than return to statins and I have been on my present diet for the last four years.
The public take diet advice as "gospel". I have even seen a government minister sitting at a desk with five peices of fruit saying this was a healthy diet.
Read this book. The number of obese people attempting to stick to a destructive addictive diet is sad. The same goes for those with diabetes. Read this book. You will not regret it. Uffe Ravnskov is a hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - detailed and absorbing, 11 April 2002
By A Customer
Dr Ravnskov does an admirable job of demolishing the oft-cited theory that cholesterol and saturated fat cause heart disease (the so-called 'diet-heart' idea). He treats his readers as adults and does not miss out any of the gory statistical details. Poorly-conducted studies, statistical fudges and even blatant mis-quotes from scientific papers seem to form the basis of the 'diet-heart' idea. Ravnskov peels away the layers of misconceptions in this highly absorbing book. Highly recommended, especially if you know someone who is 'watching their cholesterol' for no good medical reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars The other side of the Cholesterol debate, 12 Oct 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Holding high the banner of science, 22 Mar 2004
J. Kristensen "Vad" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
Uffe Ravnskov is one of those people who makes me want to rekindle the statistics skills I picked up when attenting business school. I think that anyone can read his book but it deepens the understanding if you know some basic statistics. It is an excellent book and he has such a firm and elegant handling of the subject that you cannot help but be impressed. It's a difficult issue where a lot of people have chosen untrue, simple explanations over a complicated, but scientific truth.
Despite taking statistics very seriously it is not a difficult book to read, so please don't let that scare you.
I've studied science and the scientific method for many years, and I get a nice, fuzzy feeling inside when reading a book of such quality as this. Anyone interested in human nutrition and diet, low-carb life styles and the intricacies of science and vested interests in a market economy must read this science thriller.
It is important to stress that Uffe Ravnskov doesn't represent his own alternative, pet theories about what causes coronary heart disease. No, his aim is to scientifically falsify the diet-heart idea (lipid hypothesis). At most he seems to point out some interesting avenues that the scientific research might want to consider instead of wasting more time on the lipid hypothesis.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cholesterol Myths, 5 Jan 2010
Elizabeth Gay (France) - See all my reviews
This is a well written book which explains the subject in an uncomplicated manner and is easy for the layman to understand. It reveals some astonishing cover-ups made by researchers to falsify results in order to keep alive the myth that saturated fat causes heart disease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly done! Fat and cholesterol are good for you, 28 Jan 2012
Jodi-Hummingbird - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book explains in very easy to understand language that common myths about fat and cholesterol include that:

- High fat foods cause heart disease.
- High cholesterol levels cause heart disease.
- High-fat foods (especially those high in saturated fats) raise blood cholesterol.
- Cholesterol clogs your arteries and so do saturated fats.
- Animal studies prove the saturated fat and high cholesterol = heart disease theory
- Lowering your cholesterol level will lengthen your life.
- Eating only or primarily polyunsaturated oils is good for you.
- The anti-saturated fat and low-cholesterol campaign is based on good science.
- All scientists support the saturated fat and high cholesterol = heart disease theory.

Instead of this book being one long block of text the book is broken up into sections, each one dealing with one of the myths listed above and why it isn't correct. (Note that I haven't listed the exact titles here, I've paraphrased them slightly.) I thought that having these different sections each dealing with a specific set of facts and evidence made the information a bit easier to take in.

The section at the end where the author gave information about some of the other experts in this field that are also doing what they can to make the public aware that the lipid hypothesis is unscientific, was also very good. The quotes given by each of them were just excellent. They cut right to the point!

The author lays out fact upon fact in this book in a very convincing and logical way. The facts are so shocking. The way the public has been manipulated for profit is appalling. This information is something that very much needs to be more widely known. This book, and the other books by this author on this topic, deserve to be widely read.

The book is also occasionally bitingly sarcastic and very funny. I'd highly recommend it.

Much of the same information in this book is included in the excellent Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health (Vintage) by Gary Taubes. This book also explains why 'calories in, calories out' is bunkum and why low fat diets are not healthy. Books such as Know Your Fats : The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol, Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food and Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats are also good choices for anyone that wants to read more about this topic and what really constitutes a healthy diet.

Some of the great quotes from this book:

--------

``But what about heart disease?' This is the response of many Americans when advised to consume the foods of their ancestors, foods like butter, whole milk, eggs and meat. Fear of saturated fat and cholesterol has put a solid brick wall between the consumer and satisfying nutritious food - and filled the coffers of the food processing industry.' Sally Fallon

`The fourth and last wrong measure of probability I shall take notice of, and which keeps in ignorance or error more people than all the other together, is... the giving up our assent to the common received opinions, either of our friends or party, neighbourhood or country. How many men have no other ground for their tenets, than the supposed honesty, or learning, or number of those of the same profession? As if honest or bookish men could not err; or truth were to be established by the vote of the multitude: yet this with most men serves the turn. If we could but see the secret motives that influenced the men of name and learning in the world, and the leaders of parties, we should not always find that it was the embracing of truth for its own sake, that made them espouse the doctrines they owned and maintained.' John Locke

`Frankly, the recommendation of the American Heart Association, government health agencies, and the media, -- that people switch from saturated fats to polyunsaturated vegetable oils -- has probably killed and crippled more Americans than both World Wars." Former brain surgeon Russell Blaylock MD

The cholesterol campaign is "the greatest scientific deception of this century, perhaps of any century." Physician and scientist George Mann

"The public is so brainwashed, that many people believe that the lower your cholesterol, the healthier you will be or the longer you will live. Nothing could be further from the truth." Paul Rosch MD FACP

"If you have come to believe you can ward off death from heart disease by altering the amount of cholesterol in your blood, whether by diet or by drugs, you are following a regime that has no basis in fact." Edward Pinckney MD former co-editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association

"The current campaign to convince every American to change his or her diet, and in many cases to initiate drug `therapy' for life is based on fabrications, erroneous interpretations and/or gross exaggerations of findings and, very importantly, the ignoring of massive amounts of unsupportive data." Russell Smith MD

"The idea that saturated fats cause heart disease is completely wrong, but the statement has been "published" so many times over the last three or more decades that it is very difficult to convince people otherwise unless they are willing to take the time to read and learn what all the economic and political factors were that produced the anti-saturated fat agenda." Mary Enig PhD

"Fearing to lose their soft money funding, the academicians who should speak up and stop this wasteful anti science are strangely quiet. Their silence has delayed a solution for coronary heart disease by a generation. Those who manipulate data do not appreciate that understanding the nature of things cannot be permanently distorted - the true explanations cannot be permanently ignored. Inexorably, truth is revealed and deception is exposed. ...In due time truth will come out. This is the relieving grace in this sorry sequence." Professor Mann

"Your fear of dying--if you happen to be one of the great many people who suffer from this morbid preoccupation- may well have made you a victim of the cholesterol controversy. For, if you have come to believe that you can ward off death from heart disease by altering the amount of cholesterol in your blood, whether by diet or by drugs, you are following a regime that still has no basis in fact. Rather, you as a consumer, have been taken in by certain commercial interests and health groups who are more interested in your money than your life." Professor Mann's

"One must be bold indeed to attempt to persuade large segments of the populations of the world to change their accustomed diets and to threaten important branches of agriculture and agribusiness with the results of such uncontrolled, primitive, trial and error type explorations. Certainly modern science is capable of better research when so much is at stake." Raymond Reiser

The cholesterol cartel of drug companies, manufacturers of low fat foods, blood testing devices, and others with huge vested financial interests have waged a highly successful promotional campaign. Their power is so great that they have infiltrated medical and governmental regulatory agencies that would normally protect us from such unsubstantiated dogma.
The current campaign to convince every American to change his or her diet and, in many cases, to initiate drug "therapy" for life is based on fabrications, erroneous interpretations and/or gross exaggerations of findings and, very importantly, the ignoring of massive amounts of unsupportive data...It does not seem possible that objective scientists without vested interests could ever interpret the literature as supportive." Professor Rosch

-----

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

5.0 out of 5 stars Authoritative reviews from the back cover..., 11 Aug 2012
"Dr Ravnskov has done a magnificent service with a scholarly book that gathers a vast body of impressive evidence and will surprise many with the true facts from research studies. The book is a must reading for all interested persons and certainly should be required reading for nutritionists and all physicians who treat patients." >Ray H Rosenman, MD Former Director of Cardiovascular Research, SRI

--------------------------------------------
"Whether diet plays a major role in heart disease is a question that interests us all. Author Ravnskov explains that there is another side to his question than the view usually presented to us. This book will make us think more deeply about the true role of diet in heart disease and about the quality of the information that we receive." >Michael Gun-, PhD, Renowned Lipid Chemist
--------------------------------------------
"Fear of saturated fat and cholesterol in foods like butter, whole milk, eggs and meat, has put a solid brick wall between the consumer and satisfying, nutritious food, and filled the coffers of the food processing industry. Dr Ravnskov's measured and clear-eyed analysis actually serves as a sledgehammer that breaks down barriers to healthy, sensible eating." > Sally Fallon, Author of Nourishing Traditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most important book anyone could read, 9 Mar 2012
This is possibly the most important book anyone could read in their life, but why is it so expensive? I can't help thinking that there must be some kind of commercial pressure at work here - possibly a publisher issue that makes this book more rare than it should be. I can't imagine how this would work, but it seems obvious to me that where there is a huge amount of big-industry money at stake (I am talking about the low-fat industry now), then all kinds of devious things can happen. It makes sense to take this book very seriously for this very reason. Ten years ago this was the first book to properly address the idea that we have all been hoodwinked for the last 50 years by a profit-based diet religion, which has more to do with the government endorsed sale of agricultural commodities, and feeding an over-populated planet with cheap low-quality food, than it has about real individual health. Now there are a dozen or so books on the same subject. The message is finally getting across, albeit slowly, as there are still a very large percentage of people who don't actually read books and rely on TV, newspapers and magazines - and all the celebrity morons who propagate the same old dietary dogma. It appears it really is possible to die of stupidity!

Other authors that are well-worth reading are: Gary Taubes, Malcolm Kendrick, Sally Fallon and Mary Enig.

Used & New from: 4.09