Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 1998
"Birthing From Within" has something for everyone: practical advice for first-time pregnancies, things you ought to know (that you won't be told at the obstetrician's office), nutrition guidelines, and post-birth information on becoming a family.

The information on pain-techniques and birthing techniques is something I haven't run across in the many books I've read on childbirth. There are worksheets and reminder cards and wonderful ideas for creating birth art (even if you don't think you're artistically inclined)!

This book is creative enough not to be lumped in with the generic mainstream birthing books which basically ignore the spiritual side of birthing. It manages to balance the practical advice with the information that makes you cry, ponder, and look forward to the powerful experience of childbirth. This is a GREAT read!
on 25 July 1998
After reading this book in one sitting, I'm convinced that England and Horowitz will replace the outdated, male-created birth methods of Lamazze and Bradley. Written by a midwife and her husband, a psychologist, these two take you into a powerful new way giving birth. Through art therapy, creative visualization and a focus on Zen, these two give birthing back to women. Their method is not only inspiring, but empowering. I highly recommend this book to not only pregnant women, their partners, but also to OB/GYNs, midwives and doulas who want to connect in a deeer, more satisfying way with their pregnant patients. A thousand hurrahs to England and Horowitz for finally allowing women and their partners to experience childbirth preparation as an exciting, fascinating, thrilling and soul-searching experience.
on 4 January 2007
I credit this book with my enormously positive birth experience. It led me from terrified first time pregnant girl to empowered birth giving woman. I picked it up first when 4 months pregnant and dumped it again thinking it was far too way out- it was the belly cast party that put me off! But picked it up again nearer to the birth and created some birth art that means so much to me and used it to prepare psychologically and emotionally for the birth, something which we have so little help in doing in our medicalised birth culture. I give it to every friend I know who is pregnant- it is passionate, inspiring and real. I am so grateful that someone was capable of writing a book that truly acknowledges all aspects of the birthing process and counteracts the fear which surrounds it.
on 9 November 1998
I have been a CNM for twenty years and read every childbirth book ever published. In all that time I never found a book that reflected my philosophy and encouraged women, although Kitzinger came close. Finally, after all this time, Pam England has done it.
If for no other reason than the chapter, Stand and Deliver, every birthing woman should read this book. England is realistic-no promises of virtually painless birth if you follow her directions-and positive about the formidable powers of birthing women.
Read, enjoy the feelings that this affirmation of powers envokes, and birth wisely.
on 7 February 2010
After a traumatic first delivery 2 yrs ago I found myself getting increasingly stressed throughout my second pregnancy. I bought this book at about 35 weeks gestation and read it in a few days. I gave birth naturally to a healthy baby girl 2 days ago and I feel so happy and positive about this birthing experience. The book gave me an understanding of other peoples' experiences and fear and a new found confidence to attend the hospital without the word epidural tattooed to my forehead. Obviously if circumstance determines that medical intervention be required that is 100% the way to go. The book supports this but natural childbirth has possibly been one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had and without the book, pregnancy yoga, my husband and my midwife I wouldn't have chosen it as an option. If you are reading this you may well be facing the fear too. I wish you the very best whatever is right for you. Good luck!
on 23 January 2010
... and the point is postnatal.

I feel this book has something really worthwhile to offer anyone expecting a baby which they may not get elsewhere. It goes beyond information and skills to tapping into the spiritual and creative but in a very accessible inclusive way.

What lets the book down dreadfully is the section on feeding which states categorically that all babies need to learn how to take a bottle which is completely untrue. Even babies who must experience some maternal separation may not need to be fed with a bottle and for a variety of reasons, introducing a bottle carries risks. I struggle to understand why this opinionated ill informed section has been included.
on 24 June 2010
I was given this book by my midwife. It basically tells how birth is an entirely natural process and the majority of births are more traumatic than they need to be because women are scared! It then goes through the normal concerns and how to put aside your fears to give birth as naturally as possible. It is not unrealistic, it does not suggest you drink herbal tea and go and live in the woods for 9 months, it is common sense advice that should have been passed from mother to daughter and has somehow got lost in amongst the gas and air and other medical interventions.
I gave this book to a friend of mine who had a horrific first birth and was scared of her second. In the end she had a short and easy labour and birth at home and she said this book was an important part of that.
on 4 May 2002
This book touches on the areas that expectant mothers are often to afraid to discuss, as well as light-hearted instruction on creative projects (e.g. making a pregnant belly cast!). It gives outstanding advice on dealing with empowerment, pain control, self expression and many others subjects that fans of natural birth will encounter. This book is worth it's weight in gold just for the chapter on pain-management alone.
on 12 December 2006
I've accumulated quite a library in trying to understand what I might expect in having my first child. I've read quite a range, but still felt like I wasn't clear on what actually happens - it all felt very medically explained, but didn't tell me what I might feel emotionally and physically, nor did I feel confident that I was getting to whole story. This book was easy to read, and is orientated from the point of view of how the mother giving birth (and her birth partner) may experience labour and birth. Hence, birthing from within. I feel that I have a realistic, but not fearful expectation of what is likely to happen, and importantly, the tips, preparation and information given in this book help you to understand how to build your own way of dealing with and having the best possible birth experience for you. Highly recommended.
on 8 January 2011
Very good book with loads of insights to pregnancy and birth. There are no particular methods of preparing for labour rather the book is concentrating on mums emotional preparation for the labour and baby which in turn helps all the labour anxieties.