on 24 May 2015
This is one of my favourite books, a wonderful story all the better because it is true. It is made even more poignant as I have connections with The Isle of Wight and have visited Father Joe's grave. Father Joe comes across as a very wise but humble being who benefited many. It is a feel good book that restores one's faith in humanity. Highly recommended.
on 8 November 2013
I found this, the second time I've bought it (I lent the first paperback to a friend) very moving and thought provoking. But, it mustn't be rushed, it should be savoured and mulled over, like all inspiring reads.
on 25 September 2013
I enjoyed reading this book which I purchased a few years ago and which my husband also enjoyed. I therefore took the opportunity some years later of purchasing this book for a friend who also enjoyed reading it.
on 26 February 2014
The opening pages of this book certainly grabbed my attention. Equally, the closing pages of the book were excellent. It's what lies between the beginning and the end that was so disappointing. Nevertheless, Tony Hendra does convey a very clear and inspiring portrait of Fr Joe as someone who was a truly remarkable Christian.

Andre E. Herve
on 21 February 2014
The opening section and the closing section of this book were outstanding, but what lay in between was poor and uninspiring. However, Tony Hendra does succeed in conveying to the reader that the principal subject (Fr. Joe) was a truly remarkable individual, someone we would all like to meet, or to have as a best friend.