4.0 out of 5 stars It made me feel good about being different, 25 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Real Rain Man, the (Paperback)
Kim Peek is such a gift to us all. His inspiration to lift and make the most of yourself is fantastic. I not only read the book, I have met him and his father. What a great service they provide to the world. If you want to feel good about being different this is the book for you. He says things that others are afraid to say or are embarrassed to admit. He is candid and forthright. We could all learn from him. I recommend reading this book for a book group. It is uplifting and energizing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The man who could not tie his own shoes, 15 Oct. 2009
R. WALKER (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Rain Man, the (Paperback)
You must have been living in a cave if you have either not watched Rain Man by Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman or read about Kim Peek , Dustin Hoffman not only based his character on Kim but meet him its all in the book.

People are aways amazed by others who can win Mastermind or be on Who wants to be a Millionaire or more recently Eggheads my current favourite and think they would love to be them, Kim Peek is altogether an other matter he is a savaunt and can perform increadible feats of memory we are all impressed by him and so we should be as his dedication to learn new facts would leave the rest of us breathless.

His life story is no less impressive, he is a throughly nice guy and that comes out in the book, to some he was a figure of fun to tease and test and try to beat even insult, his put downs are equally impressive when someone tries to belittle him.

I enjoyed reading the book and still have it on my shelf and when I get lazy and do not study I pick up the book and re read it it is inspirational, but for all that Kim Peek cannot tie his own shoes laces and that to me is the price he is paying for his genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, 27 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Real Rain Man, the (Paperback)
Kim and Fran Peek tell their life stories here.

Fran, Kim's father, recounts his part in bringing up, caring for and expanding the horizons of a person with no apparent spontaneous inclination towards social contact. Kim speaks to us only in short sound-bites, "KimKwips" is Fran's term, which reveal perception and a wry, humorous side in someone who could so easily be seen as one-dimensional.

Kim's uniquely structured brain put attainments like an average conventional IQ or average life skills beyond any hope of reach. It also endowed him with a mental data storage capacity beyond our average conception, together with a retrieval and collation facility that systems designers can only dream of.

Kim's instant access to vast stores of compassion could sometimes be debilitating, as when a bad headline involving a child could totally wreck his whole day. But it could also be uplifting, as when his display of inherent human kindness inspired so many of the more than half a million people who met him.

Fran's devotion when he read open books to the infant Kim may have kick-started a lifelong process whereby thousands of volumes, from Shakespeare to encyclopaedias, to Yellow Pages, to annual TV schedules ... even Reader's Digest, were absorbed at phenomenal speed and kept available for instant recall decades later.

Fran recounts how all these talents and Kim's sheer niceness blossomed over years of public appearances and meetings.

The book is somewhat unstructured, fragmentary, haphazard: an approach that admirably matches its strange tale. This is a thought-provoking and enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 21 Mar. 2010
Mrs. Julie Simmons (Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Rain Man, the (Paperback)
I bought this for my husbands birthday, he was really pleased with it and couldn't put it down. Some of the bits he's read out to me and I am now waiting to read it myself. Quick delivery from this seller too.

Real Rain Man, the
Real Rain Man, the by Fran Peek (Paperback - 1 April 1997)