5.0 out of 5 stars Read, digest and leave your mates behind.
Published on 23 Oct. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tips but annoying !!
I haven't finished reading this yet. There's some excellent stuff in here which I'm trying out.

Published on 24 Mar. 2009 by meeklum

5.0 out of 5 stars Read, digest and leave your mates behind., 23 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: A Twist of the Wrist: Basics of High-performance Motor Cycle Riding - Volume 2: Basics of High-performance Motor Cycle Riding Vol 2 (Paperback)
I have been riding for 21 years, done numerous Police run courses and have always considered my motorcycling abilities to be pretty good. Nothing could have prepared me for the revalations that this book holds. It is, without doubt, the most informative source of information on motorcycling that I have ever found. It will teach you how to get the best from your machine, in all situations. You will ride faster, safer and smoother than ever before.
Ever stuggled a little to keep up with the group? Not any more. Read this book and you will be the one at the front and it will be you that's waiting for the back markers. There are things in this book that I never even knew about, let alone how to perform. Shortly after reading it, I went on a road skills day. After riding around the circuit a couple of times, under the watchful eye of a qualified instructor, he told me there was nothihng he could teach me and to go off and enjoy the day. Blasting around Cadwell Park with the knowledge I'd learnt from this book was absolute heaven. The rest of my class spent the day learning the basics of counter steering and weight distribution while I just played at being a track god!
If you haven't read this book, then you must. I don't believe anyone could read it and not learn from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tips - basic language, 28 May 2001
By A Customer
I chose this book on previous reader reviews. I have nearly finished reading the book now and the advice that Kieth Code gives and the methods he tries to impose upon you are excellent. When you are reading the book you think to yourself 'Of course, how simple' and trying out his techniques has definately improved my riding, and my riding keeps on improving every time I apply his principles.
There is however a big min point with this book. The language is so basic and simple that I felt at times almost offended by its simplicity. It is almost like childs English. With all of the definitions of the words with a * by them I found it very irritating. I felt like I was back in my earlier years at high school. It is a shame because it has blighted the book as far as I am concerned.
However, everyone can learn from what Kieth Code has to say, just don't expect to be treated like an intellect! Therefore just the 4 stars instead of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to be a racer to appreciate this book., 9 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
As a newbie (and nervous) biker, I found _Twist II_ turned my riding around. Code achieves complete clarity of style; the glossaries are initially irritating, but they work in hammering home the point that he is picking his words carefully and means *exactly* what he says.
Not all of the material is applicable to street riding, but Code's 'mental toolkit' approach means that most of it is still very useful to non-racers. I didn't buy this book to learn how to go faster, just how to ride with improved smoothness and confidence; now I ride faster *as well*. Read a chapter or two at a time, attentively, and stop being your bike's worst enemy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read for any motorcyclist!, 6 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
Ever wondered why you get "that corner" right sometimes and wrong others? Well here's your chance to find out. Keith Code explains in clear and easy to understand terms, what make your bike stick to the road like glue one day and then slide the next. The book is written primarily for road racers, but don't let that put you off. After reading this book several times now, I have learned so much about riding on the road, that I am forever in Dave's debt for lending me his copy before I bought mine. If you read this book and take it in, you will become a smoother, cleaner and faster rider. So take the time to read it, and enjoy your riding afterwards. N.B. Keith Code runs the California Superbike school and has trained riders like Doug Chandler, so he knows what he's talking about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A blend of the psychology and mechanics of riding fast bikes, 1 Feb. 2002
This is a fascinating book, and one everyone should read if they want to feel more in control of their 2 wheeled steed. The author examines the physics of exactly why bikes behave they way they do under different circumstances. He then advises on how the mentality of the rider can be adapted to allow control the bike by allowing the physics of the bike to sort it self out. Sounds odd, but Keith explains that in most near-crash situations, if the rider tries to do something to stop the bike crashing, he is actually more likely to make it crash. If you can't be bothered to read the book, the one point he emphasises again and again is keep rolling on that throttle. One thing that annoyed me about the book was the stupid end of chapter glossaries. Maybe some people need words like "traction" and "accelerate" explained to them, but the shouldn't be allowed near a sports bike in the first place!...

5.0 out of 5 stars Without knowing, a bike reacts the opposite way !, 13 May 1999
By A Customer
When you read "A Twist of the wrist I and II" you will drive better! The two main things I learned were : 1) When an uncofortable situations occurs, you (= the driver) will react wrong. 2) If you try to steer or to correct the bike, it will react the opposite way.// I wanted to do faster corners and tried to hang off the bike to get my knee down. I took my time and I gradually added speed. At the time (before reading the book) everything I did seemed logic and safe to me. After reading the book I knew that I had been riding very dangerously and it was a mirracle I didn't crash !! These books are full of tips and knowledge you really should know. Example 1 : What happens when you steer right ? Try it and don't be surprised when the bike goes left. What if this happens when you are trying to avoid a lorry ? Read it and find out more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. A 'must' for all riders of all abilities, 2 April 2001
By A Customer
Ever wondered why your bike does what it does, when it does it and why? How do those fast riders get around corners so quickly? I used to ask all of these questions myself. And if I ever asked anybody who could ride like that how they did it, they just smiled and walked off with a 'don't you know' look on their face. When I read this book, it answered all of those questions and more. I thought I was a fast road rider, but after reading this book and more importantly, making sure I understood each aspect of what it was explaining, I became quicker, more in control, more comfortable with what the bike was doing, but more importantly, safer. I did have to slow down for a couple of months as I completely changed my riding style, but it was worth it. I recommend this book to riders at all levels.
By the way, I ride a Fireblade.

5.0 out of 5 stars The basics, 10 Mar. 2006
J. McDougall (Calne, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been riding since 1989, in 2003 I started Racing and bought twist 2 .
Strange logic but I would read twist 2 then go back to twist 1 and the soft science of motorbike racing last.
This allows you to go from the basics that he has defined in twist 2 then go back and built on it. The books are good but you really need to go to his school 'California superbike school' to finish the education.
I have been on a bike for many years without knowing how a bike steered, what made it handle in corners and where to look etc.
most excellent :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ride fast and safe....., 23 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
This book will pull your riding apart before putting it back together. Anyone from a novice to an expert will gain something from this book.
It contains very little about roadcraft (so if you're looking for details on passing a test forget it) but it does build from some basic physical and mental principles in to concise bible for anyone wishing to improve their riding technique.
The rather odd american jargon takes some getting used to (hence his use of a glossary at the end of every chapter) but his theories are well explained and can be used when you go out on the road.
Its best to start the book at the begining and read it through in the order the author intended otherwise each point tends to lose its context. Once that is done you can re-read specific sections when required.
Every road rider should read this book and practice the contents. Brill.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tips but annoying !!, 24 Mar. 2009

I'm not sure of the purpose of explaining every single word of more than one syllable...but it's REALLY annoying. Is it an attempt at humour ? Does Keith think that we're stupid ? Or is it just an attempt to fill all the acres of white space ? This is my other gripe, there seems to be a lot of blank space. Am I paying for this ?

The tips and the diagrams are very clear and helpful though. I've been riding for 20+ years and there have been several "aaaah" moments of realisation, as well as "what, are you sure ?" moments. I do like the book for this despite the moans mentioned.