Format: PaperbackChange

on 10 April 2009
American Borders: A Solo Circumnavigation of the United States on A

I read a lot of these books and this one is one I will keep and read again! Almost as good as Lois on the loose, which is another good read.
on 14 August 2011
I have mixed thoughts about this very readable book. I was expecting a more objective narrative and detail of the Journey, and there is 'fast forward' at many places. Perhaps these parts weren't interesting, but I felt a bit let down. Some very nice touches in this very personal account of a long ride, changing landscapes with famous and not so famous personalities. Combining the vagiaries of a technically retarded ( but easily worked on! ) motorcycle combination, a determination to 'go it alone', and a 'can do' attitude make this an entertaining read.
on 3 April 2011
Very well written and worth buying in my opinion. She is a truly remarkable Lady, and I have the utmost respect for her hands-on-approach to the mechanical problems she encountered on the road. She tells it as it is, her view as she travels from the heart, sex, bad times and happiness as she completes her goal in this epic journey. The Russian motorcycle outfit was ridden and tested around America by Carla, she overcame and conquered many problems and shares them with us, as if you were there. Buy the book!
on 27 October 2011
This is a very interesting and unusual (and true) tale of a young lady who toured the borders of the US and into Canada in order to test-drive a Ural motorcycle with sidecar when these vehicles were being introduced to the US in the last few years. She meets some interesting people along the way and has the usual array of technical problems, creatively resolved. It's actually quite a page-turner! Recommend that a copy be bought for all bike clubs to be lent around.
on 29 December 2011
Bought primarily as a result of the reviews on this site and the urge to read an "adventure travel" book. I soldiered on to the end in the forlorn hope that the author would get into her stride as the book progressed. This book lacks the humour of Lois Pryce's books or the depth and detail of Sam Manicom's publications.There are better books out there.
on 4 January 2011
I own a Ural combo and I can certainly sympathise with Carla as most of the mechanical issues she faced I am familiar with! Because of that I felt 'involved' in her trip somewhat. A good bedtime read.