on 4 September 1999
I just received this book and I cannot say enough about it. It is wonderful. She discusses color, color wheels, color intensity, and how to choose colors that will work together well in a sweater. That discussion alone is worth the price of the book. She suggests tricks, including using a kind of kalidescope to see how colors will look with each other.
She also uses dyes on one sweater, and swatches patterned like the sweater (which she previously knit as UGLY and ill-colored as possible) to demonstrate how dyes will make the colors harmonious and beautiful. She uses a number or different dyes and they all produce beautiful results.
The sweaters are gorgeous! Some are garter stitch, some are slip stitch, and some are stitched after knitting, with patterns,like carpets or geometric patterns. The patterns are classic and timeless. I can't wait to knit these sweaters.
on 4 April 1999
I would have bought this book on the strength of the customer reviews so far alone, but thought I'd look at it first. I'm glad I did. Unlike the rapturous reader who says s/he'd knit any sweater in the book, I didn't find anything I'd knit. First off, Melville favors techniques that don't look knitted. She likes slip stitch color knitting, woven stitch (a/k/a linen stitch), and a technique for knitting a piece and then using that knitting as a warp for weaving in colors of yarn with a darning needles. The many assurances of how FAST this really is to do make me suspicious--I prefer to knit, not weave with a darning needle. An interesting technique, but it nor any of the others (also a lot of garter stitch) are looks I'm after. I would really appreciate a book on using odd balls--but also work on accepting the fact that the pattern/yarn/dye lot event is a rare thing indeed, and all those extra balls of yarn come in handy for color work, darning, strips in small projects...but it will never all be used up!
on 3 September 1999
This book is lovely, presented in a way that makes me want to read it again and again. Because I normally plan my own designs, I found no patterns that I wanted to knit in this book. However, I found Sally Melville's concept for using leftover yarn inspiring. I have long been unable to throw away my leftovers and have organized my stash similarly to Sally's suggestions. I have found my own way of interpreting the information in this book and will certainly use some of the stitch and color suggestions. This book is a great addition to my library.
on 7 January 1999
I ordered this on a whim knowing nothing about Sally Melville but since XRX published it I thought it would be good. Its exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. The sweaters are just fantastic. I can't decide which one to make first. The ideas on design and color work are great. Sally has done an excellent job. This book is great for handspinners too. We all have all sorts of leftovers, what a way to incorporate all of it. I recommend this to any knitter, its wonderful.
on 30 November 1998
This is a very exciting book! It is the only knitting book that I own that I would like to knit each and every sweater/vest shown. I have never taken a class from Sally Melville, but she has presented her designs in a very clear and understandable way. This book is a must have for any knitters library.
on 30 March 1999
It's the first book in ages that I want to make every design that's in it! I was mesmerized for a couple of hours on my first look through. Now I want to read every page, even the designs! Great job Sally!!
on 20 October 2002
I am a lousy knitter but with this book I have started to experiment with different yarns and have produced wearable things even my 15 year old daughter likes them! Roo