on 4 January 2006
Another great book from this talented author, i also have..'when something terrible happens..'*though have found both boks have similar pages*.
Each of the, carefuly thought out, pages are perfect for photocopying and using with children to help them to express their thoughts and feelings. Pages can be easily adapted to cover a range of issues. I primarily use it for helping children with their grief but also helps with seperation, loss and feelings work. A must have for all professionals or parent's/carer's could use with their children and allow them to fill in the pages as a special keepsake book.
on 29 August 2001
I have found that this book provides a comprehensive and therapeutic tool for professionals working with bereaved children. It allows the child to explore general concepts of life and death and also to draw apon their own experiences of the death of someone they knew, in the guise of statements and worksheets for the child to write or draw their feelings on, with the counsellor acting as a facilitator. In my opinion it would be probably more geared at those who are experienced with childhood bereavment counselling as the contents of the book open up numerous issues and questions for the child which in turn will need further discussion, exploration and support.
on 24 August 2006
This is a lovely book where children can express how they are feeling regarding a bereavement. It gives them a sense of importance to be able to write & draw in a book which they can keep. My only gripe is that it is in black & white, I think it would be a bit more child friendly if it were in colour, but a very helpful book for helping deal with the death of someone important.
on 3 August 2013
I bought this fir my seven year old who witnessed her grandad having a heart attack. She loves to draw but sometimes finds it difficult to express her emotions clearly. Drawing how she felt was a great way for her to let me know how she was feeling, she has do e a few page sand we said we would come back to it in a little while. Something to pick up and put down when needed.
on 22 August 2011
This book is good for working with bereaved children and can be dipped into or worked though from start to finish. Some of the crafts are 'iffy'and there is some repetition in the questions. 9/10 years olds will be ok with it, though 6/7 years old better. It presumes that the child can read, but I have used it with non-readers.
on 24 December 2011
I used this book with my 7yr and 11yr old after their Godmother took her own life at the age of 26. They both found it really helpful and I found the structure of the book helped me to talk to them as well. It gave them the opportunity to say what they felt, realise that their feelings were common in people facing this bad situation and gave them a framework in which to describe their fears and anger. I certainly feel that there were concerns they had that I wouldn't have known about if we hadn't worked through this book together.
on 6 June 2011
As a bereavement support worker I highly recommend this book as a tool for children to work through grief following the loss of a family member, friend or pet. Often a child cannot verbalise their feelings and this book is excellent in encouraging thoughts and feelings to be expressed and understood. Younger children would need help with the reading parts. I first got it for my 6 year old grandchild who has started to grieve for her beloved pet dog that died when she was 4.
on 17 March 2013
This book was recommended to me by a clinical psychologist. Excellent resource to support children dealing with bereavement. Practical drawing and colouring activities are really helpful.
on 8 March 2013
Chose this book s I work with the under 16's grieveing loss of a parent, they enjoy the activities and learning that every grieves differently and that is ok
on 23 February 2014
this book also helped us explain to my niece and made her feel better after the loss of her mother she is only 6 years of age .