Along with the author's Jazz Theory Book, I'd consider this (which preceeded the Jazz Theory Book by a few years) absolutely essential reading. Especially so if you are a beginner/intermediate pianist who is struggling to do some self-taught learning. That's how I learnt - and this book helped me to find the answer to virtually everything I wanted to know...
Published on 16 Dec 2008 by Danny C

3.0 out of 5 stars Levine's Jazz Piano Book
This book has some interesting approaches to learning jazz piano and should improve any pianists appreciation of jazz harmony.It is quite a heavy read as he builds jazz chords up around the dominant chord and all its attendant colours such as the upper partials of 9th, 11th, and 13th very early on.
He sounds as he is quite an accompomplished jazz pianist and for mere...
Published on 19 Oct 2010 by Mr. John B. Stephens

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for anyone interested in playing Jazz Piano, 16 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Jazz Piano Book (Spiral-bound)

Don't get me wrong though - this book isn't for beginners. Levine assumes you can read music and already possess a technique that is functional, if not amazing. The book covers beginning II-V-I's and basic shell voicings, then moves on to cover areas such as scale theory, block chords, advanced voicings (slash chords, upper-structures, quartals etc), latin jazz etc. What makes this book so special - like his Jazz Theory Book - is that the author brings the theory alive with fully referenced recommended listenings. It was clearly a labour of love for him.

Despite getting on for being 10 years old (and having a bizarre front cover) if you only bought one book to learn about playing jazz piano, this is undoubtedly it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Levine's Jazz Piano Book, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Jazz Piano Book (Spiral-bound)
He sounds as he is quite an accompomplished jazz pianist and for mere mortals like myself it is necessary to invent exercises that take on each new conception he puts forward.I have only managed to conquer the early stages of his introduction to jazz harmony and at present coming to terms with the use of modes and modal harmony.The book is no worse than any other book on jazz and the fact that I am still ploughing through it proves there is much to learn and it is worth the trawl.
It would probably be more informative to give an appreciation of the book in a year's time.
Jazz piano is not for the faint hearted, it is a long term study full of practical suggestions that have to be worked through to give an honest assessment of the manual.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Instructional Book., 2 Jun 2013
Keith R. Finch (Folkestone, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jazz Piano Book (Spiral-bound)
This is a REALLY good book and does get pretty technical. It is however, a book to use for years to come as a very handy reference book. I am glad I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the purchase., 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Jazz Piano Book (Spiral-bound)
This is an excellent product, Worth buying, especially for people with a classically trained background. This book gives you a large amount of information to progress in the Jazz world, This book from this day on will be my mother, father and referencing guide, number one rule is to work through this book slowly making sure you grab each concept and apply it until the technique soaks into your muscle memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Jazz Piano Book (Spiral-bound)
I have never been able to put a finger on jazz, and have used several books but they have not been useful. This book debunked it all and frame it in a way I could understand and apply to my playing, immediately! Brilliant work!

5.0 out of 5 stars the jazz piano book, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Jazz Piano Book (Spiral-bound)
Great book. Everything is explained in plain easy to understand language. I wouldHighly recommend this to anyone starting out in jazz

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally first class..., 7 Jun 2013
Amazon Customer (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I browse the reviews I often wonder if there is something special that the reviewers possess when using books like this. Have they already a wealth of background without which the book makes no sense?

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book not only spells it out for you but also cements together some of the things that I had been hearing on my favourite jazz tracks. Don't get me wrong, this book is probably not suited to the beginner unless they are totally hungry for it and are already transcribing solos and trying out some of the chord changes they hear. However, I will say, as one who is not the sharpest tool in the box, this is the best twelve quid I've shelved out for a long time!

The Jazz Piano Book
The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine (Spiral-bound - 1 Jan 1989)
Used & New from: 19.37