on 17 April 1999
Breast Cancer? Breast Health! The Wise Woman Way by Susun Weed is a significant contribution to the state of women's health. She has woven statistics, research results, myths and facts into a fabric that is warm and inviting. Her style of injecting motherly and grandmotherly wisdom while sharing facts is very effective. She certainly helped me to accept that breast health is important and more than correct brassiere fitting. I received the book from a friend a few days after I had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I curled up with the book and read for hours, absorbing the spiritual soothing of the letters from the "grandmothers". I was challenged to rethink what I had already experienced and where I should step next. For instance had I read Weed's book prior to the diagnostic tests, I would not have submitted to a mammogram, clearly less than six months after a previous one. I would have requested an ultrasound, since the fact of the lump had already been established. The book encouraged me to slow down and think about optons and my direction. It made me know that I was not foolish in thinking that I could choose a way that would enhance my natural healing capacities rather than compromise them. It has been invaluable as a resource during my journey.The cancer-free lifestyle outline was formidable and empowering. The levels and types of breast cancer that Weed explained equipped me to understand pathology reports and information given in consultations with surgeons and oncologists. I realized gaps in nutritional information, since I was not aware of the many cancer-fighting foods and enzymes. The book encouraged me to reassess my eating habits and to become more serious about my diet. Weed also very ably handles the existing options for women diagnosed with breast cancer. Although she is very clearly a proponent of holistic approaches to healing, she makes the women who would choose the conventional approaches know that their decisions are personal and to be respected. There is no intense politicizing of the issues such that women will feel ashamed or less than courageous if they select the usually recommended course of treatment. She is an advocate for wise behavior on the part of women. Weed has achieved an important goal by writing a book that is womanish, informative, challenging and timely. I agree with her concern that in the next century people will look back and consider our conventional way of treating breast cancer to be barbaric.
on 1 January 1999
Every woman should read this book, most definitely so if you have cancer. The positive and very well researched suggestions for a healthy lifestyle by a very experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate herbalist will improve the quality of anyone's life and health. Many are easy to incorporate, even pleasurable. There is something here for everyone, and if you do have cancer, there is no better place you could turn. The recommended reading list is excellent. The ideas presented will strengthen you, soothe you, help you withstand the effects of chemotherapy and strengthen your immune system to help your own body fight the cancer. No dangerous remedies here. All very safe and gentle (with appropriate warnings and toxicities mentioned in the few cases where appropriate). Very effective ideas. Any of us can benefit by strengthening our immune systems and by avoiding toxic substances.
on 13 June 1998
Breast Cancer, Breast Health presents a wealth of carefully researched information of use to women of all walks of life whether or not they have diagnosed cancer, and even if they don't usually use herbals. Weed's suggestions and enlightenment range from prevention via simple anti-stress techniques, joy, dietary and other lifestyle changes on up to information about traditional medical treatments. The style is warm, open, and at the same time knowledgeable. The book is arranged so you can read it from cover to cover, use it as a reference book, or simply browse through it. The one page anti-cancer lifestyle in the front is a good summary and demonstrates the author's broadly inclusive wholistic approach.
on 22 July 2013
the information in this book in essential for everyone. We all know someone who has been affected by cancer, Susun Weed is sound on the science and gives common sense advice on how to lower our risk of being growing cancer cells. this book is full of advice on breast health and helping anyone who has a diagnosis of cancer. I can not rate this book more highly. I think everyone should read it.
on 19 March 2015
Very informative. Good read. Condition of book as described. Very happy with purchase.
on 5 May 2016
I have a couple of Susun Weeds books and this one did not disappoint. It is really well written and full of great advice and natural remedies. A great read and antidote to modern medical approaches.