Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 1997
Art & Fear is an easy book to rave about, but it is a particularly difficult book to write about. The authors have chosen their words so well, that it seems as if there ARE no other words with which to talk about this subject or this book. I'll try anyway, fully knowing that whatever I might say surely will not please me as much as what I have read in their pages. And this is part of the message of Art & Fear, one of the lessons to be learned - just do it and learn from it.

Art & Fear is an unpretentious little paperback, written by two lifelong friends who have been artists, as well as other things, for most of their lives. Both of them have their feet firmly rooted in the real world that we all live in (however high their ideas and ideals might fly), and both of them have keen insights into what enables individuals to produce good art and to continue to produce good art, and what stumbling blocks stop many individuals. These insights are of value to artists in any medium whatsoever, and are in fact likely to be of significant value to many individuals who don't think of themselves as artists at all. One doesn't need to be an artist to be struggling with goals that seem beyond your reach and a lack of appreciation from others; it's just a little more pervasive in the artmaking world.

Reading this book is like sitting down with the authors for a long and lively conversation. You'll learn something of them, and something of yourself, and good things are sure to come from it. I've actually found it too good to keep to myself - I'm on my 6th copy now, as I keep giving them away to friends!
on 17 August 1998
This book address the fears that are common to all artists, most specifically why am I not doing my work? It is succint and well written. It is enlightening and comforting while addressing the problems many artists face. It's one of those books you will keep around and refer to again and again for inspiration. 117 pages of great therapy and the right price.
on 25 August 1999
This book is now a must for all of my art majors. It underscores the messages I give daily on staying focused on internal issues (the process and being honest with oneself)and to not be led astray by external pressures (end product and audience reactions)for justifying the work and defining the self. For those who need to get on track, this is the book for you!
on 12 April 2010
No matter what your art discipline, this book is a must for anyone who has ever wondered why they are bothering. This is my second copy, so I have one to lend out. It's always uplifting when reading a book where the author/s have been in the same place you find yourself - again.
on 2 August 1998
With pearls of wisdom gleaned from the writings of such as Conrad and Hippocrates, the authors offer artists (and would-be artists) advice and encouragement to follow a calling that is too frequently thought to be more appropriately a hobby. Though the reader addressed is one who aspires to art as a profession, much of what Bayles and Orland offer is as applicable to any undertaking: "Artmaking involves skills that can be learned. ... Even talent is rarely distinguishable, over the long run, from perseverance and lots of hard work." Liberal doses of unpleasant reality are well balanced with insight and reassurance. The sort of little book that one might keep about for an occasional dose of comfort and motivation.
on 12 January 2001
An ability to convey the vast majority of conscious and subconscious artistic thoughts in such a concise way is to be marvelled at, a truly great book NOT to be judged by it's cover (which isn't very good) I am a better more focused less idealistic person for reading this little paperback.
on 24 August 1998
One of the few truly excellent books on the process of making art. My other favorite is a book called "The Blank Canvas." I plan to return to both books regularly throughout my career as an artist.
on 15 December 1998
Authors Daivd Bayles and Ted Orland explain what an artist goes through when creating their art pieces. It answers some questions that I had when creating a work of art. In a nutshell, they explained that you sould create your art work and try not to let, certian members, of the real world get to you.
on 27 May 2010
This is a great book, and one that is easy to dip in and out of. I really enjoyed it and found it easy to relate to. It certainly helped me to realise that I was not alone in "the fear" and I actually found that it helped me to overcome a lot of the blocks that stood between me and my creativity. Not a "how-to" but certainly worth a read. It is upbeat and positive without being sugary like a lot of similar books. I think most artists will be able to identify themselves between its pages!
on 28 May 1999
This book changed my life. Every art enthusiast, student, teacher, closet artist, and working artist can stand to benefit from the information contained within this book. It is a must read for anyone who wonders about the artmaking process and the fears that go along with it.