Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 April 2009
As a self-taught artist who is often paralysed by terror while painting, I hoped this book would provide practical guidance for knuckling down to work. Well, it does briefly summarise some common fears and obstacles that artists face. But about two-thirds of it is pretentious psychobabble about the relationship between the artist and his/her materials, and about how this-or-that process or form of engagement is the only method of creating 'true art'. I didn't want a lecture on how to make 'true art' - I wanted non-judgmental, practical motivation to help me to get on with the art that I actually make, irrespective of the authors' validation. But this book is so full of the authors' own views about what art is, and how provocative and forward-thinking it ought to be (my art is not at all provocative, for a start), that it just creates even more standards to live up to. In addition, I found the dense and waffling tone unpleasantly hard to decipher. I might keep this on the shelf for another glance or two, but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations.
44 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2014
There isn't much to say about this book except that it is amazing. A must read for any and all artists (in any field), including - especially - people who don't quite consider themselves to be artists yet. Extremely well written and completely spot on. It really knows its audience.
on 7 January 2016
This is a very comprehensive account of what gets in the way of making art. I bouht the audio with it which is extremely well done and, for me anyway, added a great deal to it (I prefer to listen rather than read). It's got some real insight and clarity and is definitely worth a look if you either feel inhibited for whatever reason or wnat to help others with their artistic inhibitions.
on 25 July 2014
Oh, my God! This little book is a goldmine!!! I wish I had known about it years ago, it's simple wisdom in bite-sized bits for the artist within! Many thanks to the authors for this book that is more a tool to manage fears and doubts along the creative path!
on 28 August 2014
If you are just post-beginner this little book gives enormous help and encouragement to do *your* work. It does not coach you - just provide excellent food for thought. I have read it 3 times - each time more slowly as I absorb the ideas...
on 1 May 2013
A fantastic book to read post-Arts degree. The authors write plainly and tackle many problems that artists face when working as a solitary practitioner. A must read. Buy it.
on 19 June 2015
A very interesting book and one that will be picked up many times in the future to read a chapter or two. The subject matter is current to all struggling artists.
on 4 December 2013
For those who find getting started and sustaining their creativity this is wonderfully motivating book.
Read mark and inwardly digest.
on 2 January 2014
this book was a long time in the writing and it shows - I've already lent it to a friend who is an artist struggling with creative block.
on 17 July 2014
I found this to be a very useful to confront some of my fears that arise from my creativity. I would recommend this to any new artist.