5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to wheelbuilding. Essential!, 9 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
Clear, concise and straightforward to follow, the book gives invaluable information on the art of wheelbuilding. The science is covered in detail, but the most valuable section of the book is the build instructions.
I have used this book to build wheels for five bikes and achieved great results.
Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you could want to know, 8 April 2009
Martin A (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book - a masterpiece of clear writing and a delight to read.

If you have ideas of inventing a new way of spoking a wheel that has never been done before, the author suggests not bothering, as it will already have been tried by someone. Instead, he suggests letting your contribution be in building wheels of excellent quality.

Since buying my first copy of the book (later replaced after I lost the first copy), I have built maybe six wheels by following the instructions. They varied from a front wheel for an old Moulton bike with a front hub brake (with spokes only a few inches long) to 27-inch wheels for a vintage Carlton racer. In every case, I simply followed the step-by-step instructions - result, a perfect wheel, every time.

For anyone wanting to build bicycle wheels, or who simply wants to understand how they work, I recommend Jobst Brandt's book without reservation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Technical to the point of being dry, 20 July 2004
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
Whereas Jobst Brandt will never win any awards for popular fiction, his engineering knowledge is hard to fault. All the scientific and engineering background behind wheels and their applications is explained clearly and concisely, giving any would-be wheelbuilder all the grounding they need. Brandt is somewhat dismissive of lightweight wheels and only skims over nonstandard spoking patterns, deep-section rims and other technological advancements in favour of teaching the basic principles - which is not necessarily a bad thing.
This book is aptly nicknamed "the Bible" amongst wheelbuilders - everything you need to know on your chosen subject, just not necessarily something you'd read all at one go.

4.0 out of 5 stars the bycycle wheel, 18 Oct 2010
M. Cummings (Sunbury on Thames) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a base line for my forthcoming course on wheel building.
I have a general grounding in vehicle engineering,technical drawing etc.and found the book easy to read. it was finished quicker than I wanted it to be.
It has gone along way to de mystify the black art of the wheel smith at my local shop.
I have some old wheels in the garage that I will disassemble and re build,(well try) using the book as a guide.
I don't expect world class wheels, but at least it has given me the idea on how to begin trying.

I thought the book was expensive, but then I suppose you are buying the knowledge inside.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bicycle wheels!, 16 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
I wanted to try making bicycle wheels. I thought I should gain some understanding of them first. This book is divided into two main sections. The first on theory, which is interesting and makes you realised that some assumptions most people would have on bicycle wheels are wrong. It also puts you in a better position when thinking about which components to use. The second section is on building wheels which is again informative. Overall a good book and an interesting read (if you are into that kind of thing!). It did not take long to read the whole thing, so not as dry as such a book could have been. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apliance of Science, 27 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
Quite simply the bible for anyone who intends to build their own spoked wheels. A lot of the theory is applicable to all spoked wheels and I used this as a basis for rebuilding several motorcycle wheels - far cheaper and more satisfying than paying Honda two hundred pounds for a new one!

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest instructional book I have ever read., 27 Feb 2010
C. M. Stanton (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
I read this book 25 years ago when I was 13. Despite not being the brightest candle on the cake at 13, within hours of reading this book, I was successfully building wheels to perfection. Jobst Brandt's ability to explain in a thorough, yet easy to understand way how to build accurately centred and aligned wheels is nothing short of genius. I was never a great achiever in maths at school, or any other subject for that matter, but I used what I had learned in this book for a maths project, which not only got an A+, but was also used by my maths teacher as an example to teach the rest of the class. This book should not only be read by those wishing to learn the art of wheel building, but should also be read by anyone looking to write any kind of instructional book, as it really sets the standard as to how it should be done. BRILLIANT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
Teeming with wisdom and accompanied by diagrams, I used it to help me build my first wheel without supervision and it came out safe and true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book - The Bicycle Wheel, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
Excellent manual for the wheel builder, or even for those just interested. The author is an engineer and gives engineering and mathematical explanations for how the spoked wheel works and how best to build one. Don't be frightened by the maths and engineering as it's not necessary to follow those in detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheely good, 13 July 2012
This review is from: The Bicycle Wheel (Hardcover)
Most of this book is devoted to helping the reader understand the stresses a bicycle wheel is under during use. The actual wheel building section covers all the little details you need to build a strong wheel, and choosing the right components. For a complete beginer like me i would have to read parts of the book again whilst having all the components in front of me, but the book is easy to get on with. I would recomend this book to anyone contemplating building their own wheels.

The Bicycle Wheel
The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt (Hardcover - Dec 1993)
Used & New from: 14.43