5.0 out of 5 stars Know thyself.. and thereby know the world..
Published on 5 Jan 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Very general
Okay as an introduction/overview of each of the four temperaments although not as useful and comprehensive as the sequel, but then that's probably why it was written. I would advise to just buy the second book as it goes into much more detail with each personality type.
Published on 26 July 2010 by M. Wong

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Know thyself.. and thereby know the world.., 5 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types (Paperback)
I ran into Keirsey accidentally last year, having over the years read much of Freud and Jung. There are both limitations and useful applications to Kiersey's development of 16 'standard' personality types. The compilation is clearly a result of widescale sampling and extrapolation based on Jung's development of 'components' of personality set out in his 'General Classification of Personality Types'. The result is a highly practical guide to looking at 'types' of personalities in relation to societal norms, how they interrelate to society as a whole, what interests them vocationally and avocationally; and how they view love, responsibility and destiny. One should take out of it a sence of equilibrium of personality both at a personal and the societal level. It is a very valuable tequnique of seeing yourself in relation to others and in understanding other's motivations. This book does not convey the deep introspection and intuition of the writings of the fathers of psychological categorization and the psyche's construction, which should be read by those interested the subject, but it is an excellent way to look at one aspect of yourself and the world around you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great expansion of MBTI, 30 July 1999
By A Customer
I first read this book after I had already familiarized myself with Isabel Briggs Myers' work. The constructs that Keirsey invented -- most notably, the temperament groups SP, NF, NT and SJ -- are a very helpful expansion of the MBTI theoretical base. I believe Keirsey's portrait of an ISTP is the finest summary I have ever read for that type. It fits my brother to a "T". I identify most strongly with the ISFP, and Keirsey's characterization of that type is surely the most flattering ever penned. Though some will not agree with Keirsey's speculations about the temperaments of long-dead historical figures, there is much to admire about this volume. I did feel that the book is quite verbose, and needed stronger editing, but this complaint didn't detract from my enjoyment of Please Understand Me. This book will help you figure out so many people in your life. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Over whelming sense of comfort, 26 Sep 1998
By A Customer
When I took the temperment test, then read what the initials meant, I could not believe the over whelming sense of comfort I found.
Most of my life, I felt like the swan in the duck's home. I knew no one who seemed to know what I was "feeling." My personality type is one the smaller percentages in the human world; therefore, I finally found out I'm not "strange" or "crazy" as people who loved me often verbalized even in jest.
A must reading for any one who is a misfit in today's work world, or problems with marraige, or raising children. As a Pediatric nurse, I have often recommended parents reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and amazingly accurate, 13 May 1998
By A Customer
I'm a sucker for "personality type" quizzes, but this is a winner. The test went quickly, and was so astonishingly accurate about me that I found myself reading everything else I could get my hands on about the Myers-Briggs theory of personality types. Later I took the full test and had it interpreted by a qualified professional -- and the results were exactly what I discovered from the self-test in this book. The Myers-Briggs is a great tool for understanding yourself and others, and, on the basis of my experience and my reading, I'd recommend this book as the best place to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable resource, 30 Dec 1996
By A Customer
This book helps the reader understand why people behave the
way they do. It uses the Myers-Briggs type indicator to
define sixteen different personality types. It describes,
in detail, the sixteen different types. The reader may
take the test at the beginning of the book to discover his
or her own type. A person can be either an extrovert (E)
or an introvert (I), intuitive (N) or sensing (S), thinking
(T) or feeling (F), and judging (J) or perceiving (P). The
book emphasizes that no personality type is better than
another. This book suggests good professions for each type
of personality and tips for dealing with people of different
types.

5.0 out of 5 stars If Self-Help Books Are Tools, This Book Is a Hardware Store, 7 Oct 1997
By A Customer
There are a lot of self-help books out there, all of which promise to give you the tools you need to maintain and improve the quality of your life. _Please Understand Me_ delivers on that promise.<BR> This book has two separate, but related, virtues. First, it contains some of the best descriptions ever written of the sixteen types defined in the Myers-Briggs personality model. Unlike astrological descriptions, which tend to offer useless generalities ("Today you will breathe air!"), Keirsey's portraits of the sixteen types are written clearly and specifically, allowing readers to recognize their individual types as distinct from others and thus leading to real self-understanding. This section alone makes _Please Understand Me_ worth its cover price, but the truly unique aspect of this book is its description of Keirsey's theory of temperaments.<BR> According to Keirsey, the sixteen types can be further grouped into four temperaments: the NF "Idealist" (consisting

5.0 out of 5 stars surprisingly accurate, 3 May 2000
C. Vickers (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I am using this book as the basis for a personality experiment for my dissertation. So far, EVERYONE who has taken the questionnaire has been amazed at how accurately the personality descriptions have fitted them. I know there must be more than 16 different types of people in the world, some may argue that it oversimplifies the issue, but I feel it has provided the people I tested with useful insights about their character, which might help them to understand their behaviour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to the MBTI - at home and at work, 30 Jun 1999
By A Customer
Kiersey & Bates cover an enormous amount of ground - looking at Type application at work, with partners and with children. It does not seek to give black and white answers. Rather, it offers help to think about our own situations. The only word of caution for non-US readers is to remember that it is written in US English and accept some of the examples as coming from that culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enables us to understand ourselves and others more clearly., 28 May 1999
By A Customer
Helps us know how we are alike and why we differ from others. Encourages us to see the light through another's eyes. An awareness of our own unique talents enables us to develop and guides us to areas not considered before.Why waste talent? Find out what type of work, play and life suits best. Outside influences may invite us to stray from our own true nature. Honor differences but celebrate uniqueness too. Signed by an ISFP looking to develop hidden artistic abilities!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must read" for helping people identify themselves., 26 April 1999
By A Customer
I am a Christian pastor, and have been using this inventory for 13 years in pre-marriage counseling. It is a valuable tool for helping couples understand themselves and each other in a lighter way. It should not, however, be viewed as a substitute for Myers-Briggs testing, or as a psychological scorecard, but rather, as a starting point for dialogue and greater understanding between two people intending to live together for the rest of their lives.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types
Please Understand Me: Character and Temperament Types by Marilyn Bates (Paperback - Dec 1984)
8.96