5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air!
Although not a thriller in the usual sense, I found it as gripping as one and didn't want to put it down! Interesting subject matter and a very welcome change from the usual topics books are written around. Thoroughly recommend it. A great read.
Published 20 months ago by JH

2.0 out of 5 stars Explained to death
I bought this book on a recommendation from an acquaintance.
While the subject matter was of interest initially the author soon got bogged down in detailed explanation, which became quite tedious after a while.
Published 14 months ago by Albatross

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air!, 9 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I found myself totally immersed in the Victorian story, at the same time eager to uncover the truth behind the Wedding Certificate. It's a fascinating plot, with lives and events being revealed in a simple narrative style which I felt made it all the more realistic and emotional. I was impressed by the amount of research which must have gone into the book and how the author has managed to mix historical fact, human emotion and modern genealogical techniques into one brilliant story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 30 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book. As a keen amateur genealogist myself, I could really relate to how addicted Peter became with trying to solve the mysteries he was uncovering as the result of buying an old marriage certificate that had caught his eye on an antique stall. The story was very well-written, and the characters believable, and I was gripped from start to finish! I hope the author will write some more novels on this sort of subject. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid And Informative Read, 26 July 2013
This book was engaging both due to the family history that forms the story's core, and the genealogical methods used to discover that history. Whilst the family may itself be fictional, the author writes of its members with such authority and knowledge of his subject that it is easy to see this as almost a universal tale of ancestry.
Although I feel that the plot drags a little towards the middle, it quickly picks up pace again and leads to an interesting finale.
A great deal of research has clearly been done, particularly with regards to dates and the nature of the Boer and First World wars. The writing style suits the content insofar as it is straightforward and designed to further the plot, rather than lingering for too long on descriptive detail.
It is a book well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 10 Nov. 2013
robyn "robyn" (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
Great to see some genealogy fiction/mystery books out there.
I loved "The Marriage Certificate" and could well relate to Peter Sefton each time the postman arrived bring envelopes containing birth, death or marriage certificates.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, loved the suspense and the surprise at the VERY end was something I'd contemplated while
reading the book but had forgotten when I got more and more involved with the story.
Only problem is that there is, so far, not another book by Stephen Molyneux to read. I hope "The Marriage Certificate" is the first in a series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 18 Jun. 2013
A good family story with intrigue and suspense making it difficult to put down, My bedtime read extended to the early hours!

2.0 out of 5 stars Explained to death, 13 Nov. 2013
Albatross (Basingstoke,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marriage Certificate (Paperback)
I bought this book on a recommendation from an acquaintance.
I found an error in this detail which then had me wondering exactly what else might be incorrect and in the end I gave up caring about the characters and the outcome. I persevered until the end but even the last minute "beat the clock" scramble left me cold.
On the whole this was an interesting plot idea that was suffocated by too much minutiae and poor execution.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Genealogical Trail, 7 Dec. 2014
Caroline Richardson "Carol" (Derby UK) - See all my reviews
As a genealogist, I enjoyed the story that evolved through research into the single marriage document. It was a first venture into this sort of story for me but it was sufficiently interesting to give me ideas for my (not for publication) offering on my own research. The story had enough twists and turns to be plausible and it held my attention to the end. Maybe not the best written book ever but certainly not the worst. Give it a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars compulsive reading, 18 April 2014
Had a job to put this book down once started.. A simple start to a story which held you in anticipation of the next finding..How many of us often think about an old certificate but never know the background. Hope he writes another book

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing amateur sleuth., 17 April 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book with its mix of family storyline and factual information about genealogy. The fact that an amateur researcher could actually outwit the professional heirhunters only added to my interest. Would thoroughly recommend this book.

The Marriage Certificate
The Marriage Certificate by Stephen Molyneux (Paperback - 24 Jun. 2013)