Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2013
There are many books that talk about the Scrum process and the roles of the Scrum Master, but rarely do you see a book that explains what is really involved and gives clues how to do it. Geoff's book covers the gamut of skills and situations that a Scrum Master needs to work with and in. I particularly like the theme through the book of, "A good Scrum Master.... A great Scrum Master ....".

While this isn't a how-to step by step instruction manual, it does highlight ways situations can be dealt with and even for someone who has been in the industry for some time, I found tools and techniques I'd not come across before or knew little about. Even topics that I have heard about before, it was refreshing to have time to revisit them and re-evaluate my thoughts on them.

Geoff writes in a very comfortable style and I personally found this an easy read. It was particularly useful that when referring to process or research he provides the references to them to allow you to do further investigation, without burdening the pages full of the detail in the book itself. He often demonstrates his points through a storytelling/fable approach (similar to The Five Dysfunctions of a Team) and then critiques what happened and why it was good or bad.

For Scrum Masters new and old, this should be requisite reading.
on 11 December 2013
Geoff's wide range of experience and wealth of knowledge really comes through in this book. I found it not just easy to read, but as enjoyable as a good novel. He uses narrative to explain his coaching experiences with different teams which allows the reader to visualise situations, most of which every ScrumMaster has had to deal with at some point in time! The average Scrum Master thinks they are above average. I would like to think that any humble Scrum Master will read this book, and maybe unleash the full potential of their Scrum team.
on 20 January 2015
If you are an agile coach there are so far two 'must have' books on coaching teams. Lyssa Adkin's 'Coaching Agile Teams' and 'Scrum Mastery' by Geoff Watts. The advice given is both excellent and its delivered using narratives which make retaining the information and ideas much easier. There is clear a breadth and depth of experience here which makes this useful for feels like a full spectrum of encounters you would have with a team. So far a have read it cover to cover once, but I have also jump in at certain chapters repeatedly depending on the challenges I was facing at the time. The one thing this book probably does better than any other book I am aware of though is full explain the role of a coach in a team setting. Scrum Master as a role is greatly misunderstood and this book is the one reference I would point to that effectively demystifies. I would therefore equally recommend it to those people higher up in companies who have yet to understand or appreciate the effect of having good coaching in their organisations.
on 23 July 2013
Geoff's considerable experience in the role of Scrum Master is shared in an easy to read style. I found it an enlightening and inspiring experience to read.

Not only was the book enjoyable to read through, I'm certain that it will also serve as an inspiring reference book. Since I bought the Kindle edition, I'll have it with me most places I go.

Many Scrum Masters perform adequately but don't strive for excellence. While it is not always easy to do so, Geoff suggests ways in which this can be achieved in the spirit of the Agile Manifesto, Agile Principles and Scrum Values.

Distinctions are made throughout the book between how *good* compared with *great* Scrum Masters might behave. I recognised myself as a *good* Scrum Master in many cases, I would like to recognise myself more as a *great* Scrum Master. Scrum Mastery book provides inspiration towards achieving that goal.
on 2 March 2014
Geoff Watts really knows his stuff and shares it using real world examples. The author's style is easy going and so it never gets heavy going.

I have read other scrum master related books and have learnt a little from each (and disagreed with a lot) but never before given anything 5/5.

I cannot recommend this highly enough.
on 14 July 2014
This book is a must read for anyone trying to perform the role of scrum master. Hugely valuable insights, examples and best of all the repeated references to what a 'great' scrum master would do is inspirational. I think I'll be using this as a reference for years to come and have already recommended it to all the scrum masters in my company!
on 17 June 2013
ScrumMastery clearly shows how to overcome common ScrumMaster challenges, and to develop and grow as a ScrumMaster. It's practical, easily accessible, and demonstrates Geoff's extensive experience in coaching individuals and teams. If you work as a ScrumMaster or plan to do so, then get a copy now.
on 4 September 2013
Highly recommended book from a well respected person within the Agile communities.
Scrum Master tools and techniques given to help you along your agile journey
Defintely worth the purchase
on 12 June 2013
About time. This book was really easy to read and I surprised myself with how little I actually knew. It is succinct, crisp and clearly identifies the differences between being good and great at your job. I like the fact that it is full of real examples and I really sensed that the author cares about his work and what he is writing about. I urge all managers and directors to read this if they really want to get the best out of Scrum in their teams. A breath of fresh air. Thank you.
on 3 March 2014
This book has an intrinsic value that it's very hard to find, it helps you to reflect on how it's going on with your team and it helps you to find new way to deliver value and create a great team.
I read a lot of books on Scrum but this one is the first that allow me "inspect & adapt" myself as Scrum Master and give me the tools for the future.
Really a must read book after understand what is Scrum if you want increase your skills and coach a successful team!