Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 April 2013
For someone who has already plumbed the biographical details of Jane Austen, this book offers a refreshing new aspect. Tracing back along the maternal line, Victoria Huxley reveals the rich and interesting history of the Leigh family.

With the same delight one reads about Elizabeth Bennet being taken out of her relatively humble home situation for a tour of Derbyshire and being invited into Mr Darcy’s circle at Pemberley, one follows with elevated spirits Jane Austen’s visits to Adlestrop and Stoneleigh. Other biographers merely record these visits took place. This book has taken this little bit of Austen history so often passed by, opened it up and brought it vividly to life.

The influences of such visits have clearly contributed to many of the scenes, places, houses and landscapes Jane describes in her novels. Page after page there is a delicious sense of familiarity as one walks the same pathways Jane Austen must have trod. Victoria Huxley writes in a very readable and warm style, yet her research and the inferences she makes resonate with scholarly truth and integrity.

The work is a valuable addition to any collection of Austen biography. It has redressed an imbalance in my understanding of just how well connected Jane was, and of her intimate knowledge and experience of the higher echelons of society and wealth. It has also deepened my understanding of the values, issues and attitudes of the time.

As well as enjoying this book in its own right, it also promises to enhance my pleasure in re-reading Jane Austen’s novels. When I do, it will be with a fresh eye and deeper understanding, together with a more whole view of that great author’s life.
on 6 September 2013
This is an interesting addition to the 'Jane' lexicon and she gives a great deal of new information regarding the Leighs. My only quibble is her writing style: '...with a distant tower in the distance' !!! or 'her favourite sister, Cassandra' - she only had one sister!

But apart from that it is well worth reading.
on 16 June 2013
We were holidaying in the Cotswolds and I thought I would take a look at the places in the area known to Jane Austen. I have a particular interest in all things JA, and this little book looked likely to help me along. It is full of detailed information which is usually only briefly referred to in any biography, and I was amazed at how reading this book (and having it to hand while exploring locations) really put into focus how important were JA's visits to Adlestrop and its environs with regard to the creation of Mansfield Park in particular. This book is a little gem, well written and researched, with the curious ability to re-jig ones perspective of what may have influenced Jane Austen's creative genius!
on 8 December 2013
This is a very fine and absolutely fascinating addition to the Austen canon. Victoria Huxley provided a wealth of new information about Jane Austen's family connections to Adlestrop, already indelibly associated with another great literary figure Edward Thomas. Cleverly waving together extracts from the novels with the relevant letters by Austen, the author gives us a completely fresh and intriguing take on one of our greatest and most popular novelists. An excellent and highly readable book.
on 16 July 2013
Victoria writes extremely well, and covers her subject with details and analyses that are very enlightening about the subject. Also, it is important that she and her family have lived in Adlestrop for years, and that puts her in touch with it in such ways as to make the subject of her book exceptionally well covered. It is well worth five stars in my view.
on 30 May 2013
I was so curious to know more about the connections of Jane Austen from this side of her family, I'm still reading it, but I like the way of managing the infos and to trace the interconnected histories. Superfast delivery. Recommended if you are fond of JA and if you have already read a detailled biography.
on 11 April 2014
I liked the book on Adlestrop It was a part of Jane Austen's life which I was happy to read new information about
on 10 October 2015
Lovely book, great addition to my 'All things Jane Austen', thank you
on 28 May 2016
gave this to a friend
on 8 November 2013
My partner used to live in Adlestrop - she knows the author and knows the village very well and loved the book