on 31 December 2015
I've read a few adventure travelogues, & lets just say some authors are better to stick to travelling rather than writing.
This isn't one of them.
Tom has a way of drawing the armchair traveller along for the ride which I have yet to experience from any other.
My only criticism would be that it wasn't long enough.
on 10 June 2013
Tom Allen spends several years travelling by bike and writes a book about it - the story is honest, meaningful and interesting. I was unsure about buying the book, having already watched the film. However, I am glad that I did, as the book contains so much more and really adds an extra dimension to the whole story!
on 16 September 2013
Strangely captivating. Not so much of how to physically manage long distance cycling, more as how one man psychologicaly managed to cope and adapt to life altering choices and events on his chosen life on the open road. A brave book, a humbling book, a book to dwell upon. Buy it, read it, and read it again.
on 22 September 2013
Read this after having seen the movie by the same name. Obviously, that was a bit of a plot spoiler. However, that didn't detract with it giving real depth to the emotional and search-for-self side of the journey. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in travel, whether that be by cycle or other means.
on 19 April 2013
A great read, I found that I couldn't put it down once I started the book. A insight into the planning through to the highs and lows of the long distance cycle ride. Inspiring tales of the warmth and hospitality Tom received whilst cycling and the relationship with fellow cyclists.
on 2 February 2016
Dealing with a crucial juncture in a young adventurer's life, Janapar deals brilliantly with the subjects of reflection, love, bravery and naivety. Starting well and ending brilliantly, this is more than just a cycle touring book and more than just a regular love story. Read it.
on 28 March 2016
Honest and sincere. I came across whit the blog and started it while I was traveling too. The story was appealing to me in many ways. It inspired me to make a bicycle trip that I'm planning to start on June. Loved his vivid descriptions and how he captivate whit those images.
on 23 October 2014
Enjoyable viewing but it's cut in a strange order which I found difficult to follow at points. Considering the price (£12) it's also very short. In the extras they said they had 300 hours of footage. They could have added another 30 minutes and maybe made the plot clearer
on 14 March 2013
I enjoyed the read very much. It was an adventure that at times made me want to kick the author, not because of his writing but because of his stubbornness. Janapar made me even more excited about my own travels that are soon to begin, not by bike but by thumb and foot.
on 15 May 2015
Just finished this and it's great piece of travel writing. He captures his journey really well through the good times and the bad times that any real adventure has.

I read a lot of travel books and Tom writes really well. I was quite sad to finish the book.