5.0 out of 5 stars Watch the film, then read the book and understand much more...
Tom set off on an adventure with two mates from the Midlands and the possibly naive intention to mountain bike around the World rather than get a 'proper job'. What happened over the next 3 or 4 years was as much about self discovery as miles covered and places visited, and was far from what he had intended/envisioned.

I've followed Tom Allen's blog for the...
Published 20 months ago by UnInspired Ramblings

3.0 out of 5 stars Bicycle Warrior!
Enjoyed it. Started reading it in woods (camping) near Alexandra, New Zealand while cycle touring. Finished it in Wimborne, England!

Would have liked a few photos. But then, that's just me wanting a visualisation. Will get the movie.

Thanks.
Published 16 months ago by Nigel

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A strange book, but intimately enjoyable., 19 April 2013
D. Speck (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Janapar: Love, on a Bike (Paperback)
Firstly, I got this book because of my love of cycling and because I love reading.

Initially I was slightly disappointed with the book because it wasn't just about cycling, but cycling, life, love and a bit of everything else life has to offer.

I picked up the book again about a month later and read it again. I realised the problem wasn't with the book, but my preconcived ideas about it.

I read the book again with a better understanding of what the author was trying to achieve. It's a great book, well written, and Tom Allen takes you on a rollercoster of emotions. It made me smile, cry, sad and laugh.

You know when you get that rare, but horrible and sad feeling of nearing the end of a very good book, and never want it to end. I got it with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring - take to the road, 18 April 2013
Mr. R. Tabner "snax" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Janapar: Love, on a Bike (Paperback)
Browsing the web moons ago I found Tom's blog, and I was gripped. Possibly one of the best written blogs on cycling, life, love and travel you will find. Then he realised a film... it followed the same quality as his blog... so it was only natural that the book was even better... bringing the best of his writing, honed over the years of blog writing and combining it with the visual elements of the film to give the best book out there on Cycling and Love...

Janapar is a story of the love of cycling and travel which is turned on it's head when the cyclist falls in love... but its so much more than a love story, its an inspirational read for anyone who loves to travel, peddle or dream...

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely engrossing and inspirational tale, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Janapar: Love, on a Bike (Paperback)
Written with humour, honesty and a infectious sense of passion, Janapar was a delight to read. Having seen the film footage prior to reading the book I can only give me opinion from that stance, but felt that the book added real depth and new insight to areas where the film whet my appetite. I felt that this allowed me to gain a far greater appreciation of the lessons Tom learnt on his journey.

With its time scale transitions and swift, but not racing-past-the-details pacing, Janapar held my focus as a reader well. Tom's vivid portrayal of the characters met and places visited on his ride (and what great variety of them!) really helped me become absorbed into the tale.

Whether searching for a tale of adventure, travel, cycling or romance, Janapar is a book with wide appeal that rightly deserves attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, inspirational and unique, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Janapar: Love, on a Bike (Paperback)
Despite being an avid follower of Tom's blog [...] I didn't know quite what to expect from his book. I have read "world tour" travel writings before and found many struggle to capture the sense of place & inner thoughts and emotions, and consequently are either self-indulgent or a glorified tourist brochure.

I am thrilled to say not so for this book. I found it a fascinating and enlightening read, which covers varied topics and diverse landscapes and cultures. As a touring cyclist myself I found I could relate to Tom's world view and empathized with the journey he embarked on. I found the shift in world view he experienced along the way to be revealing and the structure of the book allowed a rare view on inner thoughts and feelings, despite his traveling alone for much of the trip.

I recommend (and do all the time in the real world!) this book to anyone interested in an honest, refreshing and page-turning window into the simple life of long-distance cycling. Non-cyclists will be converted and two-wheel aficionados will be reconfirmed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A different kind of tale, 18 April 2013
Stephen C. Proudman (Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Janapar: Love, on a Bike (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading Janapar as it is led my Tom's POV on this bicycling ambitions that get altered a bit when his heart becomes engaged. Great insight into his thinking behind the experiences. It's a fun read in the vein of travel adventures. Told with humor and perspective that invites the reading to go along for the ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the best book I have read in a few years., 1 April 2013
The book is an exceptionally well written tale that cleverly crosses back and forth across memorable parts of the authors life. The writing shows great personal insight into someone who clearly knows how to analyse his life, his surroundings, and his relationships. I purchased it because I cycle and like well written tales of travel, but this book is much more than that, any non-cyclist who likes a well written books will enjoy it just as much. Buy it. It's worth your time to read it. A good story that is very, very well penned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cycling into love, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Janapar: Love, on a Bike (Paperback)
What a wonderfully written story. I loved how the story switched between the desire to continue with the journey and the desire to go back with it all converging back to where it all started. I have read plenty of cycling adventure books and absolutely loved it and found it hard to put down. Was one of the the best.

I am now off to buy the film to see if the visual story I have in my head resembles reality.

Thanks Tom for all the pain and suffering you went through just writing the book let alone the journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Janapar: Love, on a Bike (Paperback)
In a rather saturated, often slightly tedious niche (long-books-about-long-bike-rides), Janapar stands out. It's theme is fresh and honest. Definitely worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars free spirit, 2 Aug 2014
denisj "jdj" (west yorkshire dales) - See all my reviews
I liked this book of Toms a great deal . I particularly liked his unconventional attitude . He seemed to live in the present moment most of the time instead of clock,map,destination,time watching. He clearly lived to a different agenda . It was a very honest account and not at all contrived. A true adventure that not many of us would be brave enough to endure. All journeys are inevitably inner journeys of the soul .

4.0 out of 5 stars what a story!, 1 Aug 2014
I'd watched and enjoyed the film,but reading the book makes the film a whole lot better,ties up some loose ends,answers some questions,explains a lot more.brutally honest,sometimes sad sometimes joyous but never dull.does skip about a bit,but that in my opinion makes it a better read than a series of diary entries and mileage logs.
Buy it and the film,enjoy,and plan a bike tour,I have!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Janapar: Love, on a Bike
Janapar: Love, on a Bike by Tom Allen (Paperback - 29 Jan 2013)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available