5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 15 months ago by M. G. H. Slater

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but for less experienced growers
This is a nicely presented, well organised book. The reviews I read gave the impression that this book was more comprehensive than I found it to be. I was hoping for more information on the pros and cons of specific varieties which this doesn't provide.
Published 8 months ago by SciFiBird

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 April 2013
M. G. H. Slater (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
This is an excellent book - very informative and easy to understand. Jason Nickels writing style is relaxed and a pleasure to read. His knowledge and advice is first class. I have visited his Chilli Farm in South Devon on many occasions from which stems his obvious enthusiasm and expertise. If you want to successfully grow your own chillies or just simply understand more about them then this is the book for you. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top job, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
I already knew a bit about chillies but found this an invaluable source of information with some excellent photos. Would be perfect for the novice grower too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on the market for chilli growers, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
By far the best book on the market about growing chillies, nothing has been missed out. I would recommend it 100 % to any budding chilli grower.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Buy for New Chilli Growers, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
As a novice gardener I found this a great introduction to Chillies. All the questions I had come up with were answered in a factual and concise way, without all the usual 'expert' speak that can confuse a novice. If you fancy getting into growing chillies this is the best tenner you'll ever spend, especially if you're in the UK as the other book I bought was not so helpful at advising about cooler climate growing. I've started late in the season but the bonus is that the plastic greenhouses are 30 percent off at this time of year, lets hope they survive the winter gales :)

5.0 out of 5 stars great info, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
Bought this for my son who is a beginner at chilli growing. Very comprehensive, covers everything you need to know from seeds to plants, care, diseases and what to do with your crop. Son very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Growing Chillies by Jack Nickels, 11 Sep 2013
J. S. Garner "angwella" (U. K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
No nonsense and very clear in how you should go about them. He totally de- mistifies? ( not sure on spelling) and you feel comfortable in all that is written. It reads well and I will be growing more. From 4 plants (this year 2013) got 7.5 lbs of chillies and they are preserved in various ways, again from the book. Good Great.

4.0 out of 5 stars chillies, 5 Mar 2014
consise info well written plenty of info on the varied chillis available i would recomend it to new and old growers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For a Novice Grower, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
I'm a 'wing-and-a-prayer' sort of a grower (but lucky to have quite green fingers) and this isn't an approach that works with chillies, which I have failed miserably with in the past. Now I not only know what I have been doing wrong but also that I have started out with one of the hardest chillies to grow - the chocolate habanero!

I found the basic layout of this book to be easily digestible, with tips and instructions that are easy to understand without being patronising - something that I find 'experts' have a tendency to be at times. There is a table listing various varieties, their heat rating, their level of difficulty, etc that I found very useful and perhaps most importantly, the author unravels the mystery of the various names often given to the same variety by growers and supermarkets.

I note that someone has commented that this is a book written to make money (that's me paraphrasing) and I can perhaps see that as it isn't very heavy on content. On the other hand, I guess the author is potentially doing himself out of business by teaching people to grow his product themselves and although I can understand why someone with a more comprehensive knowledge of chilli growing might find this book a little basic, that is exactly what I wanted.

If you're advanced enough in your growing to know varieties, heat ratings, basic pests/disease problems and growing methods, don't bother with this book but if you're a novice like me, I'd highly recommend it. And even if you just want to brush up on your chilli terminology to show off to the foodie in your life, this might be the book for you. Do you know how to pronounce "chipotle'? I didn't but now I do!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking book, haven't used it yet but looks pretty comprehensive., 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
Bright cover, good photographs inside. Haven't used it yet, not chilli growing season yet but I expect it will be useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want chillis you got them, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Growing Chillies (Paperback)
Everything you need to know, stuff to watch out for. If you want to grow more chillis or have problems growing them before, get this book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Growing Chillies
Growing Chillies by Jason Adam Nickels (Paperback - 20 Nov 2012)
11.99